Drills for 3C

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You can find lots of drills for pool but I never seem to hear any talk about drills for 3C. The only 'drill' I've ever come up with is with just the red ball and a cue ball on the table where I try to hit the red ball with the cue ball after 3 or more cushions.

Anyone have any other drills for 3C?

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not found any either.

But I am curious do you practice any straight rail, 1 cushion drills?

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such as? I'm not aware of any. I'd love to be enlightened.

1) Nursing the rail. With the balls close to each other on the rail. Keep them together for as long as possible.

2) One ball starting on the rail (frozen or 1 ball diameter off), and the other ball 1-2 diamonds into middle of the table offset somewhat forward of, then even with and then back of the rail ball. (multiple ways to work these shots -rail first into the two objects balls, middle table ball first into the rail then the rail ball, rail first into rail ball into the middle table table.

See how many points you can go before they become too split up.

3) One ball on long rail, other ball at the middle diamond of the short rail. Cue ball in between, Hit long rail ball first, get cue ball into the middle rail ball. Play cue ball from where it lands. Keep working this until your angles are no longer possible.

See how many points you can go before they become too split up.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
There is a few for straight rail i just learned about for the speed

Use 2 balls only

Hit one ball into the other trying to leave 1 inch in between them after each hit, try doing it several times up the table

The other is similar but on the rail
Hit one ball into the rail so that it comes back to hit your cue ball back with about the same distance between them about an inch or so

Both good speed control for straight rail

Always of course holding the cue at the balance point for maximum control of the power in the hit

I wasnt gonna take this thread in that direction, or even post in it, but you asked lol

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Such as? I'm not aware of any. I'd love to be enlightened.

I was just wondering if you were doing these already, and were specifically looking for 3 -C or did not know about them.

The drills for straight rail and 1 cushion will help a lot in 3 cushion. The reason is that you will learn how the contact between balls, and cue ball spin into a rail can have significant effect on cue ball path.

In 3-C all of this gets amplified by the distance traveled and the "reversing" effect of spin on opposing rails.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I asked him because I was curious if this was a case where the other games and their associated skills was known or not.

I was actually speaking to the op since he said he love to be enlightened and he knew of none

Which i find hard to believe
But if need be ill start a gather shot and training thread another day
Ive ruined enough threads for one day lol

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was just wondering if you were doing these already, and were specifically looking for 3 -C or did not know about them.

The drills for straight rail and 1 cushion will help a lot in 3 cushion. The reason is that you will learn how the contact between balls, and cue ball spin into a rail can have significant effect on cue ball path.

In 3-C all of this gets amplified by the distance traveled and the "reversing" effect of spin on opposing rails.

I appreciate your response.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used to practice these often ... check out the natural result systems on youtube

Part 1 -https://youtu.be/sVRFwaUYwb4

Part 2 - https://youtu.be/hdb3C_B59K0

Part 3 - https://youtu.be/xVDZ84JfovQ

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums
Those are decent. Too back they're not complete.

Here's something similar in the 1st 20 minutes. Practice accurate cuing to achieve these results.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZzXpq9EQOWRgHSj0Ka9xnQ?sub_confirmation=1

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found this video while looking at the channel videos presented by others in this thread. It intrigued me because I had run into a situation yesterday that was almost the same and did the round the table shot instead.

I spent about 30 minutes this afternoon attempting these shots.

https://youtu.be/5a0BIIsCpnE?t=385

I could not get the cue ball to hit the short rail a second time no matter what I tried. On a pool table I can make the cue ball have action like this, but just could not on the carom table.

I tried different fullness hits, and varied the english in all sorts of ways and varied the speed. Every time the cue ball lost all spin on the long rail hit would and came straight across the table (for a good score in 1 cushion).

Will have to try again.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... I spent about 30 minutes this afternoon attempting these shots.

https://youtu.be/5a0BIIsCpnE?t=385

I could not get the cue ball to hit the short rail a second time no matter what I tried. On a pool table I can make the cue ball have action like this, but just could not on the carom table. ...
There must be something very wrong with how you are trying to play that shot. It is quite easy to double the short rail.

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There must be something very wrong with how you are trying to play that shot. It is quite easy to double the short rail.

I thought it would be pretty easy to do as well. That is why I was surprised I was not getting it to happen at all. More work required on the carom table.

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought it would be pretty easy to do as well. That is why I was surprised I was not getting it to happen at all. More work required on the carom table.

"seriously wrong" is a little harsh :cool: - I mean was hitting at least both balls yesterday.:D

Today I figured out what was wrong. And there were two things wrong.

1) My deflection/serve on the carom table was not dialed in correctly at all. I was hitting the frozen ball further outside than intended so it was hitting the short rail to soon - not close enough to the corner to reverse off it enough.

2) I was not hitting it with the maximum amount of 10'clock English.

I really focused on these two things, because after I had posted yesterday, I went to my usual pool table ( an 8 footer with really nappy cloth) and was able to execute this shot repeatedly. Made me wonder why I was struggling so much yesterday.

Still having to work on it and the versions from various distances.