Favorite Pro

Registered
so i always catch him on a bad day.

Railbird said:
You must have caught him on a bad day, I've spoken with him a number of times and he was always very friendly!

Jim

the first time i saw him, he and efren just lost to mika in the same day. that was in the first phil open. it's understandable he must have been very disappointed. but i saw him in person like three times already. oh yes, he hasn't been winning for some time now. i even heard a similar testimony from a fellow fan here.

anyway IMO, he is still a great player and while his attitude is not probably among the best but it is still acceptable. so i'm still very much a django fan.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This thread seems to be getting away from its original theme, which was considering which pros played or met have left the best impression on us.

Here are the qualities that my perfect pro must have:

1) Good etiquette and demeanor
2) Provides encouragement to pool enthusiasts
3) Feels a responsibility to the game and its administration
4) Feels a responsibility to the youth of the game
5) Feels obligated to dress well in any pool venue, including a pool hall
6) Feels an obligation to be charitable and follows it through
7) Wants to be an ambassador for pool and willing to invest a lot of time in it
8) Wants to interact with the fans and takes the trouble to do so
9) Does a lot to raise the profile of the game of pool
10) Provides encouragement to and is accessible to emerging pro players

There is a pro out there who displays all of these qualities, and her name is Jeanette Lee, my favorite pro, for all the right reasons.

Wally in Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:

Having met Sarah Rousey and Melissa Herndon I can attest to the fact that they both meet your criteria in spades.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Wally in Cincy said:
Having met Sarah Rousey and Melissa Herndon I can attest to the fact that they both meet your criteria in spades.

Yes, Wally, both of them, and more than a few others, are a credit to the game and make its future brighter. Still, you can only have one favorite, right?

Last edited:

Barbara

Wilson deleted my avatar
Silver Member
sjm said:
This thread seems to be getting away from its original theme, which was considering which pros played or met have left the best impression on us.

Here are the qualities that my perfect pro must have:

There is a pro out there who displays all of these qualities, and her name is Jeanette Lee, my favorite pro, for all the right reasons.

The two names that come to my mind are Dawn Hopkins and Fran Crimi.

Barbara

Railbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Although I consider a number of both the woman and men players as my favorites, I would have to say that the 2004 BCA Open 9-Ball Champion Tony Robles gets the nod as number one. The guy is always an absolute gentleman, has proven his dedication to the game time and again, always has encouraging words for the lesser players, always projects a truly professional attitude. Not to mention a very dedicated loving father to his son Jonathan. I wish him all the best.

Jim

poolshoota74

Registered
Just wanted to add that i got to meet Alex Pagulayan this week before he left to go back on the road. He's got a great personality and is really funny. Not as exciting to watch as Rocket since his shots are fairly simple, But i can understand what he is doing, rocket does some crazy 5 rail sets with english that doesnt pick up until the 2nd or 3rd rail....

DawgAndy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for getting us back on track sjm

The ten points you made some up very nicely what a proffesional athelete should be. We used to go to the NEC World Series of /golf in Akron and a lot of those guys should carry those 10 points in their wallet. :rolleyes: One of the pool players that came to my mind was a guy I met 10-12 years ago and has since made a pretty respectable name for himself, Troy Frank. I met Jonny Archer about then too and he was the same way. I don't know how his success has changed him if at all. Tony Ellin was definatley one of the good guys too. I played him a race to 11 once in a tournament and got try a 3 rail kick in about rack 7 and that was the only time I got to pick up my cue! He shook my hand and grinned and said nice shootin'!

Dawg

Last edited:

Muxy

Unleash The Fury
Silver Member
Well i am 16 and i have only met one pro in my short career so far, i have been playing pool for little over a year now. This year at the end of my provincial wide ranking tour, they had Luc Salvas do a trick shot and play some fun games with some of the members...i got to play him.. him playing all banks.. race to 2. i mangaded to sneak a win 2-1 :)) great fun i will post a autograph sometime later...im new to the forums so hello everyone

Muxy

Unleash The Fury
Silver Member
here they are....another i would like to meet is Johnny Archer :p

Attachments

• luc.gif
    luc.gif
    29.9 KB · Views: 180

Wally in Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sjm said:
Yes, Wally, both of them, and more than a few others, are a credit to the game and make its future brighter. Still, you can only have one favorite, right?

Having seen her in person twice in the last year I would have to say Jeanette Lee. Any of the ladies in the WPBA who are jealous of her success better kiss her the next time they see her because she is by far the best thing pool has going for it right now.

LastTwo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jimmy M. said:
Ernesto and Efren would have to be the two players that I admire most for sportsmanship. Now, as far as playing ability, even though it seems like he might have slowed down a little bit (and that is debatable), Efren is still my favorite.

LastTwo, I like your Bush quote. I often skim through the Bushisms books at Barnes and Noble when we go there. One of my favorites was him mentioning that "more and more of our imports are coming from overseas". Him and Yogi Berra have got to be the best for goofy quotes.

Jimmy here is a goldmine for you:

http://www.collegeconfidential.com/cgi-bin/discus/show.cgi?68281/80770

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to say Efren because not only is he a great player but his demeanor at the table is something to be revered imho. I think this is why most of the other pros like him so much, his attitude is never out of line in a match. I think I like this about him even more than his ability to play.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am no Bush Fan by a long shot but that Import quote is not that bad if you consider that we import more from Canada than anywhere else. At least it could make sense.

As far as favorite player, it would have to be Tony Drago followed by Efren. Tony is real friendly and a pleasure to watch.

Efren-Well no sense repeating -it's all been said here already.

Last edited: