Game ending bank shot.. What do you do??

MOJOE

Work Hard, Be Humble. jbk
Silver Member
This is a question for the bank players and I just like to know how you shoot this shot. If it's hill, hill, which option do you go with?

An obvious concern is selling out so that needs to be a consideration when you choose. Maybe you play it different than either option.

My friend (Worminator) and I both like the option where you bring the ball back to the pocket you are shooting from because if you miss, there is a slimmer chance of leaving a good bank for your opponent.

I was watching a youtube match with Jason Miller vs. Ike Runnels and Jason fired the ball in, stopping the CB dead it it's tracks like the first shot. I have practiced this version and am lucky to hit 25% of these, when I miss, the object ball almost always sets up for an easy bank for my opponent. What do you do?

I'd love to hear from Jay, Freddie etc.. or anyone else that plays a lot of bank pool.

Peace, Joe

CueTable Help



CueTable Help

 
Last edited:
I'm not a bank pool player, but I'll give my thoughts anyway.

Why wouldn't you just choose option one and maximize your chances to make the bank? I understand your point about selling out, but are you significantly less likely to sell out on option two compared to option one? Not exactly sure, but I doubt it. All I know is that I'm probably 3-4x more likely to make the bank on option one than option two.
 
I hit it firm, dead on the nose and play it to the opposite pocket. I don't try to stop the cue ball though. I hit it with follow, no side spin. Back under you might be the correct shot for some, but I'll make my shot a higher percentage of the time. With it being the game winning ball, I'm shooting to win without much thought of leaving a return shot.
 
I hit it firm, dead on the nose and play it to the opposite pocket. I don't try to stop the cue ball though. I hit it with follow, no side spin. Back under you might be the correct shot for some, but I'll make my shot a higher percentage of the time. With it being the game winning ball, I'm shooting to win without much thought of leaving a return shot.

I'll try it your way.. I've actually not tried it without english, thanks. These are the types of responses I'm looking for. Thanks
 
I hit it firm, dead on the nose and play it to the opposite pocket. I don't try to stop the cue ball though. I hit it with follow, no side spin. Back under you might be the correct shot for some, but I'll make my shot a higher percentage of the time. With it being the game winning ball, I'm shooting to win

Let's say you have battled through a tough game of safeties (very common for a game of banks) to get to the case ball. At that point you prefer to take a flyer "without much thought of leaving a return shot"?

If that is the way you choose to shoot this shot in a hill hill bank match I would love to play you some... :wink: Oh wait... you're from KY... maybe not!

I don't know many people, if any, who can make that bank more than 50% of the time with the cueball that deep in the pocket, especially on a tight Diamond table.

My choice is always option 2. It is not a tough hit, and it has a built-in safety. The result should look like this if you miss:

CueTable Help

 
Last edited:
This is a question for the bank players and I just like to know how you shoot this shot. If it's hill, hill, which option do you go with?

An obvious concern is selling out so that needs to be a consideration when you choose. Maybe you play it different than either option.

My friend (Worminator) and I both like the option where you bring the ball back to the pocket you are shooting from because if you miss, there is a slimmer chance of leaving a good bank for your opponent.

I was watching a youtube match with Jason Miller vs. Ike Runnels and Jason fired the ball in, stopping the CB dead it it's tracks like the first shot. I have practiced this version and am lucky to hit 25% of these, when I miss, the object ball almost always sets up for an easy bank for my opponent. What do you do?

I'd love to hear from Jay, Freddie etc.. or anyone else that plays a lot of bank pool.

Peace, Joe

CueTable Help



CueTable Help



You have to understand you're talking about Jason Miller here, not just any Bank Pool player. This is a guy who feels like he can make this shot, so why not fire at it and win the game. Most everyone else is not in his class or even close. I used to play pretty good banks, but I'm ducking all the way on this shot. I want to bank the object ball back up table and leave my opponent on the opposite end rail. Let him shoot off the end rail, and maybe leave me something juicy to shoot at. That shot you diagramed sure isn't it.

P.S. If you slow roll this bank, you have zero chance of making it. It must be hit stiff and with the cue ball buried like that you risk the double kiss as well. It's just too tricky for most of us to shoot at.
 
Last edited:
How about a two way shot? If the table will allow it play the cross bank and leave the cue on the end rail. If you miss short you will leave a tough shot with the object ball on the opposite end rail.

CueTable Help

 
How about a two way shot? If the table will allow it play the cross bank and leave the cue on the end rail. If you miss short you will leave a tough shot with the object ball on the opposite end rail.

CueTable Help


This is pretty much how I would take on this shot.
 
I hadn't played much bank pool, but junkyarddog's wei shot is one I often execute. Why wouldn't this be the best option? It's a great 2-way.
 
How about a two way shot? If the table will allow it play the cross bank and leave the cue on the end rail. If you miss short you will leave a tough shot with the object ball on the opposite end rail.

CueTable Help


Actually this is a good safety option as well.
 
How about a two way shot? If the table will allow it play the cross bank and leave the cue on the end rail. If you miss short you will leave a tough shot with the object ball on the opposite end rail.

CueTable Help


I like this shot as well.. I appreciate the input thus far!
 
Let's say you have battled through a tough game of safeties (very common for a game of banks) to get to the case ball. At that point you prefer to take a flyer "without much thought of leaving a return shot"?

If that is the way you choose to shoot this shot in a hill hill bank match I would love to play you some... :wink: Oh wait... you're from KY... maybe not!

I don't know many people, if any, who can make that bank more than 50% of the time with the cueball that deep in the pocket, especially on a tight Diamond table.

My choice is always option 2. It is not a tough hit, and it has a built-in safety. The result should look like this if you miss:

CueTable Help


Your shot probably is the right shot and will probably win more games, I'm still firing at the bank though:grin: If I'm going out, I'm going out swinging not ducking. As far as playing me some banks, That line has a long wait.:wink: I must be one of the friendliest people ever to gamble with because everywhere I go, People want to gamble with me.
 
How about a two way shot? If the table will allow it play the cross bank and leave the cue on the end rail. If you miss short you will leave a tough shot with the object ball on the opposite end rail.

CueTable Help


There are 2 big problems with this option:

1. To hit the shot hard enough to make the object ball cross-corner, you will never be able to keep the cueball near the end rail. If you can keep it above the middle diamond you've hit it well.

2. It is a tough hit to make, and if you miss hit it on the thin side there is the possibility of a scratch in the top corner.

Now, if you are just crossing it with no intention of making the object ball, but mainly to play the cue ball up to the end rail as a safety shot, then I believe it is a viable option.
 
There is a bit of a problem with the way cue table presents the shot. With the ball on the spot, the correct "natural bank" impact point on the cushion would be at 15.2 diamond units for the straightback, not the 13-14 as diagrammed. So, this is a very slight cross over as a true bank. However, since there would be about 5 degrees of cushion pushback, it can be played as a straight shot. Being so close to the cushion, I would forget about using any spin, you don't need it anyway.

I made it on the third try. I'm foolish enough to try and make it. If you get a solid hit, the cue ball won't go far.
 
For me of the three options presented here I think for the game ending bank that option 1 is a do or die and not really a high enough percentage shot for me or for most. Not an option that I would consider.

Option two would be my choice because it's not any more difficult than the other two options but has the highest chance of not leaving a return bank. And maybe getting a better opportunity next time.

The option that Junkyarddog suggests would be my second choice but in reality it's a very difficult shot and requires more speed on the object ball than what appears. I believe controlling the cue ball would be a big issue. This shot looks very workable on the wei table but not in the real world.
 
For me of the three options presented here I think for the game ending bank that option 1 is a do or die and not really a high enough percentage shot for me or for most. Not an option that I would consider.

Option two would be my choice because it's not any more difficult than the other two options but has the highest chance of not leaving a return bank. And maybe getting a better opportunity next time.

The option that Junkyarddog suggests would be my second choice but in reality it's a very difficult shot and requires more speed on the object ball than what appears. I believe controlling the cue ball would be a big issue. This shot looks very workable on the wei table but not in the real world.

If you hit the object ball a little fuller than needed and throw the ball in that will kill the speed of the cue enough to pull this off. I'll try and video later.
 
This is a question for the bank players and I just like to know how you shoot this shot. If it's hill, hill, which option do you go with?

An obvious concern is selling out so that needs to be a consideration when you choose. Maybe you play it different than either option.

My friend (Worminator) and I both like the option where you bring the ball back to the pocket you are shooting from because if you miss, there is a slimmer chance of leaving a good bank for your opponent.

I was watching a youtube match with Jason Miller vs. Ike Runnels and Jason fired the ball in, stopping the CB dead it it's tracks like the first shot. I have practiced this version and am lucky to hit 25% of these, when I miss, the object ball almost always sets up for an easy bank for my opponent. What do you do?

I'd love to hear from Jay, Freddie etc.. or anyone else that plays a lot of bank pool.

Peace, Joe

Well, I can't beat Jay, but I can bank a little.

First an observation - Jason, like out-of-town Brown, and many another
bank pool geniuses, tends to hit banks firm in general, based on the idea
they are much less likely to roll off or do other unpleasant things.

With that in mind:

option 1 - you are much more likely to make the bank if you hit it firm.

option 2 - face it - you are playing safe - having grown up in the middle
of bank pool heaven, and having watched hundres of games played
by every level of player from world champs to local chumps, I have never
seen anybody play option 2 - IMHO it is at least 2 1/2 x times as hard to
make that bank as option 1<not that there is anything wrong with
ducking in this spot>. Also, most Bank players tend to minimize CB
movement as much as possible - with option 2, the white ball goes
on a tour of the foot end of the table.

FWIW - there is no right shot between these two choices. The good
news is, there isn't a wrong choice either - it is really a matter of
how you choose to play the game -
Shoot to win vs shoot to play again

Just to complicate things - I totally agree that trying to slo roll option 1
is begging to go broke - but I think you could use stun run thru on the CB
and roll the white ball to the foot rail while holding the OB "close"
to pocket speed.

Dale
 
Last edited:
Back
Top