Former straight pool champions react to news of John Schmidt's 626

xradarx

Tell it like it is
Silver Member
Why don't all of you so called believers, just quit trying to guilt trip those of us who don't accept it. Prove your support in real time and just send your support and money directly to JS so he doesn't have to sell his video as proof. Others were supportive during this adventure in his attempt to advance a long standing record. Don't expect us to provide for his chosen lifestyle so he doesn't have to work now or in the future. Also be very wary of those mongooses, no telling where they may be on this great flat earth.

JoeJester

Registered
My thoughts on the topic ...

First and foremost, I think it's great that he ran 626 balls. It's good for pool and it might spark some interest back into the game.

I've not found any rules concerning "Non-competitor" 14.1 contests or exhibitions.

It's been four months an nary a word from BCA on the video.

I've talked to others and yes, there are ways to have a tournament using non-competitor 14.1 high runs. I don't know what kind of interest that would generate, but, a $$ per ball for the highest run certainly could spark curiosity.

The buzz about the game has quieted down since the announcement. There could be a second buss once the video is released.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My thoughts on the topic ...

First and foremost, I think it's great that he ran 626 balls. It's good for pool and it might spark some interest back into the game.

I've not found any rules concerning "Non-competitor" 14.1 contests or exhibitions.

It's been four months an nary a word from BCA on the video.

I've talked to others and yes, there are ways to have a tournament using non-competitor 14.1 high runs. I don't know what kind of interest that would generate, but, a $$ per ball for the highest run certainly could spark curiosity.

The buzz about the game has quieted down since the announcement. There could be a second buss once the video is released.
Ummmm....

The BCA issued a press release after they viewed the full, raw video of the run. In that press release they recognized the run as the new record.

There was a 14.1 high run contest at Derby City for 13 years. Perhaps you overlooked it. The record there, on tight Diamonds, was 285. Here is that run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZo5doH0F2o
Filler got a total of $4100 from that edition of the event. The total money added to the event in 2019 was $21,000 and the total payout was $28,300.

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Gold Member
Silver Member
Ummmm....

The BCA issued a press release after they viewed the full, raw video of the run. In that press release they recognized the run as the new record.

There was a 14.1 high run contest at Derby City for 13 years. Perhaps you overlooked it. The record there, on tight Diamonds, was 285. Here is that run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZo5doH0F2o
Filler got a total of $4100 from that edition of the event. The total money added to the event in 2019 was $21,000 and the total payout was $28,300.

Nice, substantive and responsive post.
I tried to give you some rep, but need to spread some around first. :thumbup: :thumbup:

Will Prout

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not sure why anybody doubts John Schmidt got to 626 now. He got to 400 multiple times on video and he was on a mission. He kept a positive attitude and didn't get discouraged when he missed and ended a big run.

Great accomplishment.

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
John's impending worldwide availability of his 626 video

Latest update regarding John's impending worldwide availability of his 626 video. I messaged John today expressing that "I greatly look forward to the eventual 626 video release and hope you do include voiceover commentary throughout. Like most other 14.1 aficionados who own and benefit from all your previous DVDs, I quickly concluded early-on that you're a natural-born teacher."

I really appreciated John's very prompt reply:

--------------------------------------------------------------

"I'm currently working on matching up the voice over I did with the video, and I'm in negotiation with a pay-per-view option. I'm thinking in October. Take care pal."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Arnaldo