Finding a good instructor

tomatoshooter

Hi, I'm wondering if there is anything I should know about finding a good instructor. On the PBIA website, I see an "advanced" instructor about an hour away from me, should that be all I need to know? They seem to have a structure that I can trust.

I started taking the game seriously about 2 years ago, although I have played a bit casually before then. I shoot and practice a lot but I think I will get a lot more out of my practice with a little more structure. Unless the potential instructor has a better idea, I want to refine my stroke, work on the speed control (I can hit the ball at 30% speed consistently but I often don't realize how hard I need to hit the ball), develop my pattern play, and help me develop a practice routine. I'm planning on taking lessons more occasionally than say weekly but it would be nice if I could do a two hour session every couple of months.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I do not know what you wish to accomplish, but first thing is one lesson for an hour or two.

No long term commitments until you see if two personalities mesh.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
you have a certified instructor one hour away
it would be worth your time to go for a lesson
I’m sure there will be things they can teach you
and then you can decide if the instructor is someone you want to continue with
jmho

goettlicher

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, I'm wondering if there is anything I should know about finding a good instructor. On the PBIA website, I see an "advanced" instructor about an hour away from me, should that be all I need to know? They seem to have a structure that I can trust.

I started taking the game seriously about 2 years ago, although I have played a bit casually before then. I shoot and practice a lot but I think I will get a lot more out of my practice with a little more structure. Unless the potential instructor has a better idea, I want to refine my stroke, work on the speed control (I can hit the ball at 30% speed consistently but I often don't realize how hard I need to hit the ball), develop my pattern play, and help me develop a practice routine. I'm planning on taking lessons more occasionally than say weekly but it would be nice if I could do a two hour session every couple of months.
Email me and we can talk in private.

goettlicher@verizon.net

Thank you
randyg

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thing is lessons work if you practice what your taught.

People hate the work involved with practice.
Yes, there are some players who don't want to do the work, but there are also some teachers who don't understand the person they are teaching and who don't come up with the best way to get the information across to them. There are also teachers who just flat-out teach the wrong things to players and wind up messing up their games. But it's no different from any other profession. There are people who are good at what they do and there are those who aren't good.

Have you ever asked for a recommendation for a doctor, or even a mechanic? Everyone will tell you the name of the one they use because they want to believe that they've got the best. But that's not necessarily true. Recommendations are like opinions --- everyone's got one.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, there are some players who don't want to do the work, but there are also some teachers who don't understand the person they are teaching and who don't come up with the best way to get the information across to them. There are also teachers who just flat-out teach the wrong things to players and wind up messing up their games. But it's no different from any other profession. There are people who are good at what they do and there are those who aren't good.

Have you ever asked for a recommendation for a doctor, or even a mechanic? Everyone will tell you the name of the one they use because they want to believe that they've got the best. But that's not necessarily true. Recommendations are like opinions --- everyone's got one.
A Wonderful friend and former National 3C Champion taught me many things. He never held back his knowledge to me.
I'm discovering things today he mentioned 20years ago to me.

He strived to be a great instructor and maybe he was, and it was me not picking it up. IDK.
Like I said, I learned a lot. Wish I could turn the clock back for a rewind.

At any rate, I agree with your points. Teaching skills along with the knowledge is what's important.
Knowledge alone may not impact the student.