First pro tournament

pooljunkie73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Sarah,

A friend of mine just got invited to her first pro tournament, the BCA womens event. Is there any advice you could give her? Her nerves are about killing her, what did you find helped you through the first one? I told her to take in the whole experiance of it and to just try her best. I hope she doesn't get caught up in the moment and forgets she still has to play some of the best in the world, could be a tough task for her first pro event.

Thanks for any advice you could give her.

Kent Mc.

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could i ask who that might be or if not how she got invited? That's the toughest one to get into i believe and i have a couple of friends hoping for an invite. Thanks

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
Hi Kent,

First, you have to promise this isn't going to be used against me when I have to play her :) Just kidding, I don't mind at all.

Playing in your first pro tournament is tough. I think you said it pretty well, don't get caught up in the moment. That is the biggest mistake.

Another big mistake is trying too hard. You tend to feel like there are a ton of people to impress and you want to win so bad. Just remember you only have to impress yourself, win or lose.

The most important part of playing in the tournament is to have fun. All of the women are pretty friendly. I didn't really talk to many people until my third or fourth tournament. I found out that once I started to get to know everyone it was alot easier. You don't have to wait 3 or 4 tournaments either. This takes away from playing just a name (Jeanette, Karen, Allison, Helena)

One last thing is to remember that success may not come from the start. It might take a few tournaments to feel completely comfortable. Don't let it get you down if you lose a match or don't play as well as you would like. That is why they make 2nd chances. Keep your hopes up.

When all else fails, take some Pepto Bismal :) I do that every once in a while when I can't get rid of the butterflies in my stomach.

I hope this helps. I look forward to meeting you and your friend in Vegas.

Sarah

pooljunkie73

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Nostroke said:
Could i ask who that might be or if not how she got invited? That's the toughest one to get into i believe and i have a couple of friends hoping for an invite. Thanks

Hi Nostroke,

My friend finished second in the Canadian Nationals. She beat some great shooters along the way, including Rachel Abbink and Anita Kucima. She has a great game but she needs the big tournament experiance to jump to the next level. As for how she was invited, Canada is given so many spots and one was offerd to her.

Kent Mc.

Wally in Cincy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sarahrousey said:
When all else fails, take some Pepto Bismal :) I do that every once in a while when I can't get rid of the butterflies in my stomach.

Pepto-Bismol, potential Sarah Rousey sponsor :D

Now if we can just get Budweiser to sponsor Mr. McCready.......

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks- Ill be on the look-out for her. Sounds like she earned her way in as opposed to being invited.

Didn't know Anita was still playing. Havent seen her or her name in a while. When she is on she doesn't miss.

sarahrousey

pro player
Silver Member
Hey Wally, good idea! It sounds funny but it's the truth. Not so much anymore though.

Nostroke, I didn't know Anita was still playing either. She hasn't played in a tournament since NYC when she almost beat Allison. She's a really great person. I hope to see her playing again.

Kent, I look forward to meeting your friend. She sounds like a great player. I wish her luck.

Sarah