FargoRate and Straight Pool - 100 ball runner rating?

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been wondering lately, while watching FargoRate grow in popularity of use, what does a 100 ball runner look like in FargoRate.

Now, I know FargoRate doesn't take into consideration the game of 14.1, but I think it would be interesting to examine where some players are rated and discuss the upper boundries possible for certain FargoRate levels, eg. 600-650, 650-700, etc.

Does anyone know if Mike Page has presented any data in this regard?

I, for one, would be interested to see if there is some correlation or if, like 1pkt, there is too much game-specific knowledge that would skew the results.

- Ben

fiftyyardline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My non-scientific guess on Fargo/ 100 ball run: I would say that to ever run 100 balls once or even get close to that would require an established Fargo rating of at least 650. Anyone who has run 100 balls multiple times would be over 700.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My non-scientific guess on Fargo/ 100 ball run: I would say that to ever run 100 balls once or even get close to that would require an established Fargo rating of at least 650. Anyone who has run 100 balls multiple times would be over 700.

This sounds about right to me. When we did straight-pool league a couple years ago, we computed just-straight-pool Fargo Ratings for the players for two seasons. In the end those were pretty close to the same as the players' Fargo Ratings (which were mostly based on 7-foot table 8-Ball).

I've spent a lot of time around 620 speed. And I used to just open break and run balls a lot --like several thousand attempts. I've been in the 50s a few times, in the 40's a bunch of times, and 70 once.

Benward452

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply Mike and Fifty.

It’s amazing how high the skill level is to achieve the illustrious 100 ball run.

Is it easy to see what percentage of current FargoRate players at or over 650?

Thanks again for the enlightening information.

-Ben

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the reply Mike and Fifty.

It’s amazing how high the skill level is to achieve the illustrious 100 ball run.

Is it easy to see what percentage of current FargoRate players at or over 650?

Thanks again for the enlightening information.

-Ben

Although I agree that around 650 or more is necessary it's not reasonable to assume that most at or above that number would be able to do it. Even players 700+ will have trouble until they've put a good amount of time in playing the game.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Although I agree that around 650 or more is necessary it's not reasonable to assume that most at or above that number would be able to do it. Even players 700+ will have trouble until they've put a good amount of time in playing the game.
I mostly agree with you. On the other hand, it took Lee Vann Corteza about three hours of 14.1 play before he ran 200+. I think he had never played any before he tried it at Derby City.

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I mostly agree with you. On the other hand, it took Lee Vann Corteza about three hours of 14.1 play before he ran 200+. I think he had never played any before he tried it at Derby City.

Right Bob. I was kinda referring to the average 700-750ish rotation player with no 14.1 experience. Lee Vann (800 FR) and others in that class would get there pretty quickly.