Dramatic, entertaining holiday reading: Billiards Digest behind the scenes in-depth at 2006 IPT World Open

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just happened on this beautifully written gem. About a 15-minute read; 25 minutes if you're savoring every nugget, as I was.

Plenty of tasty player-to-player human interest morsels.

And never seen elsewhere, often raucous, even hilarious reaction quotes of various elite players as they were dealing the ultra-high pressure.

https://www.billiardsdigest.com/new_current_issue/nov_06/NOV06IPTReno.pdf

Of special note: this image included in the terrific article. A listing of 50 finishing players' prize money:

IPT 2006 World Open prize money for 50 finishers.JPG

Enjoy.

Arnaldo
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great read. Good find! Lots of history in this article about players. Love the "Boyes' Boys" snippet.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks for stumbling onto this, and sharing, arnaldo! great read from a historic event-
You're very welcome, EG. So many of the most pleasurable holiday gifts cost nothing to obtain and deliver.

Arnaldo
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Morris’ confidence was apparent all week in his fast, loose play. His break was unwavering, knocking in one, two, three, sometimes four balls. While other players were feeling the mental and physical strain of a format in which every ball, rack, and match carried weight, he was having fun out there, and the fans couldn’t get enough of his excited banter.
😁

Total number of balls sunk on the break by both players in the final.
😒

Last edited:

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Glad you Loved it, CP. I had a hunch you would.

Arnaldo
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just happened on this beautifully written gem. About a 15-minute read; 25 minutes if you're savoring every nugget, as I was.

And never seen elsewhere, often raucous, even hilarious reaction quotes of various elite players as they were dealing the ultra-high pressure.

Of special note: this image included in the terrific article. A listing of 50 finishing players' prize money:

View attachment 677521

Enjoy.

Arnaldo
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Well, have a look at Ol' #22.

Ghost of OBC

View attachment 677521

Enjoy.

Arnaldo
Thanks for sharing. The photo of Charlie Williams up on the table made my day. I grew up about the same time in the same rooms in Norfolk and Newport News as The Dragon. Brings back memories. Great article as well.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That was a great read. Kevin had a great idea for pool, bringing it up several notches in class. I hope it doesn't fall back to black T shirts with vulgar sayings. There many, many classy classy folks who play and enjoy the game.