Fedor Gorst v Carlo Biado (Race to 120) 9 ball (Sep 16-18)

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What throne?

At the last two Bigfoot 10-ball Championships, Filler won at the International and Filler won again at Derby City, in which Shane didn't cash. Shane came just 17th at the 2022 World 10-ball. Has Shane won anything of note in ten-ball in recent years? Even pre-pandemic, JL Chang was wearing Shane out at ten-ball in action matches.

Make no mistake about it, Shane is a superstar of the highest order and is on the short list of the greatest players ever, but is there any evidence anywhere that he's the best at ten-ball right now? None that I can find.
I'm referring specifically to those long race to 100 or more 10 ball matches. Shane almost never loses those- I can only remember him losing to Earl on the 10 footer and Alex on the 9 footer

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Sorry Stu, have to disagree with you on this one, I think you may have forgotten, Shane played Chang Jung Lin September of last year and won 155-139 10-Ball, I think that still puts SVB at 1# spot when it comes to 10-Ball for now when matching up. I know Fedor played Alex 10-Ball head to head but I wouldn't put Alex anywhere near Chang when it comes to 10-Ball and Fedor hasn't matched up with anyone in 10-Ball other than Alex. 🤐
Yes, JL Chang came in cold from the pandemic from Taiwan (the Taiwan-based players hadn't been seen even once during the pandemic up to then) and Chang still was the first to 100 in that match, which was the originally intended race length. Yes, when they agreed to extend, SVB beat him out, but I had predicted a blowout in favor of Shane at that time because Chang was so off form. The US Open was the week before that match, and here's what I posted at the time about Chang's play in my US Open writeup of a year ago:

"Day 3, it can be argued, was the first great day of competition, and some big names began to struggle, with JL Chang and Josh Filler among them. Both were below their usual form, but JL Chang’s play was astonishingly bad. I’d guess he missed seven or eight balls in his double hill win over Omar Al Shaheen in which Omar was the first to shoot the double hill nine ball. This version of JL Chang needs at least the seven from the JL Chang of 2018-19."

I'm still surprised it wasn't a blowout.

Finally, for me to bet on Shane over Fedor in a ten-ball race to 120 now, I'd want a minimum of ten on the wire.

Agree to disagree. To me, Shane's not the ten-ball king he was in the mid-2010s.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm referring specifically to those long race to 100 or more 10 ball matches. Shane almost never loses those- I can only remember him losing to Earl on the 10 footer and Alex on the 9 footer
Yes, the throne once belonged to Shane, but I doubt his backers will bark up the Gorst or Filler trees unless Shane is allowed to dictate all the specifics about the equipment, the break and the rules. Yes, before the pandemic, he lost a race to 100 to JL Chang in Asia and a race to 50 to JL Chang in Texas. He only beat Chang during their one matchup during the pandemic.

Stevexjfe

Yes, JL Chang came in cold from the pandemic from Taiwan (the Taiwan-based players hadn't been seen even once during the pandemic up to then) and Chang still was the first to 100 in that match, which was the originally intended race length. Yes, when they agreed to extend, SVB beat him out, but I had predicted a blowout in favor of Shane at that time because Chang was so off form. The US Open was the week before that match, and here's what I posted at the time about Chang's play in my US Open writeup of a year ago:

"Day 3, it can be argued, was the first great day of competition, and some big names began to struggle, with JL Chang and Josh Filler among them. Both were below their usual form, but JL Chang’s play was astonishingly bad. I’d guess he missed seven or eight balls in his double hill win over Omar Al Shaheen in which Omar was the first to shoot the double hill nine ball. This version of JL Chang needs at least the seven from the JL Chang of 2018-19."

I'm still surprised it wasn't a blowout.

Finally, for me to bet on Shane over Fedor in a ten-ball race to 120 now, I'd want a minimum of ten on the wire.

Agree to disagree. To me, Shane's not the ten-ball king he was in the mid-2010s.
Fair enough, we won't know until he plays Chang again at his usual speed or Filler at 10-ball, as we know he isn't playing Fedor due to joint Cuetec sponsor's.

Reactions: sjm

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Fair enough, we won't know until he plays Chang again at his usual speed or Filler at 10-ball, as we know he isn't playing Fedor due to joint Cuetec sponsor's.
Yeah, most of the Asians who were completely grounded by COVID, especially the Chinese and Taiwanese pros and also some of the Filipinos, are in the same boat in terms of returning to their form of a few years ago. As we're seeing, though, the Taiwanese are starting to re-emerge (both of the Kos were at the UK Open and World Cup of Pool and Ko Ping Chung played in the World Games). Then again, Kevin Cheng, YL Chang and a couple of other Taiwanese pros are still missing in action. Pool fans hope to see all the great Asian cueists competing in their best form within a year or two, but it's hard to know how long it might take before they are reintegrated into the major competitive scene.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I like SVB, but I'm happy to bet a few bucks against him if he plays Filler or Gorst in a long race.

Any game.
Shane is still a stone-cold killer, but he's not the best anymore. He'd have a chance to take down any player in the world in a long race -- no doubt about that.

He'll be a first ballot hall of famer when his time comes, and is nothing less than an all-time great,

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Shane is well aware of where he stands in the world's pool "power rankings". He is extremely smart.
He plays big money matches against players he knows he can almost always beat, which is almost everyone.
But he also knows that the new crop of young Euro-talent is the real deal.
As Stu (and I) have said in previous posts, Shane knows he's not the world's best anymore, but he is still playing as good as he ever has.
It's just that now, "his best" isn't "THE best".

Last edited:

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pace of play for each of the 3 days, based on re-loop timings and ignoring brief timeouts and intermissions (if any):

Day 1 -- 6.8 minutes per game​
Day 2 -- 6.2​
Day 3 -- 5.0​

Quite a difference a big lead makes, apparently.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nice humble post by Gorst. Congrats, kid
Agree with his statement "Long races aren’t for everybody, mentally and physically draining stuff" 😄

fg11.JPG

fg cb.jpg

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
SVB was asked earlier in this interview-who is Best money game player 9ball or 10ball and his answer was Gorst cos he is on winning streak just beat Biado

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Nice humble post by Gorst. Congrats, kid
Agree with his statement "Long races aren’t for everybody, mentally and physically draining stuff" 😄

View attachment 662648

View attachment 662647
Good stuff from this amazingly confident but still humble young fellow.

On paper, this match probably should have been about 120-100 or so, and I guessed that Fedor might have had a couple more rolls than Carlo based on the final score. For Fedor to publicly say as much, however, is very classy.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
SVB was asked earlier in this interview-who is Best money game player 9ball or 10ball and his answer was Gorst
SVB might just be right here. My guess is that only the great Josh Filler can hang with Gorst in a long match right now.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
This is one reason why I like him so much more than Filler. I'm sure people have stories to the contrary, but Filler seems like a prick to me.
Yes, I have different experiences.

Josh is, indeed, very intense inside the arena as well as very animated. The joy he displays when he is succeeding, that some inexplicably take exception to, is something pool needs more of, not less. Filler reminds me of all-time great tennis player Jimmy Connors, who was incredibly animated on the court, and whose screams of joy and fist pumps galore, which some of his opponents took issue with, endeared him to tennis fans, because people came to understand how badly he wanted to succeed and how exciting it was for him when he managed to do so.

I recall the post-match interview at the 2022 Big Foot 10-ball at Derby City. After winning the final, Filler said that Fedor Gorst had outplayed him, but that having had the better of the luck was the difference, displaying humility and respect for his opponent.

Finally, I'm pleased to say I've gotten to know Josh away from the table, and he's a good guy.

Last edited:

terpdad

Registered

Josh is, indeed, very intense inside the arena as well as very animated. The joy he displays when he is succeeding, that some inexplicably take exception to, is something pool needs more of, not less. Filler reminds me of all-time great tennis player Jimmy Connors, who was incredibly animated on the court, and whose screams of joy and fist pumps galore, which some of his opponents took issue with, endeared him to tennis fans, because people came to understand how badly he wanted to succeed and how exciting it was for him when he managed to do so.

I recall the post-match interview at the 2022 Big Foot 10-ball at Derby City. After winning the final, he said that Fedor Gorst had outplayed him, but that having the better of the luck was the difference, displaying humility and respect for his opponent.

Finally, I'm pleased to say I've gotten to know Josh away from the table, and he's a good guy.
I have no trouble believing other people have different experiences w/ him, his style of play is just not to my liking. I was never a fan of Connors either, so I think you provided an excellent example. Different play styles appeal to different bases, regardless of the sport.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I have no trouble believing other people have different experiences w/ him, his style of play is just not to my liking. I was never a fan of Connors either, so I think you provided an excellent example. Different play styles appeal to different bases, regardless of the sport.
Thanks for the feedback. To each his own for sure!

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I recall the post-match interview at the 2022 Big Foot 10-ball at Derby City. After winning the final, Filler said that Fedor Gorst had outplayed him, but that having the better of the luck was the difference, displaying humility and respect for his opponent.

I feel that he has toned down and matured in past year or so. He has good things to say about his opponent in interview. Not so wild with his celebration after win and more likeable than before. :LOL:

DaveM

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was in Louisville for a music festival last weekend and went out late to hit some balls. Being able to to sit for an hour or so and watch was a treat. It was Saturday night and Gorst was starting to pull away. Always great to see matches like this live and up close.