GC 1 or GC 2? Slate or Brunstone?

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

I started this thread in another forum and it was suggested that this is a more appropriate location.

I am in the market for a used Gold Crown and stumbled across a GC 1 that is near to me. After scouring this forum I gathered that many GC1s came with "brunstone" rather than slate. The seller sent me this photo of the bed and it sure looks gray like slate but I was wondering if anyone can tell if this is brunstone or slate. Did any GC 1s come with actual slate? And based on the responses to my original post, might this actually be a GC2? Sticker on it says "Model AR-6100 series".

Many thanks in advance!

TJ

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great, thanks for that clarification. I'm headed over to look at the disassembled table on Thursday and ready to buy if all looks good.

From the earlier thread I think you mentioned, RKC, that Brunstone can be just fine. Are there any issues that may be deal killers that a novice like me could identify? I'll certainly look at the "slates" but are there things that I should specifically look for? I'm getting a good price so some repair/rehab would still be within my budget.

Thanks again!

tjohnson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RKC, thanks for the tip. All serial numbers matched, and the table appeared to be in really good shape. Only visible flaw in the Brunstone was a previously acknowledged break: a small triangular piece was broken off. The mating surfaces of the break are perfectly clean and the piece fits together well enough that the crack is barely visible. Previous owner just had this piece bondo-ed in, and he said that worked fine, but I think I'll get this glued together when I get the table leveled and new cloth put on. Cushions were replaced in 2008 so those might be reuseable. All in all a nice looking GC 1 for $500. This forum was a great help and many thanks RKC for your input.