Dr. Dave Schools Neil deGrasse Tyson in Billiards Physics

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am very excited to announce a podcast I just did with the famous astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson to discuss the physics of billiards. Please check it out!

Here's my shortened and illustrated version focusing on all the interesting billiards physics stuff, with lots of example shot video, illustrations, images, and animations:

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
sorry dave but i had to turn it off. tyson was like a fish out of the water and who was that other guy who kept interrupting with stupid comments.
it certainly wasnt what i envisioned.
it was more like the talking heads on a sports show.

you were excellent as usual though.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Opposite viewpoint (from maha) here...enjoyed it very much. Dr. Dave showed his teaching skills well..and demonstrated patience.
Would have been cool if a clip of Melling's amazing runout could have been shown. ;)

geoff_182

This is great, learned some new stuff also. Would love to see you on another episode, still much more to talk about.

When you were talking about how many shots ahead good player thinks about, and you mentioned 3 shots ahead in 9-ball, it would have been interesting to mention why it is 3 shots ahead. (because you want to have the correct angle on the next ball to get to the third ball) and how weaker players might think you just want to get straight on every ball, but really you want an angle to work with on most shots. That I think is one of the biggest downfalls for weaker league-level players who don't understand why they aren't getting much better.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
sorry dave but i had to turn it off. tyson was like a fish out of the water and who was that other guy who kept interrupting with stupid comments.
it certainly wasnt what i envisioned.
it was more like the talking heads on a sports show.

Their podcast series is designed to appeal to a wide audience (including non pool players). I am in the process of creating a "hard-core pool" version on my YouTube Channel, which will be full of illustrations and video examples (without some of the "non pool commentary"). I'll post it when it is available.

you were excellent as usual though.

Thanks!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
You did a really super job, Dave!

Thanks Mike!

I was happy with how it went. I thought they would edit out some of my stuff, but they included literally every second we recorded.

I made a few mistakes I wish I could have gotten them to fix or edit out, but nothing major. For example, I said "The Color of Money" came out in 1996 (instead of 1986). :eek:

In retrospect, I wish they would have edited out my response to the comedian about the "butt." That was a little inappropriate. I guess I don't have a future in politics now. :cry: 🤣

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Opposite viewpoint (from maha) here...enjoyed it very much. Dr. Dave showed his teaching skills well.

Thanks!

and demonstrated patience.

I definitely needed some of that during the recording. It was hard to get a word in edgewise at times. Those hosts have strong personalities.

Would have been cool if a clip of Melling's amazing runout could have been shown. ;)

Agreed.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
This is great, learned some new stuff also. Would love to see you on another episode, still much more to talk about.

I offered that to them. I hope they take me up on the offer. I had sent them a list of possible topics to discuss before the recording, and we just brushed the surface. For example, I was disappointed I wasn't able to talk about the 30 degree rule and the Dr. Dave peace sign. :cry: 🤓

When you were talking about how many shots ahead good player thinks about, and you mentioned 3 shots ahead in 9-ball, it would have been interesting to mention why it is 3 shots ahead. (because you want to have the correct angle on the next ball to get to the third ball) and how weaker players might think you just want to get straight on every ball, but really you want an angle to work with on most shots. That I think is one of the biggest downfalls for weaker league-level players who don't understand why they aren't getting much better.

Agreed. I wish I had a whole hour just to talk about strategy, but most of their audience would probably lose interest.

AF pool guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought for sure when they asked “what’s the weather in a pool hall” you’d give them 5 minutes on how temp and humidity affect the game.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
hope next time and there should be one. dave gets to control the episode more . i understand it is for a different audience but it wasnt a fun show it was an instuctional and scientific one and really needs to be treated as such. for dave's credibility sake.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Opposite viewpoint (from maha) here...enjoyed it very much. Dr. Dave showed his teaching skills well..and demonstrated patience.
Or the thermal camera videos showing the heat generated by friction!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hope next time and there should be one. dave gets to control the episode more . i understand it is for a different audience but it wasnt a fun show it was an instuctional and scientific one and really needs to be treated as such. for dave's credibility sake.
From a pool players point of view, yes. From the general public point of view, no.

Dr. Dave, I think you did a wonderful job. With the exception of the date The Color of Money come out as you mentioned. But I guess even dr. Dave has brain farts every now and then! LOL.

You fit in with them just fine. Joking around. Just being a regular guy. Again, job well done.

WGDave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well done.

Probably would have been more clarity if video clips preceded each topic to demonstrate the different aspects, then discussion.

How come you did not pimp AZB at the end? There’s always next time.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neil mentioned towards the end that astrophysicist have pool tables at some of the telescope sites to pass time while waiting on weather to clear. Here's a thought... go to one of these telescope sites. You can show them some pool, they can show you the universe. That would make a great video. I'm sure Neil could get you a pass.