Do you play better pool after a long time of playing or a short time of playing pool?

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meaning, when you are playing a match does it take you a long time to get in stroke and play good or a short time to get in stroke and play good pool. And why is this?

I think I play better up front quick into the match or set.
Because I think a lot about what I am doing while playing the match. My thoughts are on the game all the way! Concentrating on what is going on with my pool game and my playing the match real good.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

RunEm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meaning, when you are playing a match does it take you a long time to get in stroke and play good or a short time to get in stroke and play good pool. And why is this?

I think I play better up front quick into the match or set.
Because I think a lot about what I am doing while playing the match. My thoughts are on the game all the way! Concentrating on what is going on with my pool game and my playing the match real good.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

I get everything on pretty quick but I like too show up lil early and get the feel of the tables felt rails ect

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I need 30 minutes - 1 hour to get in stroke. - In practice mode
In match I need 10-15 minutes, minimum 2-3 racks.

Last edited:

Harold Smith

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I get in stroke pretty quick and when I was younger could get better as time went on. But that was my younger days, now I still start quick and stay that way for 4 or 5 hours, the age starts to get me. My back starts getting tired, my feet start hurting, feel like I would rather be taking a nap than playing. Being 70 has its problems, but its lots better than the other option.---Smitty

The Gooch

Funny you say that

I get in stroke pretty quick and when I was younger could get better as time went on. But that was my younger days, now I still start quick and stay that way for 4 or 5 hours, the age starts to get me. My back starts getting tired, my feet start hurting, feel like I would rather be taking a nap than playing. Being 70 has its problems, but its lots better than the other option.---Smitty

I am 36 and feel the same way. At the start I shoot OK, then catch my stroke for a few hours, after that it is time to go home. In my case, I believe (hope?) it is more mental fatigue, but I share your feelings on the back and feet. It is something I feel I need to work on.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
I play better the longer I play. Right aroung the 5 hour mark, I tend to be complety adjusted and shooting naturally rather than forcing eveything. Lately it has taken me a little longer to get into that zone because of lack of play.

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just thinking about this subject the other day! good thread!

I used to be a "feel" player, basically using no systems or aiming methods, and it used to take me 1/2 an hour or so to get going....sometimes more....sometimes not at aland always questioning why? I was by no means a bad player, but I knew I had BIG issues that, if I wanted to get past my present plateau, had to be dealt with. This issue forced me to deconstruct my game and rebuild using what I have learned from some good folks here on AZB, and over the phone.

Now, I pretty much am in stroke from the first ball. Having the confidence that the way I relearned the game will not fail me, is gold! There is no more missing shots when I "thought" I was aiming correctly.....that was torture! and caused me to quit the game countless times.

Only dumb thing is I waited til I was 45 to learn it :)

I never put much stock in systems, but while playing a friend, and local table mechanic, I questioned him about the systems he told me he used. He told me there were NO shots he took that he didn't use a system for :speechless: hmmm! So I took the time to relearn and never looked back.

You won't see me ranting in aiming threads, but if you want to know how I do it just ask. Also, if you are a new player just learning the game, trust me, find a system you like and master it, then try another :)

G.

weakfingers

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great question.

Some times, it takes me a long time to get into stroke, but I find that this only happens if I'm not really feeling it. If I'm mentally prepared, I can often hop out of the gate and I'm good to go.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just thinking about this subject the other day! good thread!

I used to be a "feel" player, basically using no systems or aiming methods, and it used to take me 1/2 an hour or so to get going....sometimes more....sometimes not at aland always questioning why? I was by no means a bad player, but I knew I had BIG issues that, if I wanted to get past my present plateau, had to be dealt with. This issue forced me to deconstruct my game and rebuild using what I have learned from some good folks here on AZB, and over the phone.

Now, I pretty much am in stroke from the first ball. Having the confidence that the way I relearned the game will not fail me, is gold! There is no more missing shots when I "thought" I was aiming correctly.....that was torture! and caused me to quit the game countless times.

Only dumb thing is I waited til I was 45 to learn it :)

I never put much stock in systems, but while playing a friend, and local table mechanic, I questioned him about the systems he told me he used. He told me there were NO shots he took that he didn't use a system for :speechless: hmmm! So I took the time to relearn and never looked back.

You won't see me ranting in aiming threads, but if you want to know how I do it just ask. Also, if you are a new player just learning the game, trust me, find a system you like and master it, then try another :)

G.

I like your post. It shows that a person can improve their pool game no matter what age they are. It also shows that you can learn something new that will help your pool game. Thanks for your good input.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Mr. Lock,

I think I can & do get playing well quckly, but the longer I play the better I get. The feel just gets better & better & I get more & more precise. The more I play the better the connection I have with the cue ball until I am the cue ball or at least it's a part of me.

I don't see how one could not get better after playing for a while on a table.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.

Best of ALL to Ya &

bigshooter

<--vs Chuck Norris on TAR
Silver Member
I used to play better and better the longer I played. Now with some age, a few surgeries, extra weight and battle scars I can only play to certain point then I really go down hill.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to play better and better the longer I played. Now with some age, a few surgeries, extra weight and battle scars I can only play to certain point then I really go down hill.

Bigshooter,
Lock thinks you play well all the time!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mr. Lock,

I think I can & do get playing well quckly, but the longer I play the better I get. The feel just gets better & better & I get more & more precise. The more I play the better the connection I have with the cue ball until I am the cue ball or at least it's a part of me.

I don't see how one could not get better after playing for a while on a table.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing.

Best of ALL to Ya &

Mr. English,
We are talking about the same thing, pool playing. Look at what Bigshooter said! It is like that some times. You are the man! I like the way you play.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

ddadams

Absolutely love this cue.
Silver Member
During matches when I'm not playing vs normal friends I take around a rack or two to get into serious mode.

When I'm playing my friend who taught me to play I come for the prize right out of the gate because I know how good he really is compared to me, even if it isn't a LOT better nowadays.

But in general? I get better with more time under the lights. Until I get really physically tired. I would say 2+hours in->6 hours in is prime. After that it's downhill.

Mentally I get enough of a rush of doing great that I just stop caring as much about doing well.

Wish I could stop it entirely but I'm getting better at it. It used to be 1-2 hours and then I stopped trying so hard.

With time..

RoelG

Registered
I usually get in the zone after 2 hours.

In tournament this isn't always ideal. The first (two) matches I need some luck in the draw. When I catch a good player in the first (or second) round, then I'm usually toast...

I'm working on that tough... practicing "cold exercises".

Grts,

Roel

Gerry

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like your post. It shows that a person can improve their pool game no matter what age they are. It also shows that you can learn something new that will help your pool game. Thanks for your good input.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Glad you liked the post. On the same lines, just a month or so ago, I learned how to transfer my method over to banking. Again, I used to "feel" bank and have good/bad days when the shots looked the same? Now, I KNOW what I need to do to make the bank....no guessing.

Yesterday I videoed a short rack banks practice session with i don't know how many 3's/4's, but I also banked 6 and 7 twice! I was NEVER that kind of bank player in my life! ever.

I'm going to edit the junk out of the video, and try to upload it to Vimeo, or Ustream it maybe.

G.

CreeDo

Fargo Rating 597
Silver Member
Sometimes I think I play my best pool fresh off the sidewalk, without hitting a ball. Definitely I lose interest and focus as it wears on. I walk into the room in the mood to hit some balls, especially if I was just watching a good match video earlier that day. The mood wears off over time even if I shoot pretty good.

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
Mr. English,
We are talking about the same thing, pool playing. Look at what Bigshooter said! It is like that some times. You are the man! I like the way you play.
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.

Yeah Mr. Lock,

At 59 I might be headed in that direction, but it is amazing what the adrenaline from the love of the game can get out of an old battle worn body. The hard part to over come is when the eyes go bad.

How did Toby Keith say it?

'I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was'.:wink:

All the Best To You Sir &

SloMoHolic

When will then be now?
Silver Member
Sometimes I think I play my best pool fresh off the sidewalk, without hitting a ball.
Same here. Often, I'll put my cues together and get a B&R or two. Then, I tend to slump a little bit for the next hour or so. If I can manage to push through that hour, I start getting better and better. After about two hours, I'm usually playing near my best, and tend to continue improving for several more hours.

Once I'm past six hours, I get into that mode where I'm playing super clean and I never want to quit. I've been known to play for 40 or more hours straight from time to time. :)

-Blake

Lock N Load

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Same here. Often, I'll put my cues together and get a B&R or two. Then, I tend to slump a little bit for the next hour or so. If I can manage to push through that hour, I start getting better and better. After about two hours, I'm usually playing near my best, and tend to continue improving for several more hours.

Once I'm past six hours, I get into that mode where I'm playing super clean and I never want to quit. I've been known to play for 40 or more hours straight from time to time. :)

-Blake

Wow!
Many Regards,
Lock N Load.