does the coach have to be a champion? i think not

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never said that an instructor has to be a champion.
I said that an instructor needs to be someone who has played under pressure and is still capable of playing under pressure and can show some heart against someone who is dead set on burning his ass in competition. That's where the rubber hits the road, in my opinion.
Not a "fat belly" who blows smoke with a silly grin about how much he knows, and the number of years he has been 'teaching', but never shoots any serious pool against someone who is a player.
Another poster here, said it well about he "never had a math teacher who couldn't do the math that was being taught."
Talk is cheap, you know.
:wink:

I don't know who the "fat Belly" is. Care to name him?

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I hope you don't mind my .o2$ OP, I wouldn't take a lesson from someone I could consistently beat or that couldn't run the table fairly often, unless of course, age had gotten the better of their skill. Some of the pros on here, have seen video of them playing and they couldn't pot three in a row.

Huge difference between being great and skills diminished over time, and never being great.

Reminds me of the saying, "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach "

That said, if you ever talk to a truly great player(at least in my experience), most can't convey what they know about pool very well, so it's tricky to say the least.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I hope you don't mind my .o2$ OP, I wouldn't take a lesson from someone I could consistently beat or that couldn't run the table fairly often, unless of course, age had gotten the better of their skill. Some of the pros on here, have seen video of them playing and they couldn't pot three in a row.

Huge difference between being great and skills diminished over time, and never being great.

Reminds me of the saying, "Those who can, do; those who can't, teach "

That said, if you ever talk to a truly great player(at least in my experience), most can't convey what they know about pool very well, so it's tricky to say the least.

It's so hard to understand. Butch Harmon has the most tour PGA pros under his tutelage. But, I doubt if he even owns golf clubs! Probably hasn't played a round for years. Dustin Johnson needs to watch him shoot 67 on a tough golf course before he goes under as a student! Crazy. But, now we are asking our billiard teaching pros to maintain their stroke where they could win a national championship when they teach all day, doing handouts, designing a computer/projector system, etc. etc. THEY must maintain their fabulous stroke and combine massive run outs when there is no time. Amazing to me. BUT, that is the way it is. No wonder pool players do not take lessons.... they are asking too much even if they were inclined.

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's so hard to understand. Butch Harmon has the most tour PGA pros under his tutelage. But, I doubt if he even owns golf clubs! Probably hasn't played a round for years. Dustin Johnson needs to watch him shoot 67 on a tough golf course before he goes under as a student! Crazy. But, now we are asking our billiard teaching pros to maintain their stroke where they could win a national championship when they teach all day, doing handouts, designing a computer/projector system, etc. etc. THEY must maintain their fabulous stroke and combine massive run outs when there is no time. Amazing to me. BUT, that is the way it is. No wonder pool players do not take lessons.... they are asking too much even if they were inclined.

As a lifelong golfer, I gotta disagree, first Harmon was a tour pro, and also the son of a pro, and an excellent overall player, who also at his age still has a great swing.

If a teacher can't correct their own swing, then how can they correct mine? I have taken a ton of golf lessons, and I know club professionals often do negligent playing, but most can still shot in 70's or 80's after a few days of practice.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
As a lifelong golfer, I gotta disagree, first Harmon was a tour pro, and also the son of a pro, and an excellent overall player, who also at his age still has a great swing.

If a teacher can't correct their own swing, then how can they correct mine? I have taken a ton of golf lessons, and I know club professionals often do negligent playing, but most can still shot in 70's or 80's after a few days of practice.

I don't know about Butch and was using him in place of the other tour teachers. I was guessing about his golf game and did not mean to mention him personally. I've taken lessons from his clinic while living in LV. He may have a nice golf swing, even today, but compete with 30 year old TOUR players? And, I'll bet you $1 that if he never played golf again, his clientele would flourish as it does today. Nobody cares how he plays golf. This is what a lot of guys on here want a billiard teacher to be today. I think it takes a lot of time to maintain and most teachers just don't have that kind of time. Just my opinion, most disagree.

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also, places that offer a degree in pro golf management(the ones I looked at), which is pretty much a requirement to become a golf teacher all have minimum playing requirements.

All Universities had requirements in place regarding the level of play one must achieve before being able to even apply at the program. For instance, at one of the University, I was looking at applying for the PGM program, you had to have a handicap of 3.

I know the BCA has rules, but I don't think being able to run a certain number of balls is a requirement, but in my opinion, it should be.

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
Also, places that offer a degree in pro golf management(the ones I looked at), which is pretty much a requirement to become a golf teacher all have minimum playing requirements.

All Universities had requirements in place regarding the level of play one must achieve before being able to even apply at the program. For instance, at one of the University, I was looking at applying for the PGM program, you had to have a handicap of 3.

I know the BCA has rules, but I don't think being able to run a certain number of balls is a requirement, but in my opinion, it should be.

True enough, my son was a golf pro.
I don't know for sure but I'm guessing billiard teachers have been at the top of their games for years before they became teachers. At least the one I know has and can still play today.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Harmon was a PGA tour pro and won an event.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
True enough, my son was a golf pro.
I don't know for sure but I'm guessing billiard teachers have been at the top of their games for years before they became teachers. At least the one I know has and can still play today.

That is the funniest ca-ca I have read here in years.

Name them.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, he did. But, do you think his professional students care how he plays golf today?

No. Because he did the dew in the past. He has a resume. He has bona fides.

I just did a search for your guy and came up with exactly one video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jr_5CtzBNs

He talks and talks but never hits a ball, though it looks like he has a very nice 7' Diamond at his disposal. No matches at an Open event, nothing from the DCC, nothing from any event anywhere else. His bio on his home page is pretty bare.

He seems like a very nice guy but I see no reason to pay him a plugged nickel for pool instruction.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Please answer this question. You are a golfer and probably watch golf on TV. Do you think Butch Harmon's students CARE about how Butch plays golf today? Most pool players might find this interesting.

I agree with Lou on what he said. But, for the most part yes I do care.

For instance, I have an excellent understanding of the golf swing, read dozens of book on the game, played 20+ years. I can videotape myself and analyze it, in the end I need someone better than me to guide me, to be better than me I feel you really have had played the game more than me, at least to understand the golf swing better than me.

Can someone who was never a good player be a great coach, sure. But, I wouldn't have much trust in them without a stellar resume. David Leadbetter comes to mind, never won an event, but a stellar resume.

Leadbetter had to have at least been a scratch player to compete on tour, and to be a club pro and have a 3 or 4 handicap means at one time he was a great player.

Having a 3 handicap is like being able to run 100 balls consistently in straight pool.

Would you take lessons from someone who never broke 25 ball high run in 14.1?

Low500

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Robin Dreyer.....probably a VERY dangerous player.

I've seen him play. Neither one of you have, anything else, you're guessing. So let's leave it like that.
-----------------

Last edited:
Reactions: JC

Bobkitty

Gold Member
Silver Member
I just watched the video featuring your coach Robin Dreyer.
I don't have to see him hit a ball....although I'd like to. (I have a hunch he could rob most of the pool shooters around this place). He's been under pressure...he knows what playing for some kind of stake, no matter how that stake is defined, means in the career of a sportsman.
Call it instinct, hoo-doo, or whatever....but I've always had good intuition in telling if someone is full of bull feathers. Not this guy, I detect no scent of mendacity there.
What he says about training, early beginnings, not even being allowed on the table until you've been trained somewhat, all are things I think would certainly help the game here in the USA. I probably won't live long enough to see it happen though. Pool players in our country are just too set in their ways, collectively speaking.
I think you've probably got a very good coach there. Stick with him.
I never met him and probably never will, but by golly I like him.
Keep on punchin'. :thumbup2:
Regards,
Lowenstein

Thanks for all of that. I appreciate it.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I just watched the video featuring your coach Robin Dreyer.
I don't have to see him hit a ball....although I'd like to. (I have a hunch he could rob most of the pool shooters around this place). He's been under pressure...he knows what playing for some kind of stake, no matter how that stake is defined, means in the career of a sportsman.
Call it instinct, hoo-doo, or whatever....but I've always had good intuition in telling if someone is full of bull feathers. Not this guy, I detect no scent of mendacity there.
What he says about training, early beginnings, not even being allowed on the table until you've been trained somewhat, all are things I think would certainly help the game here in the USA. I probably won't live long enough to see it happen though. Pool players in our country are just too set in their ways, collectively speaking.
I think you've probably got a very good coach there. Stick with him.
I never met him and probably never will, but by golly I like him.
Keep on punchin'. :thumbup2:
Regards,
Lowenstein
Lowenstein
they wont let me send you another greenie but your instincts are spot on correct .
robin is not just a good but a great coach
:thumbup:
robin on a table can do amazing things even tho he now has some physical impairments that preclude him from really being able to compete yet he can demonstrate what he has to during a lesson

Last edited:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I just did a search for your guy and came up with exactly one video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jr_5CtzBNs

He talks and talks but never hits a ball, though it looks like he has a very nice 7' Diamond at his disposal. No matches at an Open event, nothing from the DCC, nothing from any event anywhere else. His bio on his home page is pretty bare.

He seems like a very nice guy but I see no reason to pay him a plugged nickel for pool instruction.

Lou Figueroa

lou
you have made it clear you only want to take a lesson from a champion whose accomplishments are in the books
and thats ok
so i wouldnt expect you to take or want to take a lesson from robin dreyer
but dont put down robin dryer because he never won a pool authority sanctioned major championship since you never met him or taken a lesson from him so there is no way for you to know what he does or doesnt know or what he can do on a pool table
have a nice day....

Last edited:

Snooker Theory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen him play. Neither one of you have, anything else, you're guessing. So let's leave it like that.

What the heck type of response was that, how did you transpose to that, from what we were discussing exactly? I don't agree with your point so you resort to "Neither one of you have, anything else, you're guessing" ? Seriously?!??

Anyways, please explain how in the world you know who I have or have not seen??? Sounds like you're the one guessing bud

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Lou Figueroa
lou
i heard thru the grapevine that you went to freddy "the beard" bentivegna's house for a lesson and i guess didnt think you got your moneys worth and refused or didnt pay him
.if thats true i guess you didnt think freddy was worth "a plugged nickel" either.
any truth to this rumor?
rest in peace freddy.
thank you for your knowledge that you shared
bank on brother..:thumbup: