Espn 2 - pool on right now.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's all about ratings. Over the past several years, pool programming has been among the least watched shows for the ESPN networks (ESPN, E2, Classic). People complain about the broadcasting of hot dog eating contests and the like, but the reality is that the Nathan's annual event typically pulls a Nielsen number in the 1.2 range (last year's event pulled 1.95 million viewers and a 1.3 rating) whereas first run broadcasts of pool are lucky to pull a third of that.

I'd love to see more pool on TV, as we make every effort to sponsor televised events, but until people with Nielsen boxes start tuning in on a regular basis, pool will not make regular appearances on any of the ESPN channels.

Ratings huh, well maybe if they didn't just use pool as a filler and let people know when it was going to be on , and then it really was on at that time not bumped for something else that might help the ratings

Or maybe if they showed forget an entire match, forget about that maybe just an entire game once in a while that would help with those so called
ratings.

It also might help if the people who say the ratings are so bad would produce a decent show in the first place. Meaning knowledgeable commentators a good color man and stop talking to the audience like they are morons, they follow other sports where the rules are much more complicated than the rules in pool. In fact thinking about that I have a hard time thinking of any sport where the rules are as simple as pool.
I done except for one more thing get rid of that stupid pocket cam it has no place in a professional pool match.

PS. There is no such thing as a first run broadcast for pool when your starting out with a third rate production!

If pool never makes it on ESPEW again that would be good for pool, all they have ever done is insult this great game in the manner they have dealt with it!

I also agree with the comments above stop trying to sterilize pool, people don't want to watch suit wearing robots.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ratings huh, well maybe if they didn't just use pool as a filler and let people know when it was going to be on , and then it really was on at that time not bumped for something else that might help the ratings

Or maybe if they showed forget an entire match, forget about that maybe just an entire game once in a while that would help with those so called
ratings.

It also might help if the people who say the ratings are so bad would produce a decent show in the first place. Meaning knowledgeable commentators a good color man and stop talking to the audience like they are morons, they follow other sports where the rules are much more complicated than the rules in pool. In fact thinking about that I have a hard time thinking of any sport where the rules are as simple as pool.
I done except for one more thing get rid of that stupid pocket cam it has no place in a professional pool match.

PS. There is no such thing as a first run broadcast for pool when your starting out with a third rate production!

If pool never makes it on ESPEW again that would be good for pool, all they have ever done is insult this great game in the manner they have dealt with it!

I also agree with the comments above stop trying to sterilize pool, people don't want to watch suit wearing robots.

I agree that if MAJOR LEAGUE Pool (World Championships, U.S. Open etc) were treated like a major league sport (live or same day coverage, unedited, pre-match publicity, regular time slots) the audience would be much larger. IMO Pool is a very good sport for television, if given the the chance to compete on a level playing field. Come on, Bowling is the the exact same shots over and over. Pool is NEVER the same rack twice, in fact never the same shot twice!

I suggest that you watch the 2011 Mosconi Cup currently being aired on Fox Sports. Yes, it's way late and you have to look for the time slots. But the matches are being shown full length with little or no editing and the production values are excellent. I kind of enjoy the commentary as well. One of the guys is a very good friend of mine. :)

Last edited:

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As I said in another thread Green rep to FOX SPORTS for treating pool the way it should be, with respect not as filler.

To you Jay many thanks for letting people know about this and I wish I knew an Email address for Fox Sports so if people would like to Email them
and let them know people are paying attention.

I won't even turn on an ESPEW program anymore, I can't bare it!