Eddie Laube and Predator cues

eddieindetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a pic of a shaft made in the 1960’s by master cue builder Eddie Laube of Chicago.
You can see that Laube drilled the tip of the shaft under the ferrule and filled it with foam to decrease end mass. This is the same “low deflection” technique copied by Predator cues in their original 314 and subsequent models of shafts. Eddie Laube was way ahead.
7BA3AF36-BAC9-4D84-B1B4-6ADAEED6323F.jpeg

middleofnowhere

Registered
This is a pic of a shaft made in the 1960’s by master cue builder Eddie Laube of Chicago.
You can see that Laube drilled the tip of the shaft under the ferrule and filled it with foam to decrease end mass. This is the same “low deflection” technique copied by Predator cues in their original 314 and subsequent models of shafts. Eddie Laube was way ahead.
View attachment 614499
Are you sure it goes deep in the shaft? I used to talk with him and he never mentioned anything like that. He was a photographer, we often talked about camaras. Is this your cue?

eddieindetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you sure it goes deep in the shaft? I used to talk with him and he never mentioned anything like that. He was a photographer, we often talked about camaras. Is this your cue?
Yea, it’s my cue.
I had a super fancy one once.
Wrapless too.
I paid $$$ and doubled my money on that cue.
Stupid move.
Real stupid!
I sure wish I had that stick back today!
This is the cue referenced above. Not “fancy” but not plain either.
Best,
Eddie

85844D30-C474-48B1-9A0B-07B9F4C66AA4.jpeg
E0B3994F-304B-410B-84C0-0C9F1528BA59.jpeg

79B6878A-091C-4D24-A494-70C9A5F1EE9C.jpeg
85844D30-C474-48B1-9A0B-07B9F4C66AA4.jpeg

Last edited:

middleofnowhere

Registered
Yea, it’s my cue.
I had a super fancy one once.
Wrapless too.
I paid $$$ and doubled my money on that cue.
Stupid move.
Real stupid!
I sure wish I had that stick back today!
This is the cue referenced above. Not “fancy” but not plain either.
Best,
Eddie

View attachment 614505View attachment 614506
View attachment 614508View attachment 614505
I'm not so sure what you are seeing goes very deep in the shaft. It may be the 60⁰ center when the shaft was turned he filled in. If I remember right he pinned the joint. You can see a ground off and polished pin in the side of the joint.

eddieindetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to be clear...
I guess to be accurate I can’t be sure that Predator “copied” Eddie Laube. Perhaps they did? Predator certainly made some good money building their “low deflection” 314 shafts from scrap wood then drilling out the dip and filling it with foam. I know that Laube was a VERY respected cue builder in his day. His cues were in high demand from coast to coast. It could be that both parties thought up and employed the same technique to reduce end mass, but Eddie Laube was doing it 30 years before Predator marketed it so successfully.
Eddie

YoungAtHeart

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess to be accurate I can’t be sure that Predator “copied” Eddie Laube. Perhaps they did? Predator certainly made some good money building their “low deflection” 314 shafts from scrap wood then drilling out the dip and filling it with foam. I know that Laube was a VERY respected cue builder in his day. His cues were in high demand from coast to coast. It could be that both parties thought up and employed the same technique to reduce end mass, but Eddie Laube was doing it 30 years before Predator marketed it so successfully.
Eddie
Predator did not fill their hollowed out shafts with foam. The hollowed out section was about 5.5" long. They only used about 1/4" foam at the ferrule end to block the hole.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In the early 90's when I traveled and did repairs for the Canadian Pro Tour, people told me a Canadian Cue maker was hollowing out the front of the shaft(ferrule side) in the 1950's.
I thought it was cool and searched but found no Documented proof. They said his name was Harvey. I never knew if it was his last name or first. I know Dufferin was doing flat laminated shafts way back when. Some had red veneers top to bottom and some had green veneers. But the pie shaped pieced shaft? I personally never heard of or saw before Predator offered it. Not to long after, I heard Jerry Powers was offering it too.

Last edited:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My guess is you are just looking at the center drilled hole he put in the end of the shaft before the tapering process.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If that was done to make an LD shaft, that looks to be an pretty thick and large ferrule and large diameter tip for that.