FargoRate: Is an Arizona 600 better than a 600 elsewhere?

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is where you hope their preliminary starting # is accurate.

Had to look and Judd Trump is a 742 with 69 games in the system. I would think he would start at 750. That's is above bca Vegas but under most of the top pros at 780 to what 830?

yea not talking known names, they won't sneak up on anyone. but say a pool player had a half decent fargorate with many games when very young, but then played c8b at a high level for a few years. when he returns to pool his 520 fargo is still solid because of the games he had before? and will adjust slowly?

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
yea not talking known names, they won't sneak up on anyone. but say a pool player had a half decent fargorate with many games when very young, but then played c8b at a high level for a few years. when he returns to pool his 520 fargo is still solid because of the games he had before? and will adjust slowly?

Let's say Henry plays for 3 years logging 400 games a year. So he has a rating and robustness of 1,200
Then he takes 3 years off
Then he comes back and logs 400 games in his first year back.

He now has a rating and a robustness of 1600.
The recent 400 games have more influence on the rating than do all 1,200 of the earlier games combined.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's say Henry plays for 3 years logging 400 games a year. So he has a rating and robustness of 1,200
Then he takes 3 years off
Then he comes back and logs 400 games in his first year back.

He now has a rating and a robustness of 1600.
The recent 400 games have more influence on the rating than do all 1,200 of the earlier games combined.

i think we all understand that the fargorating will catch up and eventually be accurate.

on a similar note, do you have phone myint kyaw logged in fargo? he's been playing c8b for 3-4 years. won the 9-ball and 9-ball teams at the SEA games last week, beating yapp, chua, etc

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think we all understand that the fargorating will catch up and eventually be accurate.

on a similar note, do you have phone myint kyaw logged in fargo? he's been playing c8b for 3-4 years. won the 9-ball and 9-ball teams at the SEA games last week, beating yapp, chua, etc
He's in as Myint Kyaw (785) but only has 140 games

He lost 2-11 to Chua first elimination round in 2018 world 9-Ball/Qatar

Didn't make elimination round in 2019 (lost 5-9 and 4-9 to Casper Matikainen and little Ko)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Ya, I get accused of that at league sometimes. I just smile, wife really enjoys shooting with her girlfriends, and that's fine with me. She never complains about anything I do.
I just bought a new boat last month, well over 100k, and never talked to her 1st about it. It was funny actually, as one of her friends came over to shoot some pool with us and while we were shooting the dealer called to finalize a few things, and I told him fine let's go with it. When I put the phone down, her and her friend looked over at me and my wife said, did you just buy a new boat? I just smiled and she said to our friend, looks like we just bought a new boat. She loves to fish also, so that helps.
As to a good fargo rating starting out, it is quite easy as most of our league players shoot fargo rated tournaments regularly, and we have over 70 players to get an estimate from.
One of my customers owns a large dealership, it blows my mind how easy it is to spend $100K-$130K on what I think they call "walleye" boats. Don't get me wrong, these are extremely nice boats well equipped with all the bells and whistles, a fish locator in the front, one in the rear, and 1 or even 2 more by the drivers seating position, those anchor sticks on the rear (I cant remember what they are called), electric trolling motor on the front, GPS guided auto pilot, smaller 20HP gas trolling engine, then the 300-400hp Verado out back, holy smokes, what a boat!!! But look at that price too. Cool stuff.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I've got, and mine is 22' about the biggest they make, and loaded. It does fall into the price figure you quoted, but not by much. The one I traded in, same model as what I have, was 4 years old and I was given 3k les than I paid new for it. They do hold their value if taken care of, but holy smokes the new ones have skyrocketed in price since covid. Just bought a new loaded ford pickup last fall for half the price of my boat. There is no way these new boats are actually worth what they are asking for them.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sure, but that is the same problem you would have with ANY handicapping systems that does not know about the person it's trying to handicap. Someone secretly getting better is the same thing as a totally new player, no way to know what they can do till they do it.

Really the only thing handicapping systems need is good data and honest players to fill that data. By far the biggest issue is the players and second is the people responsible for the ratings not taking good enough action to deal with the cheaters.

In your example of a player getting better without anyone knowing it, all he has to do is tell the tournament director "so I am a 525 here but I actually got better so you should put me in as a 575" and no more issues. It's similar to that line we hear "all it takes for evil to prosper is for good people to do nothing", and that applies as much to leagues as it does to world events.
How many times have we seen people on here say they play better than what their Fargo reflects and everybody on here makes fun of them and says they think they play better than what they actually do?

I played in a Fargo tournament a couple weeks ago and my Fargo went up 30 points and I played terrible in the tournament. I haven’t practiced in over 3 months due to working a lot. I know mines still a little low but I don’t care. I’m a banger and I have nothing to prove.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
That's what I've got, and mine is 22' about the biggest they make, and loaded. It does fall into the price figure you quoted, but not by much. The one I traded in, same model as what I have, was 4 years old and I was given 3k les than I paid new for it. They do hold their value if taken care of, but holy smokes the new ones have skyrocketed in price since covid. Just bought a new loaded ford pickup last fall for half the price of my boat. There is no way these new boats are actually worth what they are asking for them.
Last summer my guy had a buyer drive up from Kentucky to WI to buy a new boat because everyone was so behind from Covid. Sounds like you have a very nice boat!!!!

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
How many times have we seen people on here say they play better than what their Fargo reflects and everybody on here makes fun of them and says they think they play better than what they actually do?

I played in a Fargo tournament a couple weeks ago and my Fargo went up 30 points and I played terrible in the tournament. I haven’t practiced in over 3 months due to working a lot. I know mines still a little low but I don’t care. I’m a banger and I have nothing to prove.
I'm one of "those people". Day in day out, I know my average spd is a tiny bit better then my current 671. Figure I should be in the mid 680 range. How do I know that...? Well I'm gauging my ability/performance against more established fargo players and their ratings. If every ball I struck was in a fargo rated event then I have zero doubt my imaginary ~680 would be reality. As it is, I play in a reported event maybe once every handful of months. So, it's sounds funny and obvious to add, but fargo isn't my average rating as a player, but my rating of how I perform in sparse events that are reporting...lol.

Any event that has players my spd or better will also be away from my home room. I generally drop racks due to CB control issues while adapting to foreign equipment. While at home I play well, but my opponents are generally <525, so a single rack loss in a race to 7 nets me a negative result. Funny how that works. If I'm otherwise flawless but hang the money ball once against a 525 it's net fargo loss, (negative result). If I do the same against a 700, I'm playing 800 spd...lol

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love these discussions. Every time they are broached the goal line gets moved.

Here’s Arizona vs. everywhere else.

> But what about the perfect isolated bubble, Nowhereville?

Doesn’t exist.

> But it kinda exists with women.

No there’s plenty of women that play men.

> The elite women only play each other

Enough of them and their opponents don’t

> But their ratings aren’t the same as men’s

Here’s many example illustrating they are

> What about a race to 100? What about 10 ball on a gold crown with slow felt, deep shelves, and narrow pocket facings in a humid climate? What about this one time a woman lost to a man of a lower rating?

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm one of "those people". Day in day out, I know my average spd is a tiny bit better then my current 671. Figure I should be in the mid 680 range. How do I know that...? Well I'm gauging my ability/performance against more established fargo players and their ratings. If every ball I struck was in a fargo rated event then I have zero doubt my imaginary ~680 would be reality. As it is, I play in a reported event maybe once every handful of months. So, it's sounds funny and obvious to add, but fargo isn't my average rating as a player, but my rating of how I perform in sparse events that are reporting...lol.

Any event that has players my spd or better will also be away from my home room. I generally drop racks due to CB control issues while adapting to foreign equipment. While at home I play well, but my opponents are generally <525, so a single rack loss in a race to 7 nets me a negative result. Funny how that works. If I'm otherwise flawless but hang the money ball once against a 525 it's net fargo loss, (negative result). If I do the same against a 700, I'm playing 800 spd...lol
I don’t completely understand how that works, but I know exactly what you’re saying. It seems a good chunk of my games in the system are against players in the 500s or lower from league. I’ve had stretches where I don’t lose any games for weeks and weeks on end, and my Fargo will raise maybe 4-5 points. Have a bad night and lose one or two and it drops 3 points as soon as the update hits. Meanwhile, I have tournament wins against players in the 680 up to 740 range, that weren’t reported to Fargo, in an even race format. I’d like to think my 657 rating would be higher if more of my data were in the system, but who knows. I know a few guys who say my 657 rating is higher than it should be. 🤷 It’s probably pretty accurate overall, with over 600 games in.

How many games do you have in the system?

KyHighball

I love these discussions. Every time they are broached the goal line gets moved.

Here’s Arizona vs. everywhere else.

> But what about the perfect isolated bubble, Nowhereville?

Doesn’t exist.

> But it kinda exists with women.

No there’s plenty of women that play men.

> The elite women only play each other

Enough of them and their opponents don’t

> But their ratings aren’t the same as men’s

Here’s many example illustrating they are

> What about a race to 100? What about 10 ball on a gold crown with slow felt, deep shelves, and narrow pocket facings in a humid climate? What about this one time a woman lost to a man of a lower rating?
Every thread on Fargorate has looked like this since the beginning.
Really makes you think about how much you can beat a dead horse.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I rarely ever play in a Fargo event either. Like I said earlier I have nothing to prove. Im just a banger with only 150 games and a 630 rating in the system over the last 4-5 years. Almost every tournament I play in has players with ratings from 650 to 730. I know how I compare to those players regardless of any rating.

skip100

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Im just a banger with only 150 games and a 630 rating in the system over the last 4-5 years"

Banger with a 630 rating - LOL.

This is like saying "I suck at golf, I have a 3 handicap."

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
I moved to TN, from AZ at the end of last year.
I have played maybe 150-200 games since coming here.
My Fargo has stayed the same for 6 months (up a point, down a point...).
I took 1st or 2nd in at least 4 tournaments that did not go into FR however.
Maybe I'd be a couple points higher, not sure.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I don’t completely understand how that works, but I know exactly what you’re saying. It seems a good chunk of my games in the system are against players in the 500s or lower from league. I’ve had stretches where I don’t lose any games for weeks and weeks on end, and my Fargo will raise maybe 4-5 points. Have a bad night and lose one or two and it drops 3 points as soon as the update hits. Meanwhile, I have tournament wins against players in the 680 up to 740 range, that weren’t reported to Fargo, in an even race format. I’d like to think my 657 rating would be higher if more of my data were in the system, but who knows. I know a few guys who say my 657 rating is higher than it should be. 🤷 It’s probably pretty accurate overall, with over 600 games in.

How many games do you have in the system?

I want to be clear. I don't doubt my rating, the numbers are the numbers, and I have faith in correctly implemented math. However the vast majority of my time on a table is not reported to fargo. ...so although I have zero doubt my current rating is exactly where it should be based on the data fargo has collected. I also know my 'big picture' game is stronger then how I've performed at events that are reporting. Albeit a small up tick...

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I rarely ever play in a Fargo event either. Like I said earlier I have nothing to prove. Im just a banger with only 150 games and a 630 rating in the system over the last 4-5 years. Almost every tournament I play in has players with ratings from 650 to 730. I know how I compare to those players regardless of any rating.
I'm actually the opposite. I want to prove my ability, and really wanted to push this year to see how close to 700 I could be. I really enjoy the tool that fargo is. There's a difference between saying that you're as good as someone .vs. having data to back it up. I simply don't have the free time to commit to improvement so I will have to be content with my imaginary rating...lol

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"Im just a banger with only 150 games and a 630 rating in the system over the last 4-5 years"

Banger with a 630 rating - LOL.

This is like saying "I suck at golf, I have a 3 handicap."
The funny thing is I’ve played a lot of golf and I have no clue about golf handicaps. Me and my son just always played together. Now I only play 2-3 times a year but back when I played a lot I usually scored in the low to mid 80s, my best was a 75 on a par 72 course.

When it comes to pool I’m still a banger.

9BallKY

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm actually the opposite. I want to prove my ability, and really wanted to push this year to see how close to 700 I could be. I really enjoy the tool that fargo is. There's a difference between saying that you're as good as someone .vs. having data to back it up. I simply don't have the free time to commit to improvement so I will have to be content with my imaginary rating...lol
I can understand that. I’ve never played in a Fargo tournament where I’ve played up to my ability. The last one I played in I hadn’t practiced in 3 months and both sets I lost were to a 725 player who ended up winning the tournament. In those sets I could have played better, I’m not saying I could have won but if I had been practicing I could have given myself a chance to win.

My point is it doesn’t matter what my Fargo rating is when I play in a tournament I have to beat whoever I draw regardless of my rating or their rating.