First cue tip install

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
A wooden dowel 36" by half inch = 13mm aprox. Cost $.40. A lot less than a bar stick. If you're an all thumbs person forget it.

Home depot has dowels. Might be oak or pine...maybe maple. Those are what I practiced on.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Bar cues

I replace the tips on all the bar cues in town, for a couple of bars I do it for exchange for letting me play pool there for free.
One bar the give free drinks too.

I average doing about 600 bar cues every year, I do a exchange where I have already fixed the bar cues and then just exchange them out.

My point is when I suggested he do a bar cue is because I have so many of them I just naturally thought everyone has a corner in there house or shop with 40 or 50 bar cues leaning up against the wall...................

I install allot of elk master tips, and I use a veneer trimer to trim the tips to the ferrule.

I am using a mill end now in my trimer, but this is the position I have the trimmer in
and it as worked really good for me .

I have am making parts for a pocket chalker in this picture but I hope the picture gives everyone a good Idea on how I have the trimmer set up.
The trimmer mount was made by DECO cues .

Delaware Lar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Spencer,
I think you did a great job for the first time. I could happily play with that tip all day long. My friend swears by an Elk Master.

cuemaker03

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is my first cue tip install on my McDermott cue, had a lepro on it and decided to change to an elk master. Only tools I used were a utility knife, sand paper and glue. Just looking to see if I have done it right/ any advice for future installs.

Thanks,

Spencer Hughes

The very best advice I can give you is to take it to a professional cue repairman. I charge $15. to install an elkmaster and it comes out perfect every time.

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And make sure your medical insurance is up to date. Sorry to disagree...bad advice...might be ok for you but not a safe practice especially for a person trying to learn. There are some very good trimming tools made for tip repair. And not very expensive.

I don't use any knives. Pliers take off olf tip with ease. Note to labor unskilled: don't pinch ferrule!

SilverCue

Sir Raksalot
Silver Member
The very best advice I can give you is to take it to a professional cue repairman. I charge $15. to install an elkmaster and it comes out perfect every time.

I would never take my cue to someone that can't read :)

The OP stated that he did it his self because there was no place close to him that could do it.

I've been installing tips by hand since 1969.
I worked in a billiard room owned by the late great Frank Lively.
He taught me how to replace tips and straighten sticks.
I think he want's to learn how to do it right and with the information already given, I think he has a great start.

seanjonsean

Otanisan Cues
Silver Member
If there arent any repairmen in your area id buy a lathe and practice n practice n more practice then you can capitilize on that area

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
You missed his post

If there arent any repairmen in your area id buy a lathe and practice n practice n more practice then you can capitilize on that area

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

He found a pool hall where someone replaced his ferrule and installed a new elk master tip.

Shughes13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes I found a billiards pool and spa dealer hear in myrtle and they are a olhausen dealer with on site cue repairman. That is it for the area though. I will definitley keep practicing on bar cues but I will be bringing my players to him from now on.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Cue lathe

Yes I found a billiards pool and spa dealer hear in myrtle and they are a olhausen dealer with on site cue repairman. That is it for the area though. I will definitley keep practicing on bar cues but I will be bringing my players to him from now on.

You could buy your own cue lathe ?????

My first cue lathe paid for its self in less then 30 days.

I hit up every bar offering to retip there bar cues for 6 bucks apiece .

I have been averaging about 600 bar cues per year ...if I live in a big city I could carve out some fair mad money just doing bar cues.

Just throwing out some thoughts on how you can start doing your own tips ferrules and or making your own cue.
And its a major eye opener on which cues hold up and which ones don't .
and who warranties their products and who doesn't.

You can make your own shafts for the people who sanded on there shafts to the point they destroyed it...........:D

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I tried to send you a pm with pics. I also posted a thread a while back I think on my tip replacement job. I also had to repair a bad tip install and fix the shafts clear coat on a smeared drip of superglue that the repair man swears he didn't do...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G850A using Tapatalk

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Needless to say, my custom will never have any other work done on it by anyone other than the maker, or myself (tip). Here I are the finished products of the 2 that I did 100% of the work on and my custom that I had to dress up after someone else "fixed" the tip.

e2efa6a8d53dbb9fe3b67f2e52bbc607.jpg

74e2e3b04298c7c76e20818fe3da5671.jpg

55387ef096fa933ddd08598c56cc20ad.jpg

21aab2512221ab004d8f9d8622a526df.jpg

That's the before pic... the tip had about an hours worth of play on it before I came home to fix it... once I found the superglue smear in the clearcoat, I didn't want them touching my cues ever again...

Last edited:

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Needless to say, my custom will never have any other work done on it by anyone other than the maker, or myself (tip). Here I are the finished products of the 2 that I did 100% of the work on and my custom that I had to dress up after someone else "fixed" the tip.

That's the before pic... the tip had about an hours worth of play on it before I came home to fix it... once I found the superglue smear in the clearcoat, I didn't want them touching my cues ever again...

Clearly not all cue makers are still alive and or in business and or have the time to replace a tip in there busy schedule anytime some one walks into there shop or has there cue shipped to them.
And there are many qualified cue repair man out there.
Just because you pick the wrong one doesn't mean all the cue repair guys do a shitty job.
And toss in at least another 30 to 40 bucks for shipping and roll the dice with some delivery person doesn't slam dunk you shaft in the person front door step from 50 feet away.

EddySJ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh yes I totally agree. I meant I would do the tip myself next time... major work goes to the maker... or a suitable substitute. There are a few here that do okay tip work. Refinish, new shaft, etc... I think I will ship it to someone here on the forum to do.

timothysoong

TS Billiards
Gold Member
Silver Member
Honestly speaking. You did better than my first time. But I wouldnt do it on my cue. You should practice more on house cues or any unwanted cues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Tip replacement

Oh yes I totally agree. I meant I would do the tip myself next time... major work goes to the maker... or a suitable substitute. There are a few here that do okay tip work. Refinish, new shaft, etc... I think I will ship it to someone here on the forum to do.

Nothing wrong with doing the tip yourself as long as you don't sand or cut the ferrule and you don't sand on the shaft.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
Nothing wrong with doing the tip yourself as long as you don't sand or cut the ferrule and you don't sand on the shaft.

+1 on this, the truth. The unfortunate part is most don't have the patience to avoid taking a guillotine to a tip, and gouging the ferrule. But the good part is, if you're willing to invest some practice time, you can do it.

All the best,
WW