Option 3? Forget it.
That is an excellent critique on option 3. I've been playing 50 years and I cant remember anyone choosing option 3 in that situation. It is a WEI table option only. If I am not playing a tournament match, and am playing for small stakes, I actually do like shooting option 1, dead straight back, 100mph. Center ball no english and no cut, dead on. However, I do have a handle on that particular shot and hit that better than the slow roll option 2. But if you miss, you are a big favorite to lose on the next shot. The upside is that you were in a difficult position to start with. For the hard cheese tho, I exercise discipline and roll the bank back under me, ala option 2. If I hit it well my opponent will become the player in the difficult position. A little helper I add to the shot, is right hand english, which helps to kill the cue ball near the short rail. Actually, my emphasis is on keeping the cue ball very close to the rail, more so than making the bank. Executed correctly, your opponent will have a four railer only.
Beard
There are 2 big problems with this option:
1. To hit the shot hard enough to make the object ball cross-corner, you will never be able to keep the cueball near the end rail. If you can keep it above the middle diamond you've hit it well.
2. It is a tough hit to make, and if you miss hit it on the thin side there is the possibility of a scratch in the top corner.
Now, if you are just crossing it with no intention of making the object ball, but mainly to play the cue ball up to the end rail as a safety shot, then I believe it is a viable option.
That is an excellent critique on option 3. I've been playing 50 years and I cant remember anyone choosing option 3 in that situation. It is a WEI table option only. If I am not playing a tournament match, and am playing for small stakes, I actually do like shooting option 1, dead straight back, 100mph. Center ball no english and no cut, dead on. However, I do have a handle on that particular shot and hit that better than the slow roll option 2. But if you miss, you are a big favorite to lose on the next shot. The upside is that you were in a difficult position to start with. For the hard cheese tho, I exercise discipline and roll the bank back under me, ala option 2. If I hit it well my opponent will become the player in the difficult position. A little helper I add to the shot, is right hand english, which helps to kill the cue ball near the short rail. Actually, my emphasis is on keeping the cue ball very close to the rail, more so than making the bank. Executed correctly, your opponent will have a four railer only.
Beard