Finish Repair Question?

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What's the average charge for filling chip outs in a finish? Is there a standard price, or do most people figure out how much in materials and man hours? I'm referring to actually trying to blend as well possible, not simply squirting some finish in there just to seal It, and not worry about the looks or if It is smooth.

The reason I ask is that there are so many variables that every job can be different, some go smoothly and others can turn in a dog job really quickly. How can we set a price on something like that without knowing what it's gonna turn into ahead of time?

I don't mind doing a good customer a favor every once in a while, but It seems to me that there's really no money in these types of jobs unless You take no pride in Your work. Most of the time I end up with way more time into it, then I feel comfortable charging someone, and maybe It's the perfectionist in me, but often times what may be passable to one person just drives me nuts, because It's not good enough in My book. I know the main purpose is to simply seal the area until a full on refinish is done, but I try to do better then that, and sometimes I have to pull every trick in the book out, and at times I'm still less then satisfied even if the customer is.

Thanks, Greg

Blue Hog ridr

World Famous Fisherman.
Silver Member
I know what you mean Greg. I am going to be doing a finish chip in the butt of one of my team mates. I slowly build up with CA, feather it out and polish.
Usually comes off without a hitch but when it doesn't, its like you said, much more finicky work involved.

With it being a team mate, the price is easy, I will get paid in beer but other than that I have no idea what a person could fairly charge.

Usually adds up to about 5 an hour tho.

KJ Cues

Pro Cue Builder & Repair
Silver Member
In my shop, there is no set price. It's time & mtrls based on my hourly shop rate.
It doesn't matter if it's a known client or not, the work quality will be the same.
I'll try to give a rough 'guesstimate' at the time I see the cue and hopefully,
try to stay near that.
I'll also inform him that not many finishes produce the same level of gloss.
I shoot auto-clear and it will stand-out on UV. A/C has more gloss.
I'll try to make him happy with the work, I want his repeat business.

KJ

Trent

Banned
if your doing it to a prodution cue typically you end up refinishing that part of the cue completley to make it look right, UV is a real pain to it stinks and typically its wavy.

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had 2 days on and off in prep, finish, and buff, all over 1 chip. I've done them in less then an hour before. I've even pulled off blending CA to UV before without wetting out a larger area, although most of the time there is no choice. like KJ mentioned your better off re shooting the whole cue, but then You might as well strip and prep which is basically a full on refinish. That's sort of the point I might could have refinished the entire cue in that amount of time. This fought me from beginning to end, first with the pop out, trimmed all the way around the area several times until It stopped popping even more as I trimmed the edges. I tested to make sure It would wet out with out showing edge before applying a seal fill, and guess what, looked like I never did a thing to prevent It. So I did it again while still soft., then feather the edges with paper, finally get My wet cote on, and start filling, get It filled, sand, buff, then the UV type issue pops It's ugly head, although I don't know If It was UV or not. The thing Is It did not show all the way around the area like It normally does when the fill is clearer then the original finish. So I prep again, and try wetting out a larger area around the spot to blend. That actually works as it sometimes will, and The edge of My wet area blends with the edge of original finish, but then I notice in the area that's prepped over, and did not get wet out is not blending with Itself in places. I tell ya what It looked like, It was like the original finish had been filled with CA several times before, although I have no reason to believe that was the case. Even that or the finish was wiped out in spots but that was not the case, I had plenty of thickness to work with. Anyhow I was just about to give in and had Myself convinced that re-coating the whole cue was the only way It was gonna happen, when I gave It one last try, and I finally got It. I had to play with the speed several times, and had to limit buffing to less them one inch of area at a time, then get off of It, because trying to do a larger area, even in small strokes, It only dulled, including the area that I had buffed out. I can't even list everything It took to pull It off, but in the end I did, at what cost though.

The thing is some people are under the impression that you simply fill the area, sand, and buff to blend, sometimes that the case, but not always. How do You justify the price of anywhere near a total refinish just to fill one chip out. I find It hard charging that much, even though I know I had the same amount of time involved or more Into the job. I don't do total finish jobs on cues other then My own. If I had seen this coming ahead of time, I could have just recommended having the cue totally refinished, but once I was in It, I was knee deep in It. I can't just give the cue back, say that's the best I can do and Your going to have to get someone else refinish It. I would have had to refinish It Myself.

I never quoted a price on the job, but that's not unusual. I have many people that just drop their cue off, for me to pick up, because they trust me to do a good job at a reasonable price. Charging what I had into this one may break that trust if They are under the impression that It would be much cheaper to repair. I guess I'll take the hit, and mark It down as a lesson. The bad part is It's not the first time I have learned this lesson, the exact same lesson in fact, and is why I try to tell people I don't really do refinish work, but truth be told on rare occasion I do It as a favor. It's not that I can't do it, never have issue turning someone away if it's some out of My current capabilities, It's just that I have no idea what I'm going to run into, and If I charge for actual time & material involved It may be cheaper for them to have It done elsewhere.

It was not a production cue, It is a custom bar cue conversion, I won't name the maker, but much of the prep issues were due to the finish wanting to lift. The grain of the wood under the finish was slap full of sanding dust, so that tells me a lot about how the cue was sealed & prepped. The cue looks to be well built though. I have no idea what type of finish was used, but If It was auto finish then It's one the hardest I have buffed out. It's usually a lot easier to buff evenly then that. That's what was strange... parts of It did, but It had spots in it that didn't, and that made it spotty looking.

Well the short of It is, I know I'm gonna take a loss, I plan on that, because I don't feel right about charging that much, without warning of the possibility upfront. but how much of a loss should I live with is the question. I mean what is fair for them under the circumstances, but not cutting My own throat too deeply, and how many times do I have to learn the same lesson. I guess that's why I ask about an average on a set price, Maybe a bottom line as a guideline of the best case senerio, and then a few bucks more then that, meeting halfway. I've done similar jobs for as little $25-$30 but spent very little time in comparison to this. I've had others that took much time, and put up a fight much like this, but had the same dilemma I do now. Even If I tell them up front time and material, by the time I'm done their trousers could fall off when I give them the damage. I haven't had one yet that I didn't pull off to at least a very acceptable result, but i just have no idea how long that will take from one cue to another.

UV production cues are a gimme. I have done some, but I usually choose to stay away from them due to the fight getting them to buff evenly. Many times the cost of the finish work would out weight the cost of the cue.

Anyhow Thanks for the input fellas.

Greg

Last edited: