Efren Reyes has made $1,615,000 since 2000

DeadPoked

Inadequate User
Silver Member
Wow!

That is roughly what is listed on AZbilliards from tournament payouts. That doesn't even begin to include how much he has made gambling. I don't think Efren books too many losers!

I have been trying to find information about the average salary of people in the Philippines but I couldn't find it. One thing I did find caught my eye though. $276 a year is considered the minimum required by the government to meet basic living requirements in the Philippines. $23 a month, $5.75 a week, 82 cents a day, 9 cents an hour for a 9 hour work day! According to the US Census Bureau the poverty threshold for an individual $9,393. Slight difference.

With this information it is easy to understand for me why pool is more popular in the Philippines than it is in the US. From a US perspective there is no money in pool... To a Filipino making less than 1 grand a year... $10,000 which is a typical first prize, is an awful lot of money. The average income for an American is 45,000 a year. Proportionally first place would be $450,000 which most Americans would think is a lot of money.

So why does the Philippines produce a lot more quality players than America? Because there is a lot of money in pool for a typical Filipino. There are also so many great players there that have many opportunities to play against equally skilled or better players. Your game doesn't improve by playing chumps all the time. Here in America top pool players are spread out all over the country. Our country doesn't even compare to the philippines when it comes to fostering the right type of atmosphere for players to become champions.
Just some food for thought.
 
whew!!!.... he should be too rich by Philippine standards and retire comfortably with his family the rest of their lives.....
 
One thing I like about Efren is that he is well known to spread his wealth. He takes care of ALOT of people when he wins money. I have alot respect for him and most other Filipino pro players. They are known to send money back home to their family or friends as soon as they make a score. They take care of each other pretty well.
 
I've read about Efren taking care of a lot of people. Which is very respectable.

The thing I find so fascinating after reading into the Philippines economy is how little they make. If all of our tournaments in America were paying out $500,000 for first I think we would see the caliber of play rise a lot.
 
I think your information about average salaries in the PIs is a bit off. Here's some average salaries from 2004:
Call center operator: $250/month US
Systems Analyst: $480/month US
College level teacher: $400/month US

Maybe the $276/year figure you found was supposed to be $276/month? We've got PI cuemakers selling sticks for $600. I'd hate to think that would be 2 years salary.
Maybe some PI residents can chime in here and set us straight.
Either way, great for Efren. He's certainly earned every penny.
-Rob
 
Last edited:
cuetrip maybe I didn't make my post clear enough. It's not an average salary. It's the minimum required by the government to meet living requirements.

I have been trying to find information about the average salary of people in the Philippines but I couldn't find it. One thing I did find caught my eye though. $276 a year is considered the minimum required by the government to meet basic living requirements in the Philippines. $23 a month, $5.75 a week, 82 cents a day, 9 cents an hour for a 9 hour work day! According to the US Census Bureau the poverty threshold for an individual $9,393. Slight difference.
 
DeadPoked said:
cuetrip maybe I didn't make my post clear enough. It's not an average salary. It's the minimum required by the government to meet living requirements.

I have been trying to find information about the average salary of people in the Philippines but I couldn't find it. One thing I did find caught my eye though. $276 a year is considered the minimum required by the government to meet basic living requirements in the Philippines. $23 a month, $5.75 a week, 82 cents a day, 9 cents an hour for a 9 hour work day! According to the US Census Bureau the poverty threshold for an individual $9,393. Slight difference.

Doh! Nope, you were perfectly clear. I'm a tard and didn't read it right. Sorry man.
-Rob
 
The minimum wage in the Philippines is $7.30 a DAY! :eek:
That will be an 8 hour work day. I can afford to work for just 15 minutes a day there and survive!
biglaugh.gif


http://au.biz.yahoo.com/070124/33/12ebf.html
 
cuetechasaurus said:
One thing I like about Efren is that he is well known to spread his wealth. He takes care of ALOT of people when he wins money. I have alot respect for him and most other Filipino pro players. They are known to send money back home to their family or friends as soon as they make a score. They take care of each other pretty well.

Congratulations on your mighty feat of -1000 REP!

Do you have another goal in mind?
JoeyA
 
Back
Top