Earl @ Turning Stone

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course he can, he ran 238 balls last week in the 14.1 challenge- there aren't more than a handful in the U.S. today who can run over 200 balls now. If your physical health and eyesight are in good shape the only thing that age actually takes from you is stamina and focus time.
In a relatively brief tournament, in terms of actual number of matches played, he will remain very competitive for now. It is the grind that takes a toll as you age, but if you pace yourself, one can still perform great over short periods.

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl's match with Mika was visible on the live stream, but was back a table or two. Hard to follow, but still visible. When he was on the hill, he broke and ran most of the rack, but then missed a cut shot to the side pocket, I think it was on the 7 ball, but hard to see in the background like it was. He was clearly surprised by that miss, and he seemed to be doing his usual quick-pace pocketing, but then missed. Mika ran that rack out, and I don't remember if Earl even shot in that last game. The camera from the live stream did occasionally catch him in that last game, sitting with his arms folded, occasionally shaking his head. Too bad, I was really hoping to see him move forward.

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've always enjoyed watching Earl play whether in person or televised. He is one of the few players who rose to prominence in the 80's, and is still playing today. Earl is considered one of the best 9 ball players of all time. He has won over 100 championship titles and has a high run of 408 in straight. Like him or not you can't dispute the talent.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I've always enjoyed watching Earl play whether in person or televised. He is one of the few players who rose to prominence in the 80's, and is still playing today. Earl is considered one of the best 9 ball players of all time. He has won over 100 championship titles and has a high run of 408 in straight. Like him or not you can't dispute the talent.
Was it 408, or 480 because neither can be verified, but what can be verified is 238, less than half of his claimed high of 480. And that's without any pressure of another player shooting back, just freewheeling through to racks, so I don't buy the 60 year old excuse that Earl don't shoot as well anymore, his main loss in the Turning Stone event was to the tournament winner, Jason Shaw, and it was by only a single game!!

tonyboy59

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was it 408, or 480 because neither can be verified, but what can be verified is 238, less than half of his claimed high of 480. And that's without any pressure of another player shooting back, just freewheeling through to racks, so I don't buy the 60 year old excuse that Earl don't shoot as well anymore, his main loss in the Turning Stone event was to the tournament winner, Jason Shaw, and it was by only a single game!!
the info was obtained from Wiki so can't verify 408 vs 480 but to your point he still shoots good. I saw that match with Jason and I was pulling for Earl (not taking anything away from Jason).

realkingcobra

Silver Member
the info was obtained from Wiki so can't verify 408 vs 480 but to your point he still shoots good. I saw that match with Jason and I was pulling for Earl (not taking anything away from Jason).
I agree, and had Earl won, that would have been number 7 for Earl, but Shaw picked up the 7 first. My point was, in the 7 days he attempted to set a high run record, he only ran a 238 and crossed the 200 point mark once, in one day. His other 200+ run was spread out over 2 days. I just would have expected more from someone with 2 runs over over 400+ one being 480, if in fact those numbers were accurate in the first place.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
I agree, and had Earl won, that would have been number 7 for Earl, but Shaw picked up the 7 first. My point was, in the 7 days he attempted to set a high run record, he only ran a 238 and crossed the 200 point mark once, in one day. His other 200+ run was spread out over 2 days. I just would have expected more from someone with 2 runs over over 400+ one being 480, if in fact those numbers were accurate in the first place.
youve officially gone full harriman, without the actual pool skills

realkingcobra

Silver Member
youve officially gone full harriman, without the actual pool skills
Ahh well, you know what they say, just because you can talk the talk, that don't mean you can walk the walk. Same goes for the Pro's that have claimed they've ran 20+ racks in 9b, if that were the case, I'd expect them to at least put a 2 or 3 pack together in tournaments like Turning Stone, but, oh well, I guess we'll all just have to keep believing blindly they can do it, after all, who needs proof anyway. Just like I'm sure there's players out there that can shoot balls for a month without missing a ball one time. I use to practice like that all the time, I could go for 3 months without missing a ball, I just quit playing for 3 months😅🤣🤣

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Ahh well, you know what they say, just because you can talk the talk, that don't mean you can walk the walk. Same goes for the Pro's that have claimed they've ran 20+ racks in 9b, if that were the case, I'd expect them to at least put a 2 or 3 pack together in tournaments like Turning Stone, but, oh well, I guess we'll all just have to keep believing blindly they can do it, after all, who needs proof anyway. Just like I'm sure there's players out there that can shoot balls for a month without missing a ball one time. I use to practice like that all the time, I could go for 3 months without missing a ball, I just quit playing for 3 months😅🤣🤣

WHUT? Cant read put you on block long ago, to much bullshit on the forums as is

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was watching the match vs. Immonen and Earl pulled out a monster stroke for shape around rack 12. Looked like extreme inside off the short tail to get all the way to the other short rail. Anyway...he was playing well, maybe better than anyone over 60 at the moment.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I was watching the match vs. Immonen and Earl pulled out a monster stroke for shape around rack 12. Looked like extreme inside off the short tail to get all the way to the other short rail. Anyway...he was playing well, maybe better than anyone over 60 at the moment.
I'd make Earl the best 60 year old and older player on the planet today, period, playing 9B.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don`t know how you can possibly think that a 60 year old player is as good as he was when he was 30. It is absolutely ridiculous! I can`t even believe anybody would say that.
You're aware that 60 year old man just missed winning his 7th Turning Stone event right? 2019 he took second in the same event to SVB winning it, and trust me when I say Shane got very lucky to have won it, because they were almost tied up when Shane got a lucky roll on the cue ball that pocketed the 9 for the win. It took two world class players to keep Earl from winning the Turning Stone event again.

Chili Palmer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You're aware that 60 year old man just missed winning his 7th Turning Stone event right? 2019 he took second in the same event to SVB winning it, and trust me when I say Shane got very lucky to have won it, because they were almost tied up when Shane got a lucky roll on the cue ball that pocketed the 9 for the win. It took two world class players to keep Earl from winning the Turning Stone event again.

So, do you think Earl is a good player or not?

I'm seriously confused what your thoughts are after reading your posts? In one post, you slam him saying his 408/480 is probably a lie (indicating he's nowhere near that good) and in another you say SVB is lucky to have beaten him.

Make up your freaking mind.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don`t know how you can possibly think that a 60 year old player is as good as he was when he was 30. It is absolutely ridiculous! I can`t even believe anybody would say that.
Mike Segal's high run is 339, Nick Varner's high run is 336, and Allen Hopkins high run is 410, and anyone in my opinion that can run 408 and 480 high runs, should have NO problem playing the patterns 14.1 point one with and even flow and rhythm like they're on auto pilot, NOT moving balls all over the place that are playable, and running the cue ball all over the place just to get position on the wrong ball, and pocketing the best break balls because he just don't see them. Struggling to make balls in 14.1 is NOT how you play the game, sorry to inform you. Watch Ruslan and his two high runs of 266, you WON'T see him shooting the cue ball all over the place, and you won't see him shooting in his best break balls just to finish running out the rack. Then compare his table patterns to Earl's, you'll learn something if you do.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Ymar
So, do you think Earl is a good player or not?

I'm seriously confused what your thoughts are after reading your posts? In one post, you slam him saying his 408/480 is probably a lie (indicating he's nowhere near that good) and in another you say SVB is lucky to have beaten him.

Make up your freaking mind.
Are you stupid or what? 9B is in a completely different world than 14.1 buddy. I've NEVER said Earl wasn't one of the GREATEST 9B players in the world. What I said was there's no way in hell he ran in the 400's when he struggled so badly just to run over 200 ONCE in a week!!!