For SUGARTREE CUE users, post ur review

Do you recommend SUGARTREE Cues for everyone?

• Total voters

nj82tj

The dude abides.
Silver Member
I couldn’t be happier with my SugarTree. I’ve got limited experience but I’ve shot with Pechauer, Schon, Viking, Schmelke, Pierce and a few others. The fit and finish is superb on Eric’s cues and the woods are amazing. I don’t think I could ever part with mine. Bloodwood into maple full splice with boxwood Burl butt and micro rings. Also, the pin is a modified 3/8x10 with a .311 minor diameter (I think .308 is more standard) and the shafts that I play on mine are his old growth shafts. They provide an amazing feel.

Attachments

• 183707CB-0D46-46BE-833E-E1DDD5E5282B.jpg
    183707CB-0D46-46BE-833E-E1DDD5E5282B.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 480
  • 93E3AE95-B2A7-4AF0-9032-908732CD3B06.jpg
    93E3AE95-B2A7-4AF0-9032-908732CD3B06.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 488
Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
https://imgur.com/a/eK8qN

Absolutely love mine! The thing that struck me was the balance point. 19 5/8
I’d never much considered it before. Now it’s the first thing l notice when trying
A new cue

Balance point is always one of the first things I check when looking at a cue. A properly balanced cue IS the difference, IMO. If a cue is balanced right, even a slight weight preference can be overlooked as far as I am concerned. The improper balance of a cue, can be detrimental to your stroke, regardless of the weight, IMO. :)
Just spitting out some thoughts. Eric does build a gorgeous cue, and he is always trying to improve his knowledge of cue building. He is however, slower than snails. :wink: But a decent guy nonetheless.
j2

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balance point is always one of the first things I check when looking at a cue. A properly balanced cue IS the difference, IMO. If a cue is balanced right, even a slight weight preference can be overlooked as far as I am concerned. The improper balance of a cue, can be detrimental to your stroke, regardless of the weight, IMO. :)
Just spitting out some thoughts. Eric does build a gorgeous cue, and he is always trying to improve his knowledge of cue building. He is however, slower than snails. :wink: But a decent guy nonetheless.
j2

Where a cue should be balanced is based upon each individual player. One set balance point isn't suitable for everyone.

I think the cue should be balanced so that the balancing point is midway (or somewhere near, based upon feel) between your bridge hand and your gripping hand when you are down in your normal shooting position. Some people have a 10 inch bridge and hold the cue in the center of the wrap. Other people hold the cue at the very butt and have a 20 inch bridge.

Last edited:

j2pac

Marital Slow Learner.
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Where a cue should be balanced is based upon each individual player. One set balance point isn't suitable for everyone.

I think the cue should be balanced so that the balancing point is midway (or somewhere near, based upon feel) between your bridge hand and your gripping hand when you are down in your normal shooting position. Some people have a 10 inch bridge and hold the cue in the center of the wrap. Other people hold the cue at the very butt and have a 20 inch bridge.

Yes, and no, IMO. A cue with extreme weight to one side of the horizon or the other, can effect stroke IMO, regardless. Obviously different players prefer many different variables in a cue. My own example...I know given my "feel" preference, that I prefer a cue balanced at about 19 to 19.5 inches from the butt end of the cue. That is, over the years, what I have determined "feels" best to me. In turn, that translates into a mental thing, and so on, and so forth. I think we are in part, on the same page. :cool:

wagdad

Yup, I'm that Guy.
Silver Member
I know this is a old thread. But I have spoke with Eric many many times in the last year. I too am a SugarTree cue owner. I can tell all questioners when it comes to hit being consistent, no one has mentioned the reason cues have different "hits" or "feels". I'm leaving the shaft portion of the cue out of this equation, to many variables. Its the combination of woods or the "type" of cue made. Example: 2 cues, same weight, same length, same taper. But 1 cue is ebony nose with a wenge handle. Cue 2 is straight grain maple with purple heart handle. The 2 cues wont "hit" the same because of different woods grain and densities regardless that they are identical specs. By "type" I mean pointed cues vs. merry widow or full splice. Eric has a deep knowledge of cue making, and wood selection. He does lumber most of, if not all of his cues woods. He hasn't completely retired yet, but getting a cue will take awhile now! He's enjoying time with his family these days. Super nice man in my opinion. Good luck to all perspective ST buyers and enjoy to all ST owners!

Attachments

• 20201123_023755.jpg
    20201123_023755.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 128