Do you move balls using the body of a carbon fiber shaft?

Do you move balls using the body of a carbon fiber shaft?

• Yes, no issues so far

Votes: 28 87.5%
  • Yes, but I damaged the shaft doing that

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, I never use the shaft for that

Votes: 4 12.5%

• Total voters

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like the title says - do you move balls around the table using the body (so not the tip) of the shaft when you're practicing, setting up a shot, placing the cue ball, gathering balls or whatever?

Apart from the awful sound it makes compared to wood, are you afraid it might damage the shaft in the long run?
And, unlike wooden shafts, carbon fiber shafts are not really all that conducive to repairs or buffing out minor dings or scratches, so any damage would be that much more painful.

skiergd011013

Yes, very gently, as i always have done with any cue. I dont wack/swat them like ive seen others do. I gently put the cue up against the ball and then give it a push. If the ball is far away, i put the cue ontop of it and roll it toward me. If someone is making an awful sound moving a ball with their stick, then they are wacking the ball with it. I just spent my tax money on a custom cue with a cf shaft. Im going to try to keep this one nice (my old mcdermott is beat to hell). I see no issue doing this gently. My shaft is advertised as dent and warp resistant. It says that harsh impacts with sharp edges and corners will dent it. I do not see gently pushing balls around damaging a cf shaft whatsoever.
20220529_205530.jpg

Last edited:

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Carbon wont dent, but it is brittle. However, hitting something round and smooth like a pool ball, you'd have to apply a LOT of force to harm the fibers. Smacking something sharp wouldn't require as much force though.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I fearlessly do it the same as I would a wood shaft but never worry about the shaft. I’d be more concerned about dinging the finish of a wood shaft before I’d worry about damaging a CF shaft.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My cue is a tool. I don't baby my tools. Either they take the abuse, or I get better tools. My cf shaft is a few years old and has a ton of miles on it, and with NO effort to "baby" it, it looks as good as the day I got it.

MeeLosh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everybody for contributing. Sounds like we have a consensus that nobody experienced any damage whatsoever from gently moving or even banging balls around the table using the body of a carbon fiber shaft.
This should come in handy in the future for people wondering about this (non-)issue, as there's not much info on it out there.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everybody for contributing. Sounds like we have a consensus that nobody experienced any damage whatsoever from gently moving or even banging balls around the table using the body of a carbon fiber shaft.
This should come in handy in the future for people wondering about this (non-)issue, as there's not much info on it out there.
Where you run into problems is when you strike the edge of something like the table, light, furniture. Just knocking around round pool balls will never hurt one. You REALLY have to try to damage a cf shaft.

skiergd011013

Where you run into problems is when you strike the edge of something like the table, light, furniture. Just knocking around round pool balls will never hurt one. You REALLY have to try to damage a cf shaft.
the only thing i dont do with it is use it for masse shots or hitting hard on the cueball while jack'd up, like when attempting draw off the rail when the cueball is close to it. My cuemaker specifically says not to do this, because driving the shaft into the slate can damage the cf. For crazy shots like that i grab a house cue.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the only thing i dont do with it is use it for masse shots or hitting hard on the cueball while jack'd up, like when attempting draw off the rail when the cueball is close to it. My cuemaker specifically says not to do this, because driving the shaft into the slate can damage the cf. For crazy shots like that i grab a house cue.
if you're driving the cue into the slate you're doing it wrong.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
accidents happen and i dont want it to be a $500 accident.
i've played 40+yrs of pool and have never driven a cue into the bed of a table while playing a shot. even if this was to happen the force used to play those shots is not going to damage the shaft. maybe show-off shots like the 3c guys shoot or the trick shot artists but not just playing pool. non issue and nothing to worry about.

chenjy9

I think that 1) a CF staff is pretty dent resistant and 2) balls are not resistant at all to being moved (they are round and not glued down) so assuming you aren't using it like a golf club and t-ing off, you should have 0 issues. I move balls with mine quite often and never had any issues.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yes, very gently, as i always have done with any cue. I dont wack/swat them like ive seen others do. I gently put the cue up against the ball and then give it a push. If the ball is far away, i put the cue ontop of it and roll it toward me. If someone is making an awful sound moving a ball with their stick, then they are wacking the ball with it. I just spent my tax money on a custom cue with a cf shaft. Im going to try to keep this one nice (my old mcdermott is beat to hell). I see no issue doing this gently. My shaft is advertised as dent and warp resistant. It says that harsh impacts with sharp edges and corners will dent it. I do not see gently pushing balls around damaging a cf shaft whatsoever. View attachment 644185
what he said in bold

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I still gently use the end of the shaft.....same as I do with my wood shafts. Old habits are hard to break. :)