GC IV questions

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My pocket liners are flush with my castings but the castings stick up a little and was wondering if this can be adjusted? Can I remove the pocket liners and then loosen the casting bolts to play around with this without affecting the rails in anyway. Also on one side of the table it looks like the point of the side pockets are not aligned which is not allowing a ball frozen to the cushion to roll past the side pocket without contacting point of side pocket, is this something I can adjust by loosening rail bolts, if so, how? Last question .. what is torque specs for rail bolts? Thanks!

gazman100

Brunswick Gold Crowns - Qld Australia
Silver Member
RKC did a post on how to adjust the pocket castings with a screw method.
Regarding the side rails not aligning properly, the rails have a lot of movement in them for adjustment. Almost every table I dissemble the tables have not been installed correctly especially the side rails.
Go to one end of the table and bend down so your eyes line up with the rail and just do a visual to see how straight or bent the rails are to each other. Also use a long straight edge up against the rubbers on the side rail if there out you'll see it .
Let us know how you get on.:D

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
RKC did a post on how to adjust the pocket castings with a screw method.
Regarding the side rails not aligning properly, the rails have a lot of movement in them for adjustment. Almost every table I dissemble the tables have not been installed correctly especially the side rails.
Go to one end of the table and bend down so your eyes line up with the rail and just do a visual to see how straight or bent the rails are to each other. Also use a long straight edge up against the rubbers on the side rail if there out you'll see it .
Let us know how you get on.:D
Anyone have a link to RKC’s post on pocket castings? Thanks again!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone have a link to RKC’s post on pocket castings? Thanks again!
I believe RKC's post was for Gold Crown I's, which were not designed to have the castings sit flush with the rails like the Gold Crown IV was. No harm in loosening the casting bolts to see if you can adjust them.

As for the side pocket opening, are you sure it isn't a problem with the fold of the cloth being poor which is causing the point of the cushion to appear to protrude? If the fold was not done properly, you'll have an excess of material there and it will prevent a ball from passing. Who covered the rails? Sounds like they need to come back or you need to hire someone who knows what they are doing. That someone may even be able to install the castings properly.

Pics would help to determine the cause.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe RKC's post was for Gold Crown I's, which were not designed to have the castings sit flush with the rails like the Gold Crown IV was. No harm in loosening the casting bolts to see if you can adjust them.

As for the side pocket opening, are you sure it isn't a problem with the fold of the cloth being poor which is causing the point of the cushion to appear to protrude? If the fold was not done properly, you'll have an excess of material there and it will prevent a ball from passing. Who covered the rails? Sounds like they need to come back or you need to hire someone who knows what they are doing. That someone may even be able to install the castings properly.

Pics would help to determine the cause.
Thanks for responding, it’s not the fold in the cloth, it’s the alignment of the rails for sure. I’ll have to play around with it when I get time. I do a lot of work with tools, just not on a pool table. I also have a “ball return” table so I’ll have to see how to loosen the gulleys, align the rails and retighten the rail bolts

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for responding, it’s not the fold in the cloth, it’s the alignment of the rails for sure. I’ll have to play around with it when I get time. I do a lot of work with tools, just not on a pool table. I also have a “ball return” table so I’ll have to see how to loosen the gulleys, align the rails and retighten the rail bolts
One way to double check is with a 48" straight edge. If the rails were misaligned, there would be gaps at the corner and/or side pocket castings where the rail and casting meet.

Who put the table together?

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One way to double check is with a 48" straight edge. If the rails were misaligned, there would be gaps at the corner and/or side pocket castings where the rail and casting meet.

Who put the table together?
I used a 48” level and there is a gap. The table came out of a Steve Mizerak senior tournament. Brand new at the time except for the tournament play. I think I got it in 2003 or 2004. Put together by a local mechanic in central Illinois

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I used a 48” level and there is a gap. The table came out of a Steve Mizerak senior tournament. Brand new at the time except for the tournament play. I think I got it in 2003 or 2004. Put together by a local mechanic in central Illinois
You've lived with the imperfections for 20 years?

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You've lived with the imperfections for 20 years?
Yeah it’s not bad, the castings don’t affect play and the rail alignment has only happened lately. Not sure if a rail bolt was not at spec and a rowdy party caused some bumping of the table or what. I had the table in climate controlled storage for about 10 years and had it setup when I built my new home

follownoone

Registered
I have a GC IV and my pocket castings are high also. When I redid the cloth and rubber recently the table tech and myself were able to make them closer to flush but still not where I think they should be. Researching in the past has led me to believe it is a common problem. If you are able to get them flush I believe they will stick up in the back by the trim. That would be less noticeable. BTW - I once cut my hand dragging across the point of the casting coming off of a shot.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a GC IV and my pocket castings are high also. When I redid the cloth and rubber recently the table tech and myself were able to make them closer to flush but still not where I think they should be. Researching in the past has led me to believe it is a common problem. If you are able to get them flush I believe they will stick up in the back by the trim. That would be less noticeable. BTW - I once cut my hand dragging across the point of the casting coming off of a shot.
Yeah it seems like you’d have to hold the back down and then bend the front down too. I know I’d probably break something 🙂

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Remove some of the wood the casting overlaps, that'll allow the castings to sit lower.
Just hope the castings themselves have a little wiggle room. I haven't removed them yet but if they attach to the rails with a bolt going through a "hole" and not a "slot" it would seem that no matter how much wood I removed the castings would go no lower than what the hole would allow. If that's the case I could elongate the casting holes vertically, as in a vertical slot which would allow some up and down movement.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Just hope the castings themselves have a little wiggle room. I haven't removed them yet but if they attach to the rails with a bolt going through a "hole" and not a "slot" it would seem that no matter how much wood I removed the castings would go no lower than what the hole would allow. If that's the case I could elongate the casting holes vertically, as in a vertical slot which would allow some up and down movement.
I wouldn't have suggested it if I haven't done it myself already😉