Extending slate

Basement Banger

Registered
I have a 7' Wolverine table that has buckets for pockets. I am planning on doing subrail extensions or shimming the pockets next time it comes apart, but I think the pockets would still accept balls too easily since the edge of the slate projects so far out onto the playing surface. Has anybody ever tried to (or heard of somebody trying to) extend the slate approximately 1/2" - 3/4" into the pockets before? My thought was to glue and clamp multiple layers of thin hardwood together about 1/8" below the surface of the slate, let that cure, and then epoxy over the wood to create a flush "extension" Am I nuts for thinking this might work?

I know... I know... I know the best thing to do is to buy another table with tighter pockets, but that is not in the cards right now. Thanks for any help/advise in advance.

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I have a 7' Wolverine table that has buckets for pockets. I am planning on doing subrail extensions or shimming the pockets next time it comes apart, but I think the pockets would still accept balls too easily since the edge of the slate projects so far out onto the playing surface. Has anybody ever tried to (or heard of somebody trying to) extend the slate approximately 1/2" - 3/4" into the pockets before? My thought was to glue and clamp multiple layers of thin hardwood together about 1/8" below the surface of the slate, let that cure, and then epoxy over the wood to create a flush "extension" Am I nuts for thinking this might work?

I know... I know... I know the best thing to do is to buy another table with tighter pockets, but that is not in the cards right now. Thanks for any help/advise in advance.

AZ member Neil did it to a Valley BB. There is a thread on here or the main forum how he did it. I couldn't find it, but maybe Neil will jump in here. Johnnyt

RackemBilliards

Player, Room Owner
Silver Member
I don't think most would recommend trying this. It's hard to imagine you getting a result you will be satisfied with. I'd try just tightening the pockets and seeing what you have. You can always reconsider this later.

Bigkahuna

It's Good For Your Game!
Silver Member
I am not a mechanic but....

You should check my thread "Diary of an Antique Brunswick". Antique tables often had wooden shelf area, (not recommended). I would recommend doing some mock ups with extending the sub-rails first. You will want to pay close attention to the facing angles. Basically the tighter the pocket is the closer the facing should be towards parallel to play correctly. Every adjustment you make to shelf depth pocket facing angle and mouth opening has an effect on how the pocket plays.
If you still have to extend the shelf area I would suggest using an epoxy like JB Weld. This can be bought in larger sizes and is the same stuff but in a larger package and called Industro-Weld. You would need to make a form to dam it up (plastic from a beach bottle and tape works good) and may want to also add some steel reinforcement. Slate drills pretty easy with a steel drill bit and regular drill so you could add some horizontal pins to make sure the stuff does not break off if someone is trying to jump a ball from the pocket shelf area. Do not get overly aggressive when sanding the JB Weld you will be sanding some of the slate off as well. You will see in my thread where I carefully used a router with a special attachment to take down the JB. It is more work than you think to make it play right and that is why so many people are going to tell you to get another table. Let us know how this works and post up some pics.

Basement Banger

Registered
Thanks Bigkahuna. I really enjoyed reading through your "Diary" Lots of good stuff in there! I'm seriously considering extending the slate, but am a few months away from getting started. If I do, I will definately post a lot of pictures similar to how you did.

Thanks for the info everybody.