Does anyone play with late 70s/early 80s Richard Black cues?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you guys know what different joints Richard used over the years? I have one made in 94 with a piloted ivory (I think it's 5/16 14) and I might want to buy another one of his in the future.
Don't wait long. He's been at it over 40yrs and is getting up there. As far as joints, all i've seen is 5/16 piloted steel and 3/8x10 big pin ivory. I've owned two and still regret selling the Hoppe i had. Second one he made, first was for some hack named Mizerak. ;)

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you guys know what different joints Richard used over the years? I have one made in 94 with a piloted ivory (I think it's 5/16 14) and I might want to buy another one of his in the future.

I have one which is flat faced steel 5/16x18 and one which is piloted ivory 5/16x18.

sddale2001

Registered
Richard is really only doing higher end one of a kind stuff now so I'm just keeping an eye out on the used market in case something catches my eye.

There have been a few stainless steel jointed cues but I'm partial to the ivory ones since that's what I've been playing with.

chasrwest

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve owned a few throughout the years, recently sold my 81 Hustler and loved that cue. I have three now with a fourth being built. The Hustler has an Ivory joint big pin, it is a good playing cue, all the cues I’ve owned of his have played good, some better than others.
My player now is a big pin Ivory joint Titlist he made for me a couple years back and it is the best playing cue I have ever shot with. Although, I’m a little biased when it comes to his cues, I consider him a friend.
The fourth cue that is being built will be called “The Copper Baron” and should be done before too long.

There is a good reason you don’t see very many for sell!

IMO... He is the most creative cue builder to ever live, an artist. His designs are stuff of legend. Aside from the design standpoint, they play pretty sporty. Awesome cues, better man.
JCM

It doesn't exactly fit the OP question, but I play daily with a Richard Black hustler model as well. Bought it from him new in 1993 for $300 dollars. I can't imagine ever selling this cue. I love the no point or inlay curly maple on it, simple and elegant. :thumbup:

I believe that '93 was the last year he made the hustler model, btw.

Last edited:

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you compare the hit between these two?

To be honest I haven't played much with the ivory jointed cue. The shafts have crazy high deflection. It generates tons of cue ball action but I have trouble making balls when using left or right spin. It does feel a bit softer to me though compared to steel.

I am in love with the flat faced steel joint cue. It hits hard with quite a bit of feedback.

I have played with all of the cues in my collection at one time or another but try to stick to one main player. Small differences in shafts and weight take me a bit to get used to when using spin.

Rtoron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have had several Black cues. Every one played good. I have had over 80 custom cues by big time cue makers and I like Black's cues the best. I now have a Split Diamond Richard Black that I think is probably the best built cue of all the Black's I have owned. The balance of his cues is perfect. A 19.8 oz. Cue feels about 19.0 oz.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Now I want a 1978 Richard Black player...my birth year.
I keep an eye for a 1983 for the same reason. My daily player is a 1990 Bushka model with a 3/8 x 10 ivory joint and some extra inlays and ringwork. Black hit a home run with this cue. The taper, the balance, weight, hit, everything is just right for me. The single layer tips I think were his own, but even if they are just run of the mill LePros, I love the hit. The cue just plays wonderfully. For reference, I also have a Tasc, Gina, and Hercek in the stable and the RB is my favorite.

HOWEVER - and I say this as someone who loves his RB cue to death - I agree with jason that if you get bothered by details not being perfect, his cues are probably not up your alley. All IMO of course.

Last edited: