Drop pockets or ball return?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Returns are ok unless you play a lot of 1p. I don't like digging balls out of the ball box. The carwash sponge trick works perfect. Have the best of both worlds.

Reactions: bbb

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ball return.
Easy to manage noise.

Don't like drop pockets as I don't like moving balls to avoid a pocketed ball being rejected as it ruins rhythm.
And at the end of a game, going around retrieving all the balls, wastes time
Don't know what make table you have but I have a GCIII with drop pockets and the pockets are 4 1/4" diamond cut.
A great one pocket table and I play a lot of one pocket.
Pockets hold 8 balls easily.
I have never had a ball rejected because the pocket was too full.
Apparently all drop pockets are not created equal.

telinoz

Registered
Don't know what make table you have but I have a GCIII with drop pockets and the pockets are 4 1/4" diamond cut.
Yep, some tables are better than others.
Either way, I still don't like doing ball collection around the table.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen hard struck balls bounce out of GC pockets with 7 in them. I always move them to the side hole just to be safe.

philly

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen hard struck balls bounce out of GC pockets with 7 in them. I always move them to the side hole just to be safe.
A lot of people move some of their balls to the side pocket.
Never had to do that on my table.

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ball return.

I have drop pockets and they are great for looks and tradition but if you’re planning on playing games, ball return is the way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomatoshooter

Drop pockets. I don't like the clunk of the ball hitting the box on a return table and for practice drills you can keep a supply of balls in the pocket or pull them out of the pocket you are shooting at. For playing games I can see the benefit of a return but pulling balls out of pockets isn't a big hassle. I guess a ball return seems more luxury, which is king of cool.

bmeek

Registered
I was a diehard ball return guy until I picked up my drop pocket Anniversary. I don't have to hear my knees pop when I have to rack balls at home and I can easily break from either side of the table, which gets more mileage out of the cloth. Most pool players could use the extra steps around the table anyways.

phreaticus

I was a diehard ball return guy until I picked up my drop pocket Anniversary. I don't have to hear my knees pop when I have to rack balls at home and I can easily break from either side of the table, which gets more mileage out of the cloth. Most pool players could use the extra steps around the table anyways.
Now thats a whole other class of table and different story. An Anniversary/Cenntennial with returns should be considered criminal 😂 Well stated! ✌️

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing for us throw 'em out shoot 'em in guys, the patterns - especially 9 ball get repetitious and remedial. You can,
_ not_ miss for 2 hours (not me) and then get stumped by your first inning playing.

Nyquil

What is your preference for a home table? I'm not asking about preferences for pool halls, tourneys, etc., just home tables. Also, what is the reason for your preference? Drop pockets or ball return?
Ball return for me. It's especially nice for playing straight pool. It does have it draws backs however. Returns are just harder on the finish of balls it's just the way it is. You will need to clean them more often as well. Shooting drills if no more balls are left you are forced to the return gully to get more balls. I really like the sound of a shot dropping in and running down the track very satisfying. Also it's nice to just go one area to snag them all and set up the next rack. Nothing wrong with drop pocket tables but I dig my return system. Last caveat is if your going with a ball return you are looking at a GC or a diamond. Couple of other manufactures offer a return system at an up charge and these sorts of tables are notorious for stuck balls, loud returns, and just janky set up's. etc. Diamond has this figured out. They make a very good system.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Ball return. But stuff the pockets (carwash sponges) if you want drop pockets occasionally. Best of both worlds.

I'm waiting for a manufacture to make a flushable table where the balls drop and stay in each pocket, but there is a flush handle that the racker can trip to flush the balls out of the pockets and down a gully for easy racking.

The best of both worlds.

Jeff Livingston

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ball return for me. It's especially nice for playing straight pool. It does have it draws backs however. Returns are just harder on the finish of balls it's just the way it is. You will need to clean them more often as well. Shooting drills if no more balls are left you are forced to the return gully to get more balls. I really like the sound of a shot dropping in and running down the track very satisfying. Also it's nice to just go one area to snag them all and set up the next rack. Nothing wrong with drop pocket tables but I dig my return system. Last caveat is if your going with a ball return you are looking at a GC or a diamond. Couple of other manufactures offer a return system at an up charge and these sorts of tables are notorious for stuck balls, loud returns, and just janky set up's. etc. Diamond has this figured out. They make a very good system.
As good as Diamonds are the ball return loves to eat chalk. Let’s not talk about how stupid Diamond cannot build a table with nice quality ball holder. The design engineer bozo, oops I forgot about a ball holder, let’s just attach a stupid metal ball holder.

Reactions: bbb

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There's another advantage to drop Pockets nobody mentioned... You can periodically switch the break end. Every two weeks worked well for me. It helps eliminate getting track lines from the corner balls to the end cushion ( in 8-ball).
And the balls marks from sliding the rack into position will never appear. Also the break track lines will never become bad when breaking from the same spot all the time.
Your cloth will stay nicer a lot longer.