dropping straight down

magicrat69210

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well all of u instructors are always so helpful so i figured i would ask.....for me when i drop
straight down onto a shot meaning no forward or backward or sideways motion of the head i seem to see the "picture" better when im down on the shot.....do yall teach this??? just wondering i learned it myself over the years. when i do have extra motion i seem to alter what i was seeing when i was standing up....thanks in advance

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member
What helps people see the shot best is placing their head/eyes in the optimal position to see the lines clearly--a straight shot looks straight and a cut shot looks like the right degree of cut. For some, dropping down straight helps. Be thorough in observing your pre-shot routine, because if your feet/body change positions, when you drop straight down your head will be on a different line/spot!

SmoothStroke

Swim for the win.
Silver Member
I teach straight drop
Straight drop step into the line
Straight drop step back on the line
Straight drop eyes to cloth
Straight drop chest to cloth
Straight drop hip to cloth

Find the line, get your feet under you, come from the hip, deliver a straight stroke, it's a very simple approach.

Many players straight drop, some from the eyes and some from the hip. The key is to learn the approach and apply it to your natural and let it happen, it's a mixture. I don't like forced robotic, too much tension.

I think Mika is the most obvious you will see. He has a quick lift from low to high and back down, great foot work.
John Morra is another that delivers high to low and has very nice foot work. John's overall approach is like watching a ballerina.

I will also teach them what they want, sweeping, swooping, pivoting, under the legs, I don't care, I let them decide what they prefer. It's important to have a choice and helps to be well schooled in all techniques whatever our preferences, take what is good and keep the rest in the vault if needed.

I prefer straight drop and low cue ball play for myself and lean in that direction for instruction. 99.9% prefer straight drop and others who are advanced make the switch, and some are best left alone.
Sincerely: SS

ENGLISH!

Banned
Silver Member
I teach straight drop
Straight drop step into the line
Straight drop step back on the line
Straight drop eyes to cloth
Straight drop chest to cloth
Straight drop hip to cloth

Find the line, get your feet under you, come from the hip, deliver a straight stroke, it's a very simple approach.

Many players straight drop, some from the eyes and some from the hip. The key is to learn the approach and apply it to your natural and let it happen, it's a mixture. I don't like forced robotic, too much tension.

I think Mika is the most obvious you will see. He has a quick lift from low to high and back down, great foot work.
John Morra is another that delivers high to low and has very nice foot work. John's overall approach is like watching a ballerina.

I will also teach them what they want, sweeping, swooping, pivoting, under the legs, I don't care, I let them decide what they prefer. It's important to have a choice and helps to be well schooled in all techniques whatever our preferences, take what is good and keep the rest in the vault if needed.

I prefer straight drop and low cue ball play for myself and lean in that direction for instruction. 99.9% prefer straight drop and others who are advanced make the switch, and some are best left alone.
Sincerely: SS

Hi Michael,

Your Wisdom... is what makes you a valuable instructor much more then you knowledge.:wink:

ALL Best Wishes for You & Yours... & ALL.
Rick

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
well all of u instructors are always so helpful so i figured i would ask.....for me when i drop
straight down onto a shot meaning no forward or backward or sideways motion of the head i seem to see the "picture" better when im down on the shot.....do yall teach this??? just wondering i learned it myself over the years. when i do have extra motion i seem to alter what i was seeing when i was standing up....thanks in advance

Well, here's the problem with dropping down: Yes, you can do it but you have to have a procedure to follow, for example: Smooth Stroke has shared a procedure with you.

Your head is in the center of your body while your arm is not. So it gets a little tricky to drop down in alignment with the shot without taking a step.

If you were to just look at a shot and drop down without making any adjustments, you would wind up straddling the line of the shot with both legs and then having to lean off balance, all the way to one side to allow your cue to come through, which is not a good thing.

Tricky business, indeed.

Scott Lee

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
magicrat69210...A mirror is a very helpful resource to see how you're aligning to the shot. Set it up so you can see yourself head on, see where your head is aligned with the cuestick, and check that against your vision center. Remember, your vision center will not be directly under your dominant eye for everyone...and shouldn't be.

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com