Exceed Cues

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a few pro and money players that shoot with them, both sponsored and not sponsored, and swear they are the best. Until recently I though they were just a series in the Mezz range, but I realized that wasn't true and they don't seem to be in stock anywhere, only J&J had one. I played a little with an Exceed with WX 900 shaft and really liked it.

Are these the best production cues there are? Or are they considered custom. Anyone has more insight into the history of the brand, construction etc? I'm also curious in a comparison to normal Mezz cues.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know a few pro and money players that shoot with them, both sponsored and not sponsored, and swear they are the best. Until recently I though they were just a series in the Mezz range, but I realized that wasn't true and they don't seem to be in stock anywhere, only J&J had one. I played a little with an Exceed with WX 900 shaft and really liked it.

Are these the best production cues there are? Or are they considered custom. Anyone has more insight into the history of the brand, construction etc? I'm also curious in a comparison to normal Mezz cues.
Exceed is basically Mezz's custom shop. They have a website just for this brand. http://www.exceedcue.com/english/

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
A lot of fancy decals on them.
They also have plain cues, and these are fairly easy to get hold of if you’re willing to look around. The Exceed and Mezz groups on Facebook will give you plenty of contacts that retail Exceed cues.

I have a plain curly maple exceed with no detail. The first two years I played pool, I used a pretty simple Mezz, then took a trip to Newart in Japan (I live nearby) and picked up the Exceed with a Hybrid Pro 2. I now use an Ignite with it, though I still go back to the HP2 sometimes.

Anyway, I’m obviously not the best person to ask for comparisons, and taste in cues is so subjective, but I don’t know anyone who has played with an Exceed and hated it. They may prefer something else, but I’ve never heard someone flat out dislike some combination of Exceed and Exceed/Mezz shaft.

They are beautifully constructed and solid AF. If you buy an Exceed, you won’t get a bad cue. You might not fall in love with it, but you’ll have a quality product.

All my opinion, obviously.

Shuddy

Diamond Dave’s babysitter
Silver Member
Are you joking?
They are $4K and up.
I just assumed he didn’t actually mean decals.

But just in case: No, they don’t use decals.

And you can get a plain Exceed with an Expro or ignite for under 2k.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A year and something back Mezz started a sale on their EC7 line that they were closing out. I jumped on one, it has their United joint. This lower end Mezz is better made than any other production cue I have, including three "custom" cues. I simply can't imagine how the Exceed could be ten times better. They make a fantastic product.

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just assumed he didn’t actually mean decals.

But just in case: No, they don’t use decals.

And you can get a plain Exceed with an Expro or ignite for under 2k.
My lack of use of emoji's doesn't play well with my sarcasm sometimes,,,,,,,,,,,

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A year and something back Mezz started a sale on their EC7 line that they were closing out. I jumped on one, it has their United joint. This lower end Mezz is better made than any other production cue I have, including three "custom" cues. I simply can't imagine how the Exceed could be ten times better. They make a fantastic product.
I agree.
I own an Exceed, have been playing with it for the past 6 or 7 years. It hits great, feels great, I have no regrets getting this cue. But I also shot a few times with the Mezz cues owned by other guys at the pool hall, and I cannot feel any difference. Mezz and Exceed hit equally great, eventhough Exceed talks about their unique, special build technique they use (power core / cross power core) as if that would be such a step up. It's hardly noticable, and Exceeds are much more expensive and it is much harder to get your hands on one, because they build them on order and last time I checked the waiting time is 2 years at least.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree.
I own an Exceed, have been playing with it for the past 6 or 7 years. It hits great, feels great, I have no regrets getting this cue. But I also shot a few times with the Mezz cues owned by other guys at the pool hall, and I cannot feel any difference. Mezz and Exceed hit equally great, eventhough Exceed talks about their unique, special build technique they use (power core / cross power core) as if that would be such a step up. It's hardly noticable.
In my experience cored cues really don't play much(if any) different. They will stay straighter longer. The big reason for doing it.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Can't even begin to guess at how many cues I've played with over the years. Not owned but played with. I had the same entry level equipment for decades (Falcon/Predator) until finally I decided to treat myself to something nice. Fretted over the choices for several months, and with something more than a whim I drove down the road to try out an Exceed. Looked at it's build quality and fell in love with the hit instantly. Dropped >3k on the spot and have never regretted a single moment since.

I can't speak to the similarities to a traditional Mezz but if you're comfortable with the price point, then you need to treat yourself and try out an Exceed. However, consider yourself warned ;)

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking about Mezz cues I think their designs are awful and they are pretty expensive in my mind.
But I get it they get rave reviews from almost everyone.
For me my sub $400 cues are just fine for once a week Saturday playing.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Speaking about Mezz cues I think their designs are awful and they are pretty expensive in my mind.
But I get it they get rave reviews from almost everyone.
For me my sub $400 cues are just fine for once a week Saturday playing.
I like the basic mw's in the EC-9 line. Prices aren't bad either. Fantastic cues.

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think it was Eric Crisp who posted how impressed he was by Mezz and Exceed cues and the lengths they go to in wood quality and construction. I have an Exceed for sale in the forum section and shoot with a higher end exceed in addition to my custom cues. To me there is a difference in the quality of Mezz versus Exceed. I started with Mezz and then tried out a plane jane exceed and then went all in on a fancy thuya burl six pointer. The construction and detail is impressive, better than some of the customs I own. My higher end exceed is the most consistent cue I've played with and while I rotate through my other customs, I still come back to the exceed. The problem is that the fancier ones are difficult to get ahold of and are very expensive $5k+, so once you find one you love then you better hang onto it. Good luck and give exceed a try!