Ed Young Cues

PoolCueSickness

Registered
Can any one tell me a little bit on how ED Young cues play. I'd like to
get a new cue. And my two choices are a young or Mottey. I have seen
A couple of Motteys In person but only pictures of EDs cues. But I
Really like the way his wrapless cues look.

Thanks

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
PoolCueSickness said:

Thanks

Hey PoolCueSickness,

I agree with Deadon there, they play a lot like SW cues. Also I might add that they play like Kersenbrocks, and that might even be more likely now that Ed is using the "Kersenbrock taper" on his cues. The last I spoke to him, Ed and DPK spilt the work between the making of Ed Young cues so you can be assured of the quality you're getting.

As far as playability, it's my primary playing cue and I have no intentions for selling the cue anytime soon. The one I have has a modified K taper, and is actually stiffer and thicker than the K taper. I used to play with a stiff Gilbert and I wanted to take the stiffness down a couple of notches. I absolutely love the hit of the Ed Young and I highly recommend it. It's just a sweet hitting cue with the right "ping", and it's so easy to move the cueball IMO. However, just like with any other cuemaker, Ed makes a lot of different shafts for his cues so you want to actually know what kind of taper you are trying, if you get the opportunity. Some of them could hit very differently. If you can, look Ed up in Chicago or give him a call. Ed has great customer service.

I know a lot of the prolific players in the Chi-Town area play with his cues like the regulars at Chris's billiards, and Marco Marquez. Piggy Banks also used to play with an Ed Young --- I should know, I bought that cue 2nd hand.

I will be posting pix of my Ed Young soon in the Gallery section.....

dmgwalsh

Straight Pool Fanatic
Silver Member
Ed Young

Ray: I saw EY yesterday at Red Shoes. He picked up my John Davis blank and the two Willie Hoppe Professionals to work on for me. Another guy from AZB was there with a beautiful EY Purpleheart, wrapless.

Later.

DEACON

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Dennis, I do love that purpleheart wrapless Ed Young. I just had two 4 ounce shafts made for it and picked them up from Ed. The shaftwood is dark, unfortunataly, he charges 240.00 per shaft but its hard to find anything else out there which hits nearly as good. Raemondo is right in that Ed has many different shaft tapers and now even a few different butt tapers. Mine has the original Kersenbrock dimensions from butt to ferrule. Neither has yet hit a ball and I am debating selling it or trading. I showed Dennis my most recent Gilbert with a segmented handle and with the other shaft I had Ed make me last month (4.2oz), I dont know if I will shoot with the Young. Youngs are very difficult to find as most are in Asia. Raemondo, I shot with your cue when Piggy had it last year. Very nice. Deacon

raemondo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Deacon ---> that EY you have there is really stunning...the pph and the highly figured BEM really make it one of a kind. I would really love to see it someday.

I would suggest holding on the cue if you don't want to use it...we all know that EY values just go up and up like a balloon. I dunno what you shoot with but if you are even passing up playing with an EY you must have some really awesome stick.....I agree that most of EY cues are in asia, esp japan, that's why EY even seems like some sort of mystery here in the US. See so far it's mostly us chicagoans talking about him.

I've tried the Kersenbrock taper and it really wasn't for me. You have tried my cue before? =) It's a little stiffer than the K taper and it banks GREAT. We should meet up at RS sometime when I'm move up to chicago during the fall.

Dennis ---> Good to see that you got all your stuff settled....I will be visiting perhaps sometime in early june! Thanks for the mail btw, they are AWESOME. =) I hope you get your EY soon.....

DEACON

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds great, we will have to meet up for some banks/1 pocket. Im playing with the Gilbert with a curly maple ed young made shaft with Kersenbrock taper. The gilbert at the joint was larger so the shaft is stiffer than the normal Kersenbrock so it is also very stiff. Ed has told me several times that he and Kersenbrock make their cues together, one may be making their shafts while the other is working on rings etc. I agree that they will continue to go up and up. Ed now makes very few cues and as of yesterday again told me that he has not made (any ) plain cues like ours in quite a while and wont make any more. He is making pointed and fancier cues only and sending most overseas. Most people dont know about the kersenbrock connection. He has been with kersenbrock since before Omega split up. His cues hit the same and are the same as Kersenbrock. Youngs to me are the real deal. Take care, Deacon

LAlouie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks
i see this is an old old thread. regardless,,,ed was learning from dpk . they shared the same shop. so basically what you are getting is dpk's latest models for cuemaking

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Ed made my shafts 20+ years ago, but since they're made to my specs (10mm, hollow, conical) I doubt that they represent his cues generally. They still play great - nice stiff hit and the lowest squirt of any cue I've ever seen (20" pivot length). Workmanship is top notch.

At the time I heard he was selling mostly to Japanese buyers.

pj
chgo

Dak21st

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ed makes a great cue. His customer service is not the best to say the least. Gave him a $500 deposit on a $3000 build in 2006 and have heard nothing from him since. Will not reply to my e-mails etc. Wrote it off as it is now 2021 doubt I'll get a cue from him. lol.

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ed makes a great cue. His customer service is not the best to say the least. Gave him a $500 deposit on a $3000 build in 2006 and have heard nothing from him since. Will not reply to my e-mails etc. Wrote it off as it is now 2021 doubt I'll get a cue from him. lol.
Thanks. I'll put his cues on my ever growing Do Not Buy list.