Dynasphere Bronze balls......$100

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a hard time parsing this sentence.
A quality difference is not necessarily reflected in the price. Undoubtedly value is a price/quality factor and can’t be determined with just one variable.
I accepted the tungsten set as the best value. I accepted the bronze set as a good value and was willing to pay a little more for the pleasure of the colors. I see no difference in the quality of the 2 sets.
As to the “real players “. Huh? I am a real player and know lots of real players. That commonality has nothing to do with personal preference or ability to spend more just to look good.

You said you did not find it odd that a $100 set of balls was the same quality as a $300 one due to the design. I don't see how a pool ball set can be marketed at three times the price of another form the same maker if the quality is the same on both. It's way more than paying "a little more".

The quality in pool balls vs price does not really follow the same thing as cues which are often sold by the design as much as the construction quality.

It seems you are saying if set A was 100 and set B was 300 but you liked how B looked better you can justify the huge increase in price based on looks alone? I just don't see how such a huge price difference can be only due to the design of the set vs material and quality control steps.

The Tungsten set is under $60, Bronze is $100, the Silver is $170, the Platinum are $330, there is no way they are all the same quality or construction. You seem to be saying that if they are all the same quality the $330 set is justified that on looks? If the other poster(s) are correct and they are indeed all made the same, you can get the same quality as the $330 top end set for $60. That is pretty much unheard of. With any other pool ball maker there is a clear difference even between their $100 and $150-200 sets and another clear step from 150 to the 250-300 sets.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
by having a so called loss leader the company will get established as a major player in the business. then later they can drop that line or make changes.
if they just start off with high priced balls they may never get enough players interested. and if they just have low priced ones they look like any other cheap company.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
regular aramith crown set is still a 100 or less a set depending where you buy, whats wrong with them again?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I grew up in the rust belt, I try to buy American ,support small local business etc.. Mom worked for GM 40 years and I try to support her pension. Bought her a Buick Encore then realized it was built in Korea. Most everyday items cannot be purchased made in the US. I did find a washer/dryer made in US, commercial duty, analog controls, 3-year warrantee "Speed Queen" from Wisconsin. It was the only U.S. washer in the store.

Funny you mention this, my wife's uncle goes for US made products, he did the same thing with an Buick SUV for his wife. Bought it, then looked at the sticker a while later and found out it was made in China LOL

I tried to go for US made stuff a few years ago to support a local shop while on vacation, found out fast that $50 t-shirts and $120-200 shirts were not for me.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know a good guy but he can be a bit of a knucklehead. He would almost certainly go for the highest price set even knowing the facts, some of us ain't thataway. Old saying from cars, if it doesn't go fast chrome it! Those silly looking balls to me are chrome. They may not play any better but they are shiny. I paid an extra forty dollars for color but that is so I don't go to a pool hall when they open back up and get confused planning a run.

Hu

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I bought a set from the linked buyer (who, btw, I've bought from before with success). The balls I got were not wrapped, just had a single sticker holding the lid onto the box. When I opened the box, the balls were all quite dusty. Is this typical of brand new balls? I haven't bought new balls very often, but the last set I got was shrink-wrapped, and the balls were squeaky clean out of the box. These balls all look ok otherwise, but it does make me wonder about the lineage of the set I received.
Yes, they should be shrink wrapped at the factory, to guarantee that they have never been opened or played with before. That is certainly the case with a higher quality Aramith sets. I can’t remember if the boxed case of 6 sets of Centennial balls were shrink wrapped or not, but regardless, you can easily tell when you first open the box that they have never been hit before.

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My hunch is the quality of the set offerings of balls from the same manufacturer is indeed largely the surface looks of the ball, and I doubt that’s any different from most other ball manufacturers.

Aramith makes and offers 10-15 sets at various price points. Do you really think they are all completely different make-ups inside the balls before they start the surface finishing process? The only likely difference is the highest priced premium sets have more exacting matched tolerances as far as roundness, diameter size and weight/grams, and then are given the higher gloss brighter color finishing process which I’m sure entails more steps.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, they should be shrink wrapped at the factory, to guarantee that they have never been opened or played with before. That is certainly the case with a higher quality Aramith sets. I can’t remember if the boxed case of 6 sets of Centennial balls were shrink wrapped or not, but regardless, you can easily tell when you first open the box that they have never been hit before.
Thanks. The balls definitely do not look like they've been hit. They just weren't wrapped, and were very dusty, all around the balls, too (not just the top). At first I wondered if I got a "display" set but given they're dusty all around I'm wondering if there's some manufacturing residue--which also isn't confidence-inspiring, to say the least.

I contacted the seller who said he just passed them along exactly like he got them from Dynasphere. Given they're only $100 for a nice set, I'll probably just clean them off and keep them barring any other issues revealing themselves. But, buyers beware. I'm wondering if others who have gotten Dynaspheres have run into similar issues.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
On the left is bronze, middle is tungsten and with Cyclop on the right.
The white plug requires more than the simple circle around the number in the Tungsten.
My Dyna sets arrived with a paper seal the size of a ball that says “BELGIAN QC
Manufacturered in China.

Attachments

• FE9062FF-6D0A-4E47-8D9D-F277A98F91BC.jpeg
    FE9062FF-6D0A-4E47-8D9D-F277A98F91BC.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 167

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My hunch is the quality of the set offerings of balls from the same manufacturer is indeed largely the surface looks of the ball, and I doubt that’s any different from most other ball manufacturers.

Aramith makes and offers 10-15 sets at various price points. Do you really think they are all completely different make-ups inside the balls before they start the surface finishing process? The only likely difference is the highest priced premium sets have more exacting matched tolerances as far as roundness, diameter size and weight/grams, and then are given the higher gloss brighter color finishing process which I’m sure entails more steps.

There is a clear difference between the Aramith ranges. Don't know about their novelty balls but I played with all the standard sets at one time or another, and you can tell how they hit and react and travel between the sets. The cheap ones work but play very light just don't feel like quality balls, midrange is a lot better but a step behind the Pro and Tournament sets. The ones with different designs made for home use I don't know about.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
You said you did not find it odd that a $100 set of balls was the same quality as a $300 one due to the design. I don't see how a pool ball set can be marketed at three times the price of another form the same maker if the quality is the same on both. It's way more than paying "a little more".
Ok

DryFlyTrout

The quality in pool balls vs price does not really follow the same thing as cues which are often sold by the design as much as the construction quality.

It seems you are saying if set A was 100 and set B was 300 but you liked how B looked better you can justify the huge increase in price based on looks alone? I just don't see how such a huge price difference can be only due to the design of the set vs material and quality control steps.

The Tungsten set is under $60, Bronze is $100, the Silver is $170, the Platinum are $330, there is no way they are all the same quality or construction. You seem to be saying that if they are all the same quality the $330 set is justified that on looks? If the other poster(s) are correct and they are indeed all made the same, you can get the same quality as the $330 top end set for $60. That is pretty much unheard of. With any other pool ball maker there is a clear difference even between their $100 and $150-200 sets and another clear step from 150 to the 250-300 sets.
According to the specs Dynasphere lists, the quality is equal on all products lines. The difference in price is attributed to the higher cost lines requiring more time to produce. They look better (subjectively). The tolerances and quality control procedures are otherwise identical.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks. The balls definitely do not look like they've been hit. They just weren't wrapped, and were very dusty, all around the balls, too (not just the top). At first I wondered if I got a "display" set but given they're dusty all around I'm wondering if there's some manufacturing residue--which also isn't confidence-inspiring, to say the least.

I contacted the seller who said he just passed them along exactly like he got them from Dynasphere. Given they're only $100 for a nice set, I'll probably just clean them off and keep them barring any other issues revealing themselves. But, buyers beware. I'm wondering if others who have gotten Dynaspheres have run into similar issues.

Neither Bronze or Tungsten were shrink wrapped, I suspect none are. They do have a factory seal that has to be broken to open the box. Four sets, so far so good unless a set I passed on turns out to have an issue,

Time of year I will have to deal with a heavy pollen problem on the back porch for months. I was comparing the tungsten and bronze sets and was feeling a little whiny about the bronze ones being dirty when I realized I was confusing them with the balls I have been playing with for six months or so without a real cleaning!

Hu

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Aramith uses different resin formulas in their various pool balls. The Duramith is the hardest, top-of-the-line. Super Aram.Pro used to be the top ball until Duramith came out. Same for the Premium and Premier, different formulas.

Last edited:

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Neither Bronze or Tungsten were shrink wrapped, I suspect none are. They do have a factory seal that has to be broken to open the box. Four sets, so far so good unless a set I passed on turns out to have an issue,

Time of year I will have to deal with a heavy pollen problem on the back porch for months. I was comparing the tungsten and bronze sets and was feeling a little whiny about the bronze ones being dirty when I realized I was confusing them with the balls I have been playing with for six months or so without a real cleaning!

Hu
Yeah mine were "brand new" but were so dusty they looked like they just spent a few years in grandma's attic.

That said, I did wipe them off and they played fantastic--better than me, for sure. The colors are bold and the balls are so shiny I kept thinking I saw spots on them, but then realized I was just seeing the reflection of all the other balls on the table. So mystery dust or not, I'm very satisfied with my $100 purchase. Not sure I'd ever spend $300+ on a set of balls again.

Mick

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For those wondering why Dynasphere would use the same quality resin in all their balls:

Yeah mine were "brand new" but were so dusty they looked like they just spent a few years in grandma's attic.

That said, I did wipe them off and they played fantastic--better than me, for sure. The colors are bold and the balls are so shiny I kept thinking I saw spots on them, but then realized I was just seeing the reflection of all the other balls on the table. So mystery dust or not, I'm very satisfied with my $100 purchase. Not sure I'd ever spend $300+ on a set of balls again.
The way they're doing it seems to be producing a lot of raving fanboys, like Rocket and myself. I'm the same way with Nokian winter tires. If you build a product that has exceptional value, I'm not shy about letting the world know about it.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Hu

Seems you have sets to compare, are both the same? Do the feel like the Aramith higher end sets, like the Premium or higher?

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
Seems you have sets to compare, are both the same? Do the feel like the Aramith higher end sets, like the Premium or higher?

Haven't played with the bronze set yet. I hope to later today and I'll let you know. Been ages since I have played with a top set of balls so I can't rely on memory to be absolutely certain but from the first hit I feel like the tungsten balls play much closer to the high dollar balls than the balls usually found in a pool hall. I really feel like they play every bit as well as the top of the line balls but I would like to do a side by side comparison to be sure.

No question that the tungsten set plays much better than the two sets of cheap balls I have around here. One nearly new I had planned to cut up and one set came with an old table I bought.

Hu

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member

Too late for me to check but I wonder if the dust matches the color of the tray?

Hu