Ebay ivory bans

CLOTHDUDE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good Afternoon Fellow AZ'ERS

I want to share some info that I just obtained from a Supervisor Friend of mine at EBAY........

We ALL have speculated on what will happen with Ivory that adorns our most prized cue possessions.......Some of us believe that plans are in motion to ban sale of items containing ivory and some of us refuse to believe......Whatever your position may be please PAY ATTENTION........

EBAY is removing listings with items containing ivory........NO questions asked.......If your item was not made prior to 1900 don't bother to waste your time in listing......They are not listening to preban ivory reasons, non conflict ivory, etc.......

This Information, as it may appears to be troubling, will only help increase Forum Popularity of AZ Nature and other Billiard Forums........

I hope you take note of the above mentioned and I hope for continued Billiard Market Success for ALL of US.........

Regards,
CLOTHDUDE

Walkermine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe that information is a little dated. I think their policy for the last 5-6 years has been to not allow sales of items where ivory is mentioned in the seller's item description.

CLOTHDUDE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Their policy might be dated and many members have commented on this topic over the year, but I spoke to my Supervisor Friend at EBAY this afternoon regarding my post......

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are pool cues galore on ebay right now mentioning ivory....here's just a couple of examples:

Nice Ginacue model 17 with an iv joint. Ear wrap, softest I've ever seen. At first look pops like double blue veneers, when in fact it is natural, blue then natural veneers. This cue is stunning in person for such a simple cue. Great player in my opinion. Two shafts iv ferrules, like new except for that little chip in the finish of the sleeve. thanks, jude

comes with the Whitten case

There was also a Hercek cue..........

I am selling my Joel Hercek custom cue. This custom cue is from my collection and is in mint condition. This cue was sent to Joel to have two new shafts to be made and his name engraved in the butt. This cue comes with 4- 13 mm shafts with ivory ferrules, joint, and inlays. This Hercek has a 5/16 - 14 joint. This beautiful classic design is toped off with a smooth black leather wrap. The length is a standard 58 inches and the weight is 20 oz.

I can find lots of cues mentioning ivory & the above two are just simple examples.......ebay used to require that more than 5% of the item contain ivory but that policy may have changed but banning ivory, well, not from what I can confirm by searching pool cue auctions on ebay.

Matt B.

CLOTHDUDE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
EBAY is making / enforcing an effort to remove listings that contain Ivory......Listings will be removed, no questions asked.....as mentioned prior, this info comes from a Supervisor Friend of mine at EBAY

MDSPHOTO

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This sounds like a position where they are not making a significant amount of revenue from items with ivory so they are now drawing a line in the sand. When they actually ban tobacco sales on there rather than turning a blind eye to it I'll believe they are actually a company with real ethics.

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
You can sell ivory cues on Ebay. You just can not mention Ivory.

They have a search engine looking for the word ivory.

If you say 36 genuine white inlays the cue will not be pulled.

These are legal issues moving forward and ebay don't want to get involved with Federal Law Suits. It is that simple.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The Hercek cue listing is still on ebay....it expires in < 24 hrs........but it is till there along with a lot of other cue listings that have ivory.

oel Hercek Custom Cue
Popular 1 watched in last 24 hours
| Add to watch list
Seller information
josephcustomcues (281 )
100% Positive feedback
Follow this seller
See other items

Item condition:Used
Time left: Time left: 22h 5m 18s Tuesday, 10:26AM
Price:US $4,950.00 Buy It Now
Add to cart
Best Offer: Make Offer
5 watching Add to watch list
Add to collection

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suppose using code words is the new trend so that the environmentalists don't beat you to death over pre-ban ivory not being legal.

Last edited:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, definitely been against ebay rules to sell items containing ivory for a while. Surprisingly though they don't seem to have an automated way of dealing with that and they must do it manually to some degree because they do seem to slip through sometimes. I've known people who've had items cancelled on them for mentioning ivory though, so this policy is nothing new. Maybe they'll police it a little more diligently in the future, maybe not.

Safest bet is to not mention ivory specifically if you want to sell a cue there that has ivory in it.

CLOTHDUDE

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You CANNOT sell ivory on EBAY unless item was made prior to 1900 and contains less than 5% Ivory..........I had 3 listings removed and did not mention Ivory........I have a GOOD Friend who is a Supervisor at Ebay.......I am trying to HELP fellow AZ members with FACTS and All I am getting is opposition from members that don't know what they are speaking of.......Please do not comment if your statements are not factual........Thanks

I believe that information is a little dated. I think their policy for the last 5-6 years has been to not allow sales of items where ivory is mentioned in the seller's item description.

Yeah, it has been in effect for at least 7 years. I listed a Scruggs that I had back in 2008 that contained a lot of ivory in it, and my listing was removed because I noted the word "Ivory" in my listing. I relisted the cue and left out any important info about what materials were in the cue, and it was successfully sold. What ebay does not know about what is in your cue will help your cue remain on ebay and not get removed, and any serious bidder will probably know what is in the cue if they know the cue maker.

You CANNOT sell ivory on EBAY unless item was made prior to 1900 and contains less than 5% Ivory..........I had 3 listings removed and did not mention Ivory........I have a GOOD Friend who is a Supervisor at Ebay.......I am trying to HELP fellow AZ members with FACTS and All I am getting is opposition from members that don't know what they are speaking of.......Please do not comment if your statements are not factual........Thanks

So, is ebay going to start removing any cues that contain white inlays (that look like Ivory) just because because they appear to be Ivory? I do not think that will ever happen, and very surprised if it happened to you. Ebay can't prove that any cue has Ivory in it, and only if the seller notes that the cue has Ivory, then the item may be removed from ebay. Ebay only cares about money, and themselves. They are only trying to protect themselves, so just so the cues listing does not contain info leading ebay to believe that your cue has Ivory in it, then your listing should be fine (and not get removed). I am very surprised that 3 of your cue listings have been removed, if there was no indication (wording) that the cue contains Ivory in it.