Fargo rating curve compared to golf handicap?

ElKabong

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is there a curve showing Fargo rating distribution ?
Its obviously a pretty standard bell curve
Since I play both games curious where my Fargo rating ranks among peers vs my golf handicap?

I’m a much better pool player than golfer
600 Fargo vs 18 hdcp

I’d think something like this

Top pro 800 +6 and better
Journeyman pro 750-800 +3 to +5
Top amateur 720 -750 +1 +2
Strong amateur 680-720 scratch
Good amateur 640-680 2-5
Strog league player 600-640 5-10
Above avg leave 550-600 10-15
Avg league 500-550 15-20
Below avg 450-500 20-25

Atorontopoolplayer

20-25 handicaps I'd think would be much lower on this Fargo scale. I think this is likely skewed too high
I'd think im also a better pool player than golfer sitting about 600 but high single digit golf handicap

Fore Rail

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Maximum handicap for all golfers is 54.0

Smallest Fargo Rate for a beginner level - uncoordinated player is 100.

Start from there, go up with FR & down with golf handicap.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Mike Page has posted distributions several times. If he doesn't post again, you could probably find one by searching on his posts. I recall several cases, like more than so many games, to filter the data.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Since I play both games curious where my Fargo rating ranks among peers vs my golf handicap?

600 Fargo vs 18 hdcp

Good amateur 640-680 2-5
Avg league 500-550 15-20
Below avg 450-500 20-25
Well the math is different, because Fargo appears to be a logarithm generated number, whereas golf is a basic linear number. I would think you would need to recompute one or the other to get them into the same scale, so to speak.

I say that, but I am definitely not a golfer lol.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play both and what's nice about pool is its kinda hard to go 'OB'. I guess hopping whitey off the table would be close. ;)

eastcoast_chris

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Quick search found this;

Old post about it;

WobblyStroke

600 Fargo vs 18 hdcp

Good amateur 640-680 2-5
Avg league 500-550 15-20
Below avg 450-500 20-25
I like your comparisons at the top end. But there is just no way a 500-550 is an 'average league player'. Most league players never sniff 500. There are 6s below 500 for life. 7s start around 550 in most areas no? I would guess that your below avg leage player estimated fargo would actually be a league 5/6, so def above avg still.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I feel like your comparisons are pretty accurate overall. I would say top players on pga tour are probably +8 or better though. I was an assistant pro at a course where several who ended up being pga tour pros played. One kept a handicap and he was a +7 while competing on the nationwide tour.

I think 700+ would be scratch and 600+ would be single digit.

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I like your comparisons at the top end. But there is just no way a 500-550 is an 'average league player'. Most league players never sniff 500. There are 6s below 500 for life. 7s start around 550 in most areas no? I would guess that your below avg leage player estimated fargo would actually be a league 5/6, so def above avg still.
Agreed. I'm sure some leagues are different but in the ones I've played in I'd guess the average would be in the 400-450 range, with plenty of players 350-400 and 450-500. At 500+ you're talking about a player who gets a lot of respect in the league.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. I'm sure some leagues are different but in the ones I've played in I'd guess the average would be in the 400-450 range, with plenty of players 350-400 and 450-500. At 500+ you're talking about a player who gets a lot of respect in the league.
Definitely depends on the league. APA it is probably true. BCA leagues here it is probably 550+before some respect and how much depends on how much over 550. 600s are pretty good but nowhere near the best players.

WobblyStroke

I'm surprised such a high percentage of golfers are 10hcp or better (34%). In general I think too high a percentage is reported at single digit handicaps.... 20% are 7hcp or better. 10% are 4.9hcp or better. 5% are 2hcp or better.

Then again, only official handicaps are counted and better players are more likely to carry and keep track of such things. I guess that is somewhat true of FR too since much of the low end players don't even know what FR is let alone play in events that track it.

Looking at the numbers above, I'd guess 10hcp is too high for a 600FR. Maybe 600s are 7hcp? Outskirts of the top 20% of players with FR makes sense....

If the mean is 500 and SD is 108, that puts 2/3 of players in the middle chunk between 392-608. This leaves about 16.5% on either end of that. So coming from the topside, looks like 600FR would be in the top 20% of all players.... so a 7hcp according to hcp distributions.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mike Page has posted distributions several times. If he doesn't post again, you could probably find one by searching on his posts. I recall several cases, like more than so many games, to filter the data.
The distribution shifts a lot depending on how the population is chosen. Here is the 180,000 people with 50 or more games in the system

Average is 446 and middle person is 452
Top 0.1% is 786
Top 1% is 708
Top 5% is 631
Top 10% is 592
Top 20% is 546
Top third is 501
Top 50% is 452

Standard deviation here is 118.7
1711637116442.png

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm surprised such a high percentage of golfers are 10hcp or better (34%). In general I think too high a percentage is reported at single digit handicaps.... 20% are 7hcp or better. 10% are 4.9hcp or better. 5% are 2hcp or better.

Then again, only official handicaps are counted and better players are more likely to carry and keep track of such things. I guess that is somewhat true of FR too since much of the low end players don't even know what FR is let alone play in events that track it.

Looking at the numbers above, I'd guess 10hcp is too high for a 600FR. Maybe 600s are 7hcp? Outskirts of the top 20% of players with FR makes sense....

If the mean is 500 and SD is 108, that puts 2/3 of players in the middle chunk between 392-608. This leaves about 16.5% on either end of that. So coming from the topside, looks like 600FR would be in the top 20% of all players.... so a 7hcp according to hcp distributions.

Yeah, I think the golf handicap is very heavily skewed. I've been a golfer most of my life, picked up the game when I was 14. Some years I may only play a few times, other years it's been my main hobby and I would play a lot. I have never had an official handicap. I'm about a 16 I think, based on my GPS and score tracking app, but I've never bothered with an official handicap as I don't compete. It requires paying a small fee, signing up with a home course or club, etc.

I know people who played golf in high school & college, who play in multiple leagues, etc and know very few who have an official handicap these days.

Pool on the other hand, you get a Fargo just by entering a lot of tournaments or leagues

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The distribution shifts a lot depending on how the population is chosen. Here is the 180,000 people with 50 or more games in the system

If the population is chosen as all people, whether they are in FargoRate or not, whether they've every touched a pool cue or not, then in areas where pool is moderately popular, there seems to be about 1 700+ player per million population.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I think the golf handicap is very heavily skewed. I've been a golfer most of my life, picked up the game when I was 14. Some years I may only play a few times, other years it's been my main hobby and I would play a lot. I have never had an official handicap. I'm about a 16 I think, based on my GPS and score tracking app, but I've never bothered with an official handicap as I don't compete. It requires paying a small fee, signing up with a home course or club, etc.

I know people who played golf in high school & college, who play in multiple leagues, etc and know very few who have an official handicap these days.

Pool on the other hand, you get a Fargo just by entering a lot of tournaments or leagues
Keeping your golf h'cap is pretty easy. Its a fairly simple formula. Nice thing about having one is you know how to adjust your h'cap that day based on the SlopeSystem. On a fairly easy track i'm about a 12 but if i go play a stout one i might get as many as seven extra shots. The SlopeSystem is kinda like FR but its based not only on your opponents skill but also the difficulty of the course.

Last edited:

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Keeping your golf h'cap is pretty easy. Its a fairly simple formula. Nice thing about having one is you know how to adjust your h'cap that day based on the SlopeSystem. On a fairly easy track i'm about a 12 but if i go play a stout one i might get as many as seven extra shots.

Yeah, my app tracks it for me based on the scores I enter there, but it's not an official USGA handicap so not counted in any data on averages. Most of the people I play with have at least a good idea of what their handicap is, many a very good idea, but only a couple I can think of carry and official USGA handicap.