Earl Crushes Morra in 9-Ball

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well to be fair Morra didn't really play to his best capability. He missed some shots and banks that seemed a little uncharacteristic for him. I mean Earl played great too but there were some shots they both missed that they normally wouldn't. Any given day I think the scores could be reversed. That being said though I personally would of had Earl as a slight favorite. Very slight...

Morra lost 21-10 . That is loss by big margin. It was not even close like 21-18
Stop making excuses for Morra
On other hand if Earl had lost he does not need others to make excuses for him, he would be making excuses for himself LOL

00john

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well to be fair Morra didn't really play to his best capability. He missed some shots and banks that seemed a little uncharacteristic for him. I mean Earl played great too but there were some shots they both missed that they normally wouldn't. Any given day I think the scores could be reversed. That being said though I personally would of had Earl as a slight favorite. Very slight...
uncharacteristic misses are caused by succumbing to pressure in my experience.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Morra & Earl

Morra lost 21-10 . That is loss by big margin. It was not even close like 21-18
Stop making excuses for Morra
On other hand if Earl had lost he does not need others to make excuses for him, he would be making excuses for himself LOL

Well, Morra certainly showed us something in the third match.

As soon as John got ahead 18-16, Earl reverted to type and began complaining.

I have a question for the Earl groupies...does he ever lose a match nowadays without blaming it on the tables, the lights, the commentators, his opponent, the racks, the fans, his teammates or his luck?

Earl Strickland...one of the greatest players ever...and one of the worst losers.

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I have a question for the Earl groupies...does he ever lose a match nowadays without blaming it on the tables, the lights, the commentators, his opponent, the racks, the fans, his teammates or his luck?
Earl Strickland...one of the greatest players ever...and one of the worst losers.

no.....but he is one of the best and has been for many years, we are all not perfect by any means..so, because of his greatness, I give him some slack while sometimes he can be embarrassing. it is what it is.....:cool:

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I'm not an Earl groupie but I enjoy watching him play and would agree he hates to lose. The difference between Earl and a lot of other top pros is Earl makes it more visible and audible. I've seen guys like Immonen and Appleton slam their cue against the table. Mosconi was an unhappy camper when he was losing. I enjoy watching those guys play. There are many examples.

My theory on what drives some of these guys to become so great is they hate to lose and therefore put in more time at the table to avoid losing. Earl doesn't keep it inside as good as some of the other guys, it is all out there for the world to see.

Earl had no shot after pocketing a ball on the break at least 85% of the time. If he had a few more opportunities he would have won. Anybody have break and shot stats? The break is everything in this game I think we all know that right? If the game didn't depend on the break so much these second tier guys would never make a dollar.

kkdanamatt

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
no.....but he is one of the best and has been for many years, we are all not perfect by any means..so, because of his greatness, I give him some slack while sometimes he can be embarrassing. it is what it is.....:cool:

There is no question about Earl's abilities and his accomplishments. He ranks as one of the greatest pool players of all time. However, his poor behavior and lack of self control is what sets him apart from most other champions.

Earl demands total respect. When something happens that he perceives as anything less than receiving total respect, he "goes off" and loses control.

Example: Turning Stone 2011; Earl was matched up against Ralf Souquet, the polar opposite to Earl in his demeanor. You couldn't find two more opposite personalities in the BCA Hall of Fame. Earl was introduced by Mike Zuglan, who mentioned Earl's many titles, HOF membership, awards, etc. Then Zuglan introduced Souquet, and among other things, referenced his gentlemanly behavior, for which Ralf is well-known.

Immediately, Earl started chirping to the crowd, "Oh, I guess I'm not a gentlemen. He's a gentleman, I'm just a clown. Everyone's rooting against me. He's the gentlemen...I'm not, etc." We've all heard this before. The match was over before it began. Earl chirped to the crowd throughout the match, Souquet won and then Earl stormed out of the room without shaking Ralf's hand.

And it all started just because Mike Zuglan called Ralf a gentleman.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member

No, Earl is the only person who can 21:0 and act like he lost. That's the unfortunate taint on Earl's play since....well since Earl has been playing I guess by all accounts.

Earl is haunted inside. It's sad because I can sympathize. Sometimes you get pissed off and shit bothers you that really shouldn't. Each of us humans operates on a spectrum of response that is dictated by two things; how we are wired and how we have been trained.

If we are wired to be volatile then we can sometimes be traind out of being that way. Sometimes nurture can trump nature.

But if we are wired to be volatile and it's accepted then our neurons and synapses learn to fire even faster to the volatile reaction to stimulus. In other words the brain is a muscle and gets stronger with whatever it's allowed to do.

So if Earl had been soundly chastised when he was younger then he probably could have modulated his behavior and trained himself to suppress the "natural" reactions. But as often happens with great skill (or talent) comes deference and acceptance of one's quirks.

Anyway the spectrum ranges from mild and calm reactions to situations all the way to instant panic and frustration. Earl might very well be borderline autistic for all we know with a manifestation of tourettes syndrome that displays as outward frustration over perceived persecution. Jeeze I might have that :)

Anyway I think we can all agree that a normal person doesn't act like this or want to act like this. So for that reason I have more sympathy and pity for Earl than condemnation. But even as a fan it's very hard to take when he is in one of his moods.

I am sure that he himself would be much happier if he had inner peace.

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, Earl is the only person who can 21:0 and act like he lost. That's the unfortunate taint on Earl's play since....well since Earl has been playing I guess by all accounts.

Earl is haunted inside. It's sad because I can sympathize. Sometimes you get pissed off and shit bothers you that really shouldn't. Each of us humans operates on a spectrum of response that is dictated by two things; how we are wired and how we have been trained.

If we are wired to be volatile then we can sometimes be traind out of being that way. Sometimes nurture can trump nature.

But if we are wired to be volatile and it's accepted then our neurons and synapses learn to fire even faster to the volatile reaction to stimulus. In other words the brain is a muscle and gets stronger with whatever it's allowed to do.

So if Earl had been soundly chastised when he was younger then he probably could have modulated his behavior and trained himself to suppress the "natural" reactions. But as often happens with great skill (or talent) comes deference and acceptance of one's quirks.

Anyway the spectrum ranges from mild and calm reactions to situations all the way to instant panic and frustration. Earl might very well be borderline autistic for all we know with a manifestation of tourettes syndrome that displays as outward frustration over perceived persecution. Jeeze I might have that :)

Anyway I think we can all agree that a normal person doesn't act like this or want to act like this. So for that reason I have more sympathy and pity for Earl than condemnation. But even as a fan it's very hard to take when he is in one of his moods.

I am sure that he himself would be much happier if he had inner peace.

Very good post and this is basically the way I feel about Earl. I really do enjoy his game immensely, but I deplore his gamesmanship. It's so sad, really, and I do pity him, but he should not be allowed to match up with someone without ample warning of the consequences of his misbehavior, up to and including forfeiture of the match if he refuses to comply.

Solomon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl might very well be borderline autistic...

That's like saying, "Stephen Hawking might very well be borderline mobility challenged..."

Earl could be the poster child for classic savant syndrome.

I love watching earl play because when he's playing well it is like watching an artist compose a masterpiece. However, I hate seeing him self-destruct the way he did during last year's Mosconi Cup.

I wish Earl nothing but the best and I hope that he receives the professional assistance that will allow him to tame his inner demons.

JB Cases

www.jbcases.com
Silver Member
That's like saying, "Stephen Hawking might very well be borderline mobility challenged..."

Earl could be the poster child for classic savant syndrome.

I love watching earl play because when he's playing well it is like watching an artist compose a masterpiece. However, I hate seeing him self-destruct the way he did during last year's Mosconi Cup.

I wish Earl nothing but the best and I hope that he receives the professional assistance that will allow him to tame his inner demons.

Not quite. There is no way I could diagnose Earl. I honestly don't know if he could be classified with any sort of autism or aspergers. If so probably on the mild side of it.

It could simply be that Earl is just a guy who was always spoiled in the pool room and never was forced to change. The old spare the rod spoil the child type of deal. When bad behavior is tolerated then it doesn't usually get better on it's own.

As badly as I feel for Earl I do think he has it in him to moderate it with focus. If he could really work as hard on channeling his emotion 100% into absolute focus on the game and block everything out he could be the greatest nine ball player until he is too infirm to hold a cue IMO. I could be wrong and the wiring might be too screwed up to overcome without meds....and meds probably takes the intensity down that Earl needs to play. I don't know, just the package we got I guess.

Earl definitely displays savant-like brilliance at the table sometimes. He comes with shots that a lot of other pros pass on IMO seemingly without thinking and almost disdainfully as if they are hangers.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I wish people wouldn't do that as well.

It's really annoying to see people using quotes to ascribe words to people who didn't say those words.

"Everyone in this forum from Lithuania will get a free case." - Barton

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Everyone in this forum from Lithuania will get a free case." - Barton

"Justin Timberlake is the greatest entertainer of this generation." - BeiberLvr

tumblr_m3q23nEcNv1qmbe27o1_500.gif