Favorite cue component combination?

simmer1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have seen a number of threads about what cue or cuemaker has the 'best hitting characteristics" and know that is is subjective. But what combination of components do you think give the best results? I've watched a lot of pool and it seems a lot of pros have a stainless joint or joint sleeve. A lot of cues have the 5/6 X 14 thread, but I hear a lot about the 3/8 X10 and radial pins. Some say flat-faced ivory is really great. What do you all of you think is the best combination? Stainless steel piloted? 3/8 X 10 flat faced wood to wood? Radial with ivory joint, flat faced? Phenolic? Other?
Assuming you have a good, solid, well balanced butt (cue, not the other one) and a solid shaft (not even going there), tell me what you think is the best joint/pin combination for performance, stability, and longevity.

Thanks

Jack Madden

John Madden Cues
Silver Member
I like a 3/8 10 phenolic. I used to play with a 5/16 14 stainless and you can see from my website that I still build quite a few as custom orders.

simmer1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks, but so few opinions, makes one wonder

Jack, thanks for the reply. Have shot last several years with a ss 5/16 x 14. Have a McDermott 3/8 X 10 new/old stock that I haven't played with. Will give it a whirl. What's all the hype on an ivory flat faced joint with big pin?

Steve

dimes33

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
you can ask 100 people and get 101 different answers.i like the 5/16 14 pin.the other joints and pins just have a softer hit to me.

Shawn Armstrong

AZB deceased - stopped posting 5/13/2022
Silver Member
dimes33 said:
you can ask 100 people and get 101 different answers.i like the 5/16 14 pin.the other joints and pins just have a softer hit to me.
Most people will say that a stainless joint hits softer than a flat faced wood to wood joint. Southwests are known for being stiff with a lot of feedback. I've always found my stainless 5/16-14 piloted cues hit more mellow than my radials or 3/8-10 cues.

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Guess we need to try 'em all before we can each give a personal opinion. Then, that's all it would be...a personal opinion, right?

Ballistic Billiards

Step up your Game!
Silver Member
dimes33 said:

This is kind of where the term "subjective" comes in to it.
You may find a piloted ss 5/16 that you love that gets replaced by a flat
faced big pin with a stiffer taper. Maybe it's a 3/8x14 ivory w/ phenolic
insert. It's kind of the thrill of the hunt isn't it?

-cOOp

Ballistic Billiards

Step up your Game!
Silver Member
dimes33 said:

This is kind of where the term "subjective" comes in to it.
You may find a piloted ss 5/16 that you love that gets replaced by a flat
faced big pin with a stiffer taper. Maybe it's a 3/8x14 ivory w/ phenolic
insert. It's kind of the thrill of the hunt isn't it?

-cOOp