Fat guy stroke issue.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
just fyi and to give the op confidence, my league operator is very, um, large, and is also one of the best pool players in my region. So it is certainly doable.
The op determined he isnt that “overweight”
my comments had more to do with health than skill at pool
so i think someones health and life is more important than how well they play pool
i would tell the miz (r.i.p.) and buddy hall to lose weight too
jmho
icbw

Last edited:

skiergd011013

I agree that bbb's comment wasn't disrespectful. It was meant in a good way. However, I disagree with the "choice" thing. I'm skinny as a rail and have been my whole life. I can eat whatever I want and as much as I want and barely gain a pound. It's just the way I was made. I have to assume the same thing happens to some overweight people. They're just built that way. endomorphs. American diet doesn't help, too.
im the same as you. I think a lot of it is hereditary. There really isnt any obesity in my family. I once had an overweight friend tell me he hates me because i can eat whatever i want, and he cant eat a tictac without gaining a pound.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getting a constant half a tip off center on my stroke. Been trying things the past few days that I can't repeat. I've been doing corner drills doing stops. Some nights better than others.

If I take a ball and hit from rail to rail trying to hit the tip I'm consistently a inch to 2 inch to the right when ball comes back.

Id really like to get a decent consistent center stroke before really getting into spin.

Things I've tried. Grip, grip angle, bridge hand distance, stance. Looser grip. Tighter grip. Closed bridge. Open bridge. Opening stance more. Choking up on cue trying to make good 90 degree angle at aim.
I had the same problem for a long time.

I’d put the CB on the spot and shoot it to the center Diamond and leave the cue extended to the end of my stroke with the intent of the CB rolling back to the tip dead center and stopping.

A great way to see if I’m hitting the middle of the CB not right/left. And mine was coming back to the right a hair very consistently on a 9’ table.

So I started hitting what appeared to be a hair to the left to compensate for the imperfection. And I got it corrected.

What looks like center ball to me really isn’t. It’s a fraction of a mm but it’s real. I just kept at it until it felt normal. This took a long time to fix. It’s fixable but it wasn’t easy.

Should be noted I have very little talent for pool, became a pretty good player but nothing close to a champion.

Point is it’s fixable, it’s just a process

Best
Fatboy

Reactions: bbb

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I had the same problem for a long time.

I’d put the CB on the spot and shoot it to the center Diamond and leave the cue extended to the end of my stroke with the intent of the CB rolling back to the tip dead center and stopping.

A great way to see if I’m hitting the middle of the CB not right/left. And mine was coming back to the right a hair very consistently on a 9’ table.

So I started hitting what appeared to be a hair to the left to compensate for the imperfection. And I got it corrected.

What looks like center ball to me really isn’t. It’s a fraction of a mm but it’s real. I just kept at it until it felt normal. This took a long time to fix. It’s fixable but it wasn’t easy.

Should be noted I have very little talent for pool, became a pretty good player but nothing close to a champion.

Point is it’s fixable, it’s just a process

Best
Fatboy
Saw Kid Delicious play. He had a chicken wing to clear his stroke.
I don't think he can play now. He is huge.
But, amazingly, Mizerak maintained his stroke .

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Saw Kid Delicious play. He had a chicken wing to clear his stroke.
I don't think he can play now. He is huge.
But, amazingly, Mizerak maintained his stroke .
I’ve never been big enough where it effected my game. Buddy hit them good after he gained some weight too

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I’ve never been big enough where it effected my game. Buddy hit them good after he gained some weight too
Last time I saw Buddy, you could hear him breathe while he was walking around the table.
And that was almost 20 years ago.
Not healthy.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last time I saw Buddy, you could hear him breathe while he was walking around the table.
And that was almost 20 years ago.
Not healthy.
He’s lost a little weight. I saw a pic of him at the last SBE. I didn’t post it here as I think it’s a private pic. But yes Buddy gained too much weight, I wish he wouldn’t have. It just never ends good. I’m 245 @ 6”1’ and need to lose 20 more. At 225 I’m spot on. I couldn’t imagine being 100 over.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
He’s lost a little weight. I saw a pic of him at the last SBE. I didn’t post it here as I think it’s a private pic. But yes Buddy gained too much weight, I wish he wouldn’t have. It just never ends good. I’m 245 @ 6”1’ and need to lose 20 more. At 225 I’m spot on. I couldn’t imagine being 100 over.
buddy i think could give 100 over the 7:eek:

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
my house pro was good friends with buddy when buddy spent time in oklahoma
i met buddy at the first "summer derby" at tunica
told him my house pro sent his regards
buddy had a big smile and asked how he was doing and we had a great conversation
at that time he was using a motorized cart to get around the tournament area
wish him well

Ratta

Hearing the balls.....
Silver Member
First you have tof find out, "why" you don t see the "real center".
Sometimes ppl are really just "lazy"- but in most cases it s an parallax error. It can be fixed- but it will be a stony and tough time and it can take a long time. (and really frustrating, too). It s kind of re-programming the brain, to learn to see the picture "right".

What is interesting and fact: If you are standing "above" your shot- you ll see the shot correctly- and after going down to the shot, you ll be off. make this experiment with every student- and it worked til now with everyone-( and then they re very surprised). Believing is here imo the biggest factor. So look for a person, where you really believe in!

Without any help it s not really possible.

Reactions: bbb

George the Greek

Getting a constant half a tip off center on my stroke. Been trying things the past few days that I can't repeat. I've been doing corner drills doing stops. Some nights better than others.

If I take a ball and hit from rail to rail trying to hit the tip I'm consistently a inch to 2 inch to the right when ball comes back.

Id really like to get a decent consistent center stroke before really getting into spin.

Things I've tried. Grip, grip angle, bridge hand distance, stance. Looser grip. Tighter grip. Closed bridge. Open bridge. Opening stance more. Choking up on cue trying to make good 90 degree angle at aim.
Everyone is built different whether fat ,tall, skinny and so forth and it requires a stance that offers straight cue delivery. If you place the cueball on the break box line straight to the rack spot and a small coin about 6-12" from the ball rail that's prettywell a straight line. Place the cue tip near the cueball and the cue resting on the rail and try sliding your bridge hand under the shaft and get into a comfortable stance. The cue being straight will dictate how your stance should be for oneself. Shoot the cueball to the end rail at a lag speed and don't move to see if the ball comes back to the tip.