Full Size Metal Lathe Recommendation

Oofgeni_Stalev

I'm looking to buy a metal lathe for cue building.

- Does anybody have any recomendations on what metal lathe works best for cue building, or maybe a lathe for sale?
- What kind of modifications need to be made to a metal lathe? Escpecially to mount the router.
- Is a CNC a must have or just nice to have machine for cue building?

I am a complete beginner and have been doing simple repairs, like ferrule/tenon replacements, tips, collars, etc. on a repair lathe (Cue Companion, by Unique Products) and would truly like to take on cue building on some serious equipment. If there are any recommendations you can make on what kind of equipment to buy, I would truly appreciate it. I am doing this primarily as a hobby.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
PM Machinery 13 by 40 lathe.
Deco cues/ Tom Hassos taper bars.
Deco Cues router mount.
Google them or join cue makers group at FB

Oofgeni_Stalev

PM Machinery 13 by 40 lathe.
Deco cues/ Tom Hassos taper bars.
Deco Cues router mount.
Google them or join cue makers group at FB
I did the research and it looks like I'll have to stick with a cue lathe since room is limited

Do you know anything about the MidAmerica cue lathe with the large bore headstock? I'm looking to grab that one with the router mount and power feed. Any other upgrades recommended for this lathe?

dendweller

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I did the research and it looks like I'll have to stick with a cue lathe since room is limited

Do you know anything about the MidAmerica cue lathe with the large bore headstock? I'm looking to grab that one with the router mount and power feed. Any other upgrades recommended for this lathe?
It's a nice lathe, won't allow setting up tapers for shafts though. Then again, you can always start out with tapered shaft blanks.

slim123

It's a nice lathe, won't allow setting up tapers for shafts though. Then again, you can always start out with tapered shaft blanks.
You can taper shafts aand butts on that lathe You just need to offset the tailstock I've made complete cues on theses.lathes

dendweller

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
You can taper shafts aand butts on that lathe You just need to offset the tailstock I've made complete cues on theses.lathes
editted, I think we're talking about two different things, you can certainly taper a shaft manually, but without taper bars, or steppers, you can't set it up.

Last edited:

DeeDeeCues

One could easily argue that cnc is not only not necessary, but inadvisable for cue making processes other than inlaying.

That said, I will fully admit that I am in the process of converting the cut machine I designed and made to cnc. I'm mostly doing this to learn more about cnc.

Oofgeni_Stalev

Just put in an order for MidAmerica Lathe with large bore headstock with the router mount. I understand tapering shafts on this is difficult, so I am getting different machinery for that.

- Would someone please list recommendations for add-ons and modifications to grab for cue making?
- What kind of drill/router bits, cutters, boring tools are a must have?

Been doing simple repair work for the past 5 months and I am looking to get into cue making. Any help would be appreciated.

GBCues

Damn, still .002 TIR!
Gold Member
Silver Member
One could easily argue that cnc is not only not necessary, but inadvisable for cue making processes other than inlaying.

That said, I will fully admit that I am in the process of converting the cut machine I designed and made to cnc. I'm mostly doing this to learn more about cnc.
I have to disagree. Once you learn to make simple tapers using a CNC tapering rig, you can then modify the GCode to make any taper and any length of pro-taper that you want. Save that GCode and it's there to come back to time and time again. Also, CNC can give you more repeatable results than hand shaping.
Gary

DeeDeeCues

I have to disagree. Once you learn to make simple tapers using a CNC tapering rig, you can then modify the GCode to make any taper and any length of pro-taper that you want. Save that GCode and it's there to come back to time and time again. Also, CNC can give you more repeatable results than hand shaping.
Gary

I never said anything about hand shaping and wouldn't recommend it as a standard.

Oofgeni_Stalev

Just put in an order for MidAmerica Lathe with large bore headstock with the router mount. I understand tapering shafts on this is difficult, so I am getting different machinery for that.

- Would someone please list recommendations for add-ons and modifications to grab for cue making?
- What kind of drill/router bits, cutters, boring tools are a must have?

Been doing simple repair work for the past 5 months and I am looking to get into cue making. Any help would be appreciated.
soooo any recommendations on my above post??

dendweller

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
If you want to get some ideas you might look around at accessories on midAmerica and Cueman Billiards.

Far as a lathe goes, midAmerica is a nice lathe but there are no taper bars or cnc so no way to set up a repeatable shaft taper. Cueman has a turnkey solution that has taper bars and a leadscrew instead of a gear rack if you want to pay for it.

Unique products has all the machines you need including cnc etc. You've probably seen that site given that's who made your repair lathe.

All depends on where you want to start and how much you want to spend.

DeeDeeCues

I guess I might say it differently:

It sounds a lot like you want to build cues, but have an idea that you can just buy the ability to build cues by buying a machine. You can't. You could look at the famous videos, but then you are building someone else's cues.

Find your voice.

Oofgeni_Stalev

I guess I might say it differently:

It sounds a lot like you want to build cues, but have an idea that you can just buy the ability to build cues by buying a machine. You can't. You could look at the famous videos, but then you are building someone else's cues.

Find your voice.
I don't think I can "buy the ability" but I understand I can't just build cues without certain equipment. It's going to be a lot of trial and error, this I understand. I'd just like some advice on where to start in terms of equipment. I've already put the order in on the MidAmerica. Just looking for recommendations based on you're own experiences. It's great to learn off of your own mistakes, but it's also good to learn off of other peoples mistakes.

I have experience working on a watchmakers/jewelers lathe. My father taught me, as he is an experienced watchmaker thats worked for quality companies like Tiffany's and Cartier. But these lathes are very different and a fraction of the size of cue lathes.

dendweller

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I don't think I can "buy the ability" but I understand I can't just build cues without certain equipment. It's going to be a lot of trial and error, this I understand. I'd just like some advice on where to start in terms of equipment. I've already put the order in on the MidAmerica. Just looking for recommendations based on you're own experiences. It's great to learn off of your own mistakes, but it's also good to learn off of other peoples mistakes.

I have experience working on a watchmakers/jewelers lathe. My father taught me, as he is an experienced watchmaker thats worked for quality companies like Tiffany's and Cartier. But these lathes are very different and a fraction of the size of cue lathes.
If you're looking for something to do while you wait for that lathe maybe you could decide what joint pin you're planning on using. Then you can figure out what taps and drill bits you need. If you're going to use weight, that's another drill bit and tap, probably long ones. I don't build cues, I work on my own stuff and it's amazing how much stuff I've bought and I stick to one joint pin and one type of weight.
If you're going to want to use thread on ferrules you'll need a compression die and a tap for that.

And given you're going to be waiting you can order a lot of this stuff from cuefits on ebay, takes a while to get from china but it's a pretty inexpensive way to get them, and you have the time.

Oofgeni_Stalev

If you're looking for something to do while you wait for that lathe maybe you could decide what joint pin you're planning on using. Then you can figure out what taps and drill bits you need. If you're going to use weight, that's another drill bit and tap, probably long ones. I don't build cues, I work on my own stuff and it's amazing how much stuff I've bought and I stick to one joint pin and one type of weight.
If you're going to want to use thread on ferrules you'll need a compression die and a tap for that.

And given you're going to be waiting you can order a lot of this stuff from cuefits on ebay, takes a while to get from china but it's a pretty inexpensive way to get them, and you have the time.
Finally an answer. Thank you!