Exceed Wrap-How to describe it to cuemakers?

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, I've really enjoyed playing with my exceed and in particular like the wrap. I've tried a number of different linen wrapped cues and this is one of my favorites. It's not tacky, sticky, or slick, just feels smooth and absorbs the sweat without getting damp. I'd like to have it recreated, but I know there are various terms to describe the style of linen wraps (pressed, double pressed, burnished, etc...), but I'm not familiar with what term I should use to describe it to a cuemaker. Wondering if anyone familiar with exceeds or linen wraps can tell me what style of linen wrap I should tell a cuemaker to have it replicated? Before the second guessing starts: no I don't want to send outside cues to Mezz, and no I don't have time to visit a cuemaker to inquire.
Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
-Ryan

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The linen wrap on Exceeds is no different than that of any Mezz cue. There are a lot of Mezz cues out there so any decent installer should understand what you need.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Cezar Morales

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not really.
Mezz linen wrap is on another level.
Super smooth yet not slippery and seamless for the price, havent seen other production and half decent cuemakers whom are able to recreate that.
Jmho, take it for what its worth

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Not really.
Mezz linen wrap is on another level.
Super smooth yet not slippery and seamless for the price, havent seen other production and half decent cuemakers whom are able to recreate that.
Jmho, take it for what its worth
2nd that... The fact that it's on a different level. I'm sure someone with the correct amount of ability and appropriate grade of material could reproduce it though.

I generally don't like wraps at all, but the linen on my exceed is so well done that I hardly notice it has one.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two things come to my mind. One the type of linen used, perhaps it is something only available in Japan. Second is the pressing tool used and the number of times it is pressed..

If it does absorb sweat in all likelihood it is not sealed or waxed..

Mezz has been building cues since the 60's so they have many years of experience. They may have discovered materials and techniques that only they know ..

RAMIII

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Two things come to my mind. One the type of linen used, perhaps it is something only available in Japan. Second is the pressing tool used and the number of times it is pressed..

Mezz has been building cues since the 60's so they have many years of experience. They may have discovered materials and techniques that only they know ..

I have a DPK with a similar finish. It's not quite as comfortable as my Exceed, but very nice. I believe it has Blue Mountain Linen.
I searched online and it appears the Mezz style Irish linen is available here in the US, so I don't believe there is anything proprietary.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed a difference in the wrap. The Exceed cues are pretty amazing.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I don't know what processes they follow, but my experience tells me it may be sealed or wax and won't absorb sweat. At least not at any functional amount.

I had someone spill a beer on my exceed at the end of the night and I assumed I would have to get it replaced. The next day I was able to wipe the discolouration off with a baby wipe and had zero residual ordure. That tells me it did not absorb any of the fluid.