Do jump cues hammer your cloth?

Nyquil

I would like to learn this secondary skill but I don't wanna put deep gouges on my 860hr. For you guys that have experience with jump cues and have home tables is it pretty easy to get proficient where you are not marring up your cloth?

Thanks
Brent

middleofnowhere

Registered
I would like to learn this secondary skill but I don't wanna put deep gouges on my 860hr. For you guys that have experience with jump cues and have home tables is it pretty easy to get proficient where you are not marring up your cloth?

Thanks
Brent
I pretty much destroyed mine I probably jumped thousands of balls. I have since recovered it myself. You can do two things just to develop the technique. Jump off of a piece of cloth and get a piece of indoor outdoor carpeting for the ball to land on then you're not banging up your table at all. And you can develop the jumping technique.

Last edited:

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Done properly, a jump won’t do any more damage than a strong break. It will leave small, dot like burn marks, but those are just that, marks. They don’t affect playability at all.

As mentioned, for practice, and especially to learn, use a small piece of scrap cloth under the cue ball. Remember also, if your cue tip is striking the table, you’re doing it wrong!

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't allow jumping on my home table. Mostly though to protect the rails from dents that balls could make bouncing off the play surface on to the rail top as I have a Diamond with maple wood cherry finish, and one of our friends when jumping, put a small circular dent in the rail top when a ball was leaving the table. Couple of our friends teased me about it when I put a stop to jumping, but I told them they were better players than me anyway and shouldn't need to jump to beat me. They would chuckle at that. It's really fun playing safety's on them now to where they would normally just take out their jump stick to get out of it. If you would like to jump on your home table, just put a piece of cloth down when doing it to help protect it.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I practice jumps at home on 860hr. From my perspective, part of having a home table is for practicing shots I intend to use in a pool hall. As mentioned earlier, I don’t find more damage than the little mark we get when breaking. Actually, I almost wish I could wear out the cloth faster so I could justify recovering and re-railing my table. Simonis just doesn’t wear out.

PracticeChampion

Yep I do a whole lot of kicking on my home table instead of jumping cause there will be a white permanent dot everywhere you jump. My son thought he would teach himself on my last table when I wasn't around and put 7 little cuts in the clothe before he realized it

SlateMan

Registered
I practice jumps at home on 860hr. From my perspective, part of having a home table is for practicing shots I intend to use in a pool hall. As mentioned earlier, I don’t find more damage than the little mark we get when breaking. Actually, I almost wish I could wear out the cloth faster so I could justify recovering and re-railing my table. Simonis just doesn’t wear out.
I thought mine was about done. Then I read the posts about cleaning the cloth with Woolite. I did that and boom, it looks new again. I guess that saved me some money!

SlateMan

Registered
I would add to get a good cue ball and ball set. If you have cheap balls, they will mark the cloth much faster.
See previous discussions here:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
As already stated, don't expect any more damage then you would from a decent break shot. The only difference being that the jump "marks" will be spattered randomly around the table, rather than the focused location that all tables suffer from after a multitude of break shots.

Cloth colour will also determine how visible the marks will be.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
Jump, break, masse and strong draw shots can leave burn marks. if you're worried, use a patch.

MitchAlsup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jumping will put divots in the cloth.

But consider, a ball on the side rail and OB near the corner pocket. A heavy draw stroke with the CB on the rail will put the EXACT SAME pock mark on the cloth as a jump anywhere on the table.

It is just the nature of the beast.

Note: polished balls put smaller pock marks on the cloth compared to dirty balls.

A jump from 1 foot away from interfering ball can be performed without leaving a pock mark on the cloth.

Nyquil

I don't allow jumping on my home table. Mostly though to protect the rails from dents that balls could make bouncing off the play surface on to the rail top as I have a Diamond with maple wood cherry finish, and one of our friends when jumping, put a small circular dent in the rail top when a ball was leaving the table. Couple of our friends teased me about it when I put a stop to jumping, but I told them they were better players than me anyway and shouldn't need to jump to beat me. They would chuckle at that. It's really fun playing safety's on them now to where they would normally just take out their jump stick to get out of it. If you would like to jump on your home table, just put a piece of cloth down when doing it to help protect it.
I can understand that. They are expensive.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Masse shots are what hammers the cloth as the tip will hit the cloth/slate and you’ll blast holes in it if you hit it hard enough. Jump shots you get marks as noted above. IMO that’s just part of pool and the normal wear and tear on cloth, comes with playing.

Cloths not too expensive and those marks don’t hurt anything. I think a properly worn/used cloth looks better than new cloth. The first few marks stand out and look bad but get a couple hundred of them and you’ll have a proper looking “Players” table. Not a “home” table.

have fun!
Fatboy😀

Cuedup

I got out the slow mo video to find out where all the marks were coming from since I wasnt hitting the cloth with my tip when jumping.

Turns out it was coming from the ball not the cue.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I got out the slow mo video to find out where all the marks were coming from since I wasnt hitting the cloth with my tip when jumping.

Turns out it was coming from the ball not the cue.
That’s correct and won’t hurt the cloth. If you hit the tip on the cloth you’ll know. It’s loud and you’ll feel it through the cue. The trick shot guys tear up the cloth fast, destroy it-but that’s their game and it just is part of it. Pool players jumping balls or breaking hard just mark up the cloth with the CB, it’s insignificant.

if you tap on your balls for racking purposes you would be surprised how hard you have to tap them to get a meaningful divot in the cloth to hold the ball in place in the rack. You have to pound them and in a few days the cloth can become normal and you have to retap them in again. After a couple times the divot will stay.

You will not get any divots or damage to the cloth jumping using good balls on simonis. Just burn marks-harmless

best
Fatboy

Nyquil

Thanks for the comments all. I play every night at this point so I already got a bunch of burn marks due to draw drills/breaking etc. I was worried about gouges. Sounds like a pad is a good idea just to be on the safe side. My balls are the duramith aramith's and I do keep them clean via the diamond ball polisher. I read a few you recommended the woolite for burn marks RKC had mentioned he uses this method. Next month I may try it out I have just been vacuuming up to this point.