Favorite Pro

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure most of us have met and/or played some of the big name pros at one time or another. Which one left the best impression on you? The worst?
About 10 years ago my wife drew Lori Jon Jones in a womens 9 ball tournament. My wife played her as good as she could but blew a shot instead of playing safe and sold out the match. Lori Jon spent the next hour going over the shot and other tips with my wife. That is a proffesional. I've never really had a bad experience with any pro men, some are real aloof but that can be understood. When I met Jose Parica I thought he was one of the nicest people in the game, probably still is.

DawgAndy

satman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've met a lot of players over the years and some have left good impressions and some have left some questionable impressions. If I had to pick just one that left the best overall, It has to be Mike Massey. In the early 90's, He came to a benefit tourney for Leukemia in a town about 50 miles from me. He did 2 shows that day and played in the tournament. I had spoken with mike on several occasions over the years but had an opportunity to spend a considerable amount of time with him that day. The guy who rode to the tournament with me also spent about an hour talking with him. He treated both of us like we were long lost friends. You'll never meet a nicer guy.
On a side note, we played in the finals of the losers bracket. He won 7-6 leaving me in 3rd place. Sam

BAZARUS

alien in a strange land
Silver Member
First time I said more than "hello" to Efren was during this year DCC. I felt like I was talking to a budy not a champion. Lots of champions out there act with distance to most of the players unless they are their friends. With Efren was different, I felt compleately loose talking to him. Very nice person Efren is.

recoveryjones

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BAZARUS said:
First time I said more than "hello" to Efren was during this year DCC. I felt like I was talking to a budy not a champion. Lots of champions out there act with distance to most of the players unless they are their friends. With Efren was different, I felt compleately loose talking to him. Very nice person Efren is.

I'm not surprised by your comments about Efren. Of the 128 players entered at this years World Pool Championships about 70-75 of them named Efren Reyes as there favorite player. These are the best players in the world and Efren is their choice.A great great poolplayer with a great great personality.

satman said:
I've met a lot of players over the years and some have left good impressions and some have left some questionable impressions. If I had to pick just one that left the best overall, It has to be Mike Massey. In the early 90's, He came to a benefit tourney for Leukemia in a town about 50 miles from me. He did 2 shows that day and played in the tournament. I had spoken with mike on several occasions over the years but had an opportunity to spend a considerable amount of time with him that day. The guy who rode to the tournament with me also spent about an hour talking with him. He treated both of us like we were long lost friends. You'll never meet a nicer guy.
On a side note, we played in the finals of the losers bracket. He won 7-6 leaving me in 3rd place. Sam

_________________________________________________________________-

Yes, it is Mike Massey, that one is a no brainer, he wins, hands down. Does Earl come in last?
Fast Larry
:D

wakuljr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i used to play at hard times in L.A. and jeannette lee used to go there all the time. she was one of the coolest people, very approchable and will to chat with me. efren was also there and always willing to chat with me. you who else was very cool, rudolfo luat, he and i actually got to be pretty good friends. he worked on my break with me many times. efren would ask me to warm up with him often, either for a hard times tourny or a gamble match he had coming up. all three are true champions in every sence of the word

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
I have to vote for Nick Varner. He is one of the nicest people I have ever met. I got a chance to sit and talk to him for hours. He really helped me get a more positive outlook on everything. On the women's side there are alot of friendly people but my favorite is Jean Balukas. For one, she is my hero and second I met her when I was 11 and she remembered everytime after that. That really meant alot to me.

Take care,
Sarah

sniper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven't had the opportunity to meet alot of players but my favorite pro player would have to be Luc Salvas, he is very likeable off the table and very entertaining to watch on the table. He's always smiling and having fun joking around with other players, very approachable and down to earth and also a sportsman to top it all off.

I haven't met Tony Robles but it's not hard to see that he is a class act all the way.

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I had the honor of playing in a ten-ball ring game with Efren at HardTimes. He's a very friendly guy and a first-class act. The rule with Efren was that if he shot the ten ball he had to bring the cueball back behind the headstring and break the next game from wherever it ended up. He strung together four racks doing that, and for the last two he brought the cueball from the other end of the table back behind the headstring no more than 2-3 inches. I did win some games, and I'll never forget standing there getting ready to break and having Efren Reyes come up and pay *me*. Playing Efren is my fondest pool memory.

breakup

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
silver lining

Media exposure for tennis and golf have made celebrities of all the top professionals. Not only do they receive fame and fortune from their skill at their respective sport but we trust them to tell us what car to drive , what shoes to wear, what type of insurance we need etc. Their names are household words for people that have never participated in either sport. Their celebrity transcends their championship ability at their sport . The dark cloud that hangs over pool is the absence of big money tournaments and media coverage on the scale of many other sports. Using tennis and golf as a model, if pool were as big as either of them, then it stands to reason that the top professionals would enjoy the same celebrity as golfers or tennis players. Along with that celebrity would also come inaccessibility . Sure you can go to a golf tournament and see the pros, maybe get a autograph, but your contact will be very limited. On the other hand as this thread points out top pros in pool are every accessible. Not only do we have the ability to get to really talk to many of them, we can also get in tournaments such as DCC and maybe draw an Efren or an Archer or whoever and actually play them. Try to get in Tigers foursome at the Masters. As I see it, accessability to the top pros is the silver lining to the dark cloud that hangs over pool.

poolshoota74

Registered
Well here's my first post and Im gonna have to say my favorite pro is Rocket Rodney Morris. I've watched him play and his shooting is just amazing can't even understand how he does some of his posistions. I heard he's no teacher though, but he is friendly and will talk to you. Havne't really met any other pro, nobody really comes to hawaii...

Rude Dog

<---Dumb and Dumber
poolshoota74 said:
Well here's my first post and Im gonna have to say my favorite pro is Rocket Rodney Morris. I've watched him play and his shooting is just amazing can't even understand how he does some of his posistions. I heard he's no teacher though, but he is friendly and will talk to you. Havne't really met any other pro, nobody really comes to hawaii...
Good choice poolshoota, he's one of the good guys. I've been to Hawaiian Brian's many times back when Evan and Franky used to play a lot. I was at Hard Times in Cali the first time the whole bunch came over to play and they all played good back then. I played Rodney for about 4 hours and that was quite a grind and he got the best of me. I also played a couple of the other guys that came along and I had success with them but it wasn't easy. Welcome to the forum, you'll like it here. Peace.

Registered
not just one

i met a number of pros. a lot of them are nice. those that i particularly appreciate are thorsten, ralph, mika and efren. they're all gracious and accomodating to the fans. efren is very humorous and unassuming. although he is one of my favorites, i was a bit disappointed with django. he seemed nice on tv but not exactly nice in person with the fans.

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
DawgAndy said:
I'm sure most of us have met and/or played some of the big name pros at one time or another. Which one left the best impression on you? The worst?

DawgAndy

No way could I pick one. In men's pool, I rank Ralf Souquet and Tony Robles, not only because they play well but seem to be intact mentally too.

On the woman's side, where there are many nice players including Sarah Rousey, I would have to pick Jennifer Baretta because I have watched her go from a not real great shooting sl4 approximate to a pro. She is an inspiration because unlike many who have played forever, Jennifer worked very hard, had not played pool for long, and has a super touch and a humble attitude.

Laura

Last edited:

preacherman

CPPA Founder
Silver Member
My favorite Pro player would have to be Tommy Kennedy - I met him 2 years ago - He was friendly then and has always been every time I talk with him.
Tommy wins the nicest, friendliest pro for sure.

My favorite of the pro women - Would be Allison Fisher for her talent at the game. I would rather watch her play than any other woman. She just PURE talent!

Jim "preacherman" Mazzulla
www.christianpoolplayers.com

Railbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
888 said:
i met a number of pros. a lot of them are nice. those that i particularly appreciate are thorsten, ralph, mika and efren. they're all gracious and accomodating to the fans. efren is very humorous and unassuming. although he is one of my favorites, i was a bit disappointed with django. he seemed nice on tv but not exactly nice in person with the fans.

You must have caught him on a bad day, I've spoken with him a number of times and he was always very friendly!

Jim

Renegade

Consume Mass Quantities!
Silver Member
I think generally all pro pool players are great! almost everyone except a few have great personalities, are friendly, and humorous as well! that's why pool's such a cool sport! it's a wonder the olympics still ignore it.....

Jimmy M.

Insomniac
Silver Member
LastTwo said:
Ernesto Dominguez gives everyone the 7-ball in being friendly and nice.

Ernesto and Efren would have to be the two players that I admire most for sportsmanship. Now, as far as playing ability, even though it seems like he might have slowed down a little bit (and that is debatable), Efren is still my favorite.

LastTwo, I like your Bush quote. I often skim through the Bushisms books at Barnes and Noble when we go there. One of my favorites was him mentioning that "more and more of our imports are coming from overseas". Him and Yogi Berra have got to be the best for goofy quotes.

Last edited: