Earl as a commentator

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I prefer the visual. Once I see it I can visualize it when I need to. Thats how my brain works and how I learned most things. Telling me something doesn't work as well for me.

At a pool tournament would you be for or against a friend in the stands using a sign showing where to hit the cue during a specific shot.

I am think local amateur tournament with teams.

If I had a coach telling me which shot for position it would cut down on my errors a huge amount.

In other sports fans cheer, should billiards be that type of sport?

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Earl will have time to get better at it as well is seems, just read this on the Filler/Gorst match...

Billiard Network
5 days ago
thanks for watching!....check out the rest of our videos and tune in as more great videos are coming every week!
Earl doing commentary will be a weekly feature on our channel. He is now part of our team along with Imran Majid, Mark Gray and Alex Lely.

I Got Lucky

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At a pool tournament would you be for or against a friend in the stands using a sign showing where to hit the cue during a specific shot.

I am think local amateur tournament with teams.

If I had a coach telling me which shot for position it would cut down on my errors a huge amount.

In other sports fans cheer, should billiards be that type of sport?

I am just saying for me I have always had issues learning if someone was telling me what to do. The second they SHOW me I understand. I learn more by watching players shoot because I visually see where they hit they cue ball and then see where the cue ball went. The matches I watch on stream or youtube are matches where the camera shows where the shooter hits the cue ball. Even Earl was saying the overhead shot doesnt show him the right angle to decide how to commentate.

Overall I enjoy listening to Earl.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks and welcome back

Pardon my interruption to the thread, but do you plan to do your thing with the stats on the few matches you've been away for?

No; my most recent stats thread was for the Bergman/Gomez 8-Ball match in July. I don't know when the next one will be.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
earl is good, but i think a partner would help immensely.
maybe a woman or somebody younger?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
earl is good, but i think a partner would help immensely.
maybe a woman or somebody younger?

jayson shaw would be ideal

Shaw and Strickland had a moment at 14.1 event where Strickland called ten instead of two and Shaw stormed out. Shaw forfeit match and ref sided with Strickland. Shaw made the call way too technical, but he was right.

Hearing those two argue the merits of a specific shot would be comical.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl said they were tapping the balls for the break rather than using a wooden rack or a magic rack. I don’t fully understand how that works. Wouldn’t balls roll off If shot Over that area later in a game after the break

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Earl said they were tapping the balls for the break rather than using a wooden rack or a magic rack. I don’t fully understand how that works. Wouldn’t balls roll off If shot Over that area later in a game after the break
You tap small craters into the table where you want the balls to be. This is an old, standard technique of people who play trick shots, such as Willie Mosconi. There is a special template, similar to a magic rack, to do it with that has holes slightly closer than a ball spacing. I think that part of the process is wetting the cloth at each spot.

If you don't have a proper tapping template, this video shows how to do it with a normal (but very good) triangle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eugZho04P44

The amount the craters affect play is small. It is far less than the typical sticker-spot that is commonly used on pool tables, especially if that spot is worn through to the cloth where the 1 ball sits.

Last edited:

Walt69

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've really been enjoying his commentary. I agree with the "instructional video" comments but I don't think that's a bad thing and i particularly like it. Here's the main thing though, when someone like Earl says things like "nice shot, good job, that was a great play, i couldn't have made that shot" i feel it holds more weight and meaning than when other commentators say such things. It's like genuine acknowledgement from someone who has been a direct competitor. I genuinely feel Earl wants to, and is trying to push to make pool mainstream and popular again. It's a nice side of Earl to see and i will continue to watch him if he decides to keep doing this.