Don't counter lucky play with safeties!

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And I don't know what bar rules you're talking about, but here, if you slop an opponent's ball in but also drop one of yours, you can continue shooting.

Even if you hit the other ball first?

Are you basically saying that the only rule that is in effect in these theoretical games is "have a ball drop somewhere" no matter what or how they are hit?

Let's say this again, there are no "bar rules". There are rules, and then there are rules that people say are rules because they have heard from their uncle's friend that he happened to overhear 2 drunks saying once that is how to play.

In the short run, any joker with a cue can win a game every so often from a better player, especially when you start taking away any type of rules that a game would be played by. I could win at twister against Mr Fantasic also if there were no rules that I actually had to touch a color, just stand there on the plastic. I'd also do pretty well against an Army sniper if the only rule we had was "pull the trigger" without the need to hit anything.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First of all, there is no such thing as an "experienced banger". With experience one won't be a banger any more, that is, if they want to get better. Any one who can play a lick knows this. There is no such thing as a mid level banger, for the same reason. You continue to insist that you know what you're talking about when, time after time, people with 40-50 years of experience tell you different. This is why a lot of us feel that you are not who and what you would like us to think you are.
The only advantage that bangers have is that they are unpredictable and that will only allow them to win against a decent player once every fourth or fifth blue moon.
Let me tell you a story, about a guy we'll call Ernie, 'cause that was his name:wink: Ernie just didn't have the mental capacity to learn to play so he just, in pool parlance, "rode the 9" a lot, ie: he shot with a hard stroke without actually aiming an actual shot. He played in the only large in-house league we ever had at the room. One night his opponent was an A player, at least when his game was on. Ernie beat this guy, badly, so badly in fact, that he quit the league that night. Fast forward a few years to the first B C Open 9 Ball Championship in Binghamton, NY put on by road player turned promoter Gary Pinkowski.
Ernie ponied up the money to play in the tournament, just so he could say he did. His first match was with a well known pro player from Ohio, who, it was rumored, might be playing good enough to take down the tournament and the $25.000.00 first prize. Their match was on the table next to the one Steve Mizerak was playing on so several of us locals saw both matches. Ernie began playing his usual "poke and hope" style and the pro was running out when Ernie missed, which he did often, seldom not leaving a shot for such an experienced opponent. At one point, the pro turned to the gallery with a questioning look on his face, then shrugged and went to the table and began to play the exact same way as Ernie but knowing how both the object ball and cue ball would react and where they would end up.
In the above mentioned league match, well, that was the only one Ernie won the whole session. You can play that way in a one-on-one situation and occasionally win but not very often. In the tournament, the Ohio pro took pity on Ernie and played the whole rest of the match the same as Ernie. Ernie lost, 9-0.

Last edited:

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know why so many are getting down on the OP?? Pool could use a good shot in the arm of people who play and think like he does. Some of my most enjoyable times playing was against people that think exactly like he does! There used to be a lot of them around, today, not so many. Nothing quite like someone telling you how to play while the whole time he ends up paying for your night out. :grin:

DAVE_M

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
With posts like "on the black"; I think you're talking about the wrong game.

See in America, we have a black ball numbered 8... We call it the 8 ball.

This isn't AZsnooker forums.

Cdryden

Pool Addict
Silver Member
I don't know why so many are getting down on the OP?? Pool could use a good shot in the arm of people who play and think like he does. Some of my most enjoyable times playing was against people that think exactly like he does! There used to be a lot of them around, today, not so many. Nothing quite like someone telling you how to play while the whole time he ends up paying for your night out. :grin:

You're right Neil, players like this are getting scarce. ;)