Does anyone want to improve their game?

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about this?
You reverse the handicap. The weaker you are the more your entry fee and let's say (for now no handicap) the better you are the less you pay "so A's pay like $50 or somewhere in there and D's pay like $100 or so. Do you think that a person will be more willing to get better so that they can pay the lesser entry fee? Or would they not show
And now let's add the handicap, what do you think will happen then?

See pool is the leading sport that punishes a person for getting better so honestly where's the incentive for one to get better if the entry fee and the spot goes up?

I think people "like Doug" are mixing being fair with getting help and I think Doug is being a bit of a jerk and sounds bitter, also I think he was contradicting himself a few times. You say NO HANDICAP, EVERY PLAY EVEN" yet you don't feel ready to play pro events. If everyone thought like you then we'd be seeing 12 man pro events and incase you missed it it's exactly what would happen you you local event. I don't want to come across the wrong way here but I think you Doug is being a bit of a jerk assuming everyone feels the same way that you do and by forcing or trying to impart your up bringing on another person.

I step you game up, go play some pro events "pay your dues", get better and come back and show these low life scum that no matter what spot they get it won't be enough cause you are a GOD. Be a leader and show them how it's done show them what "paying dues" over and over and over can produce.

FYI
some people just want to come out and have some fun, it's not about winning it's just about being in the race, they just want to know that they lasted, that they got to go home late cause they were "still in it". They don't have time to put 3hrs into breaking and 40 hrs a week with regular lessons from Scott just to play once a week in a $10 tourney.

(I started back still paying out $5 or $10 to weaker players who don't gamble, just so I still have to bring my game and maybe they'll play better, all the while knowing if they lose it's no biggie cause maybe they were anyway, but if they win, oh boy if they win songs will be sang across the taverns)

Doug the horse

Registered
How about this?
You reverse the handicap. The weaker you are the more your entry fee and let's say (for now no handicap) the better you are the less you pay "so A's pay like $50 or somewhere in there and D's pay like $100 or so. Do you think that a person will be more willing to get better so that they can pay the lesser entry fee? Or would they not show
And now let's add the handicap, what do you think will happen then?

See pool is the leading sport that punishes a person for getting better so honestly where's the incentive for one to get better if the entry fee and the spot goes up?

I think people "like Doug" are mixing being fair with getting help and I think Doug is being a bit of a jerk and sounds bitter, also I think he was contradicting himself a few times. You say NO HANDICAP, EVERY PLAY EVEN" yet you don't feel ready to play pro events. If everyone thought like you then we'd be seeing 12 man pro events and incase you missed it it's exactly what would happen you you local event. I don't want to come across the wrong way here but I think you Doug is being a bit of a jerk assuming everyone feels the same way that you do and by forcing or trying to impart your up bringing on another person.

I step you game up, go play some pro events "pay your dues", get better and come back and show these low life scum that no matter what spot they get it won't be enough cause you are a GOD. Be a leader and show them how it's done show them what "paying dues" over and over and over can produce.

FYI
some people just want to come out and have some fun, it's not about winning it's just about being in the race, they just want to know that they lasted, that they got to go home late cause they were "still in it". They don't have time to put 3hrs into breaking and 40 hrs a week with regular lessons from Scott just to play once a week in a $10 tourney.

(I started back still paying out $5 or $10 to weaker players who don't gamble, just so I still have to bring my game and maybe they'll play better, all the while knowing if they lose it's no biggie cause maybe they were anyway, but if they win, oh boy if they win songs will be sang across the taverns)
I can understand why you may think I sound bitter. My apologies! I would play in a tourney that didn't have an entry fee or payback. I'm not there for the money or to STEAL from weaker players. I've tried to be as objective as possible in my posts and see more sides to the issue than my own. I don't play pro pool events out of respect. I don't take my bat and glove to the MLB game and say "put me in coach"! My dissatisfaction with the current state of pool has to do with the "sandbagging " mentality and the "I'm just a social player " who doesn't really care. I'm not against these types of players having a tournament for them to compete in, they already do! I just want to know what happened to the pool hall tournament that used to be the norm. Where you played your best game. You won because you earned it! And it was a friendly rivalry amongst players who all could play and still wanted to improve! Maybe it's just out of style. Lots of things I grew up with are.

7forlife

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can understand why you may think I sound bitter. My apologies! I would play in a tourney that didn't have an entry fee or payback. I'm not there for the money or to STEAL from weaker players. I've tried to be as objective as possible in my posts and see more sides to the issue than my own. I don't play pro pool events out of respect. I don't take my bat and glove to the MLB game and say "put me in coach"! My dissatisfaction with the current state of pool has to do with the "sandbagging " mentality and the "I'm just a social player " who doesn't really care. I'm not against these types of players having a tournament for them to compete in, they already do! I just want to know what happened to the pool hall tournament that used to be the norm. Where you played your best game. You won because you earned it! And it was a friendly rivalry amongst players who all could play and still wanted to improve! Maybe it's just out of style. Lots of things I grew up with are.

I hear you and also respect you for not flaming in your reply.

rpandrew

Owner, SeriousPool.com
I do the same in professional tournaments...but instead of $10, it is $300-$500 plus hotel, plus...plus... There is no realistic chance for me to win, but I will enjoy playing with the much better players and possibly beating a few other amateurs that are also there for the experience.