Fast Eddie the chalk hustler

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
Not that any respectable player would be foolish enough to fall for it but…. Thought I’d share.

Here’s my story:
I sometimes guest bar tend at my favorite watering hole for fun and some play money. A box of chalk mysteriously showed up at the bar. Probably a hint and a gesture from a regular that the wallowed out chalk hanging from the sides of the table needed replacing.

After swapping out the long done chalk with the newly delivered fresh new cubes, the day began. Enter a regular ready to hit a few bottles and balls. Playing great and potting some great shots. Then oops mis-cue. Play some more, then mis-cues again.

Hmmm is it the player, the beer…

He chalks, shoots, mis-cues. The sound of frustration hits the air and the stick hits the floor and splinters fly.

Ok, ok I know. No excuse, and I agree. Especially since I repaired that cue myself and it has been a customer favorite. He quickly apologized for his bad behavior and said he would pay for the stick.

After a short while he said it was his fault and not the sticks. However, not long after that more people came in and as we played more and more mis-cues started occurring. We play together often, and the percentage of mis-cues was not normal and getting ridiculous.

Hearing the new complaints, the stick breaker was now in the vindication, told you so mode. Bad chalk is not a good excuse, so he agreed he is still needed to pay for the cue.

I got the chalk replaced with masters from the storage room and all is right in the universe again.

Moral of the story: Don’t get hustled by Felson. It’s just a game.

IMG_8463.jpeg

Last edited:

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You just gave me an idea. I buy that chalk and re rap it with the master logo. Then when I'm in a cash game I set that chalk out for my opponent to use and just use my own personal chalk. Not bad huh.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
You just gave me an idea. I buy that chalk and re rap it with the master logo. Then when I'm in a cash game I set that chalk out for my opponent to use and just use my own personal chalk. Not bad huh.
If I was 70 I would say: “Are you trying to break your fingers?” Now days, some angry dude might have a gun in his car!! Good luck with that.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I got a ton of sportscraft chalk one time, I think it was in a pocket of a cue/case I bought at the pawn shop. I miscued like crazy. I just left it at the place I played at and you definitely noticed more miscues. It wasn't a hustle, we didn't play for any money but I sure got a laugh at all the miscuing. Sort of a blind study to see if it was just in my head.

I accidentally hustled a much better player at a tournament once. He's the master level guy who analyzes everything and had 5 cubes of chalk on the rail. Every shot he picks up 3 different ones, chalks and sets them on tangent routes. Well, I got really sick of moving his chalk to shoot my shots. Literally almost every time I shot I had to move the bastards, due to both quantity and because obviously he was putting them where he was trying to move the CB.

I got annoyed after moving them a dozen times and brought the handful of them over to his table and set them there, but left one at the table. Well here he comes with another chalk and the very next turn I'm moving chalk again. I had had enough and got his attention (I thought) and sat both of them up on the light.

His next turn he comes up all confrontational like, chest puffed and asks if I took his chalk. I said "No, I put the damn things on the light. I got your attention so you could see where they were, you looked over and watched me do it. I'm sick and tired of moving 2 or 3 pieces of chalk every time I go to take a shot. Somebody as good as you shouldn't need 4 targets to know tangent lines and the damn route they want the CB to go anyway."

The next time I saw him he had a magnetic chalk holder. 😂