George Brandt...

thekid77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Any old schoolers out there ever heard of him? The gentleman that taught me the fundamentals said he learned from a man named George Brandt in the late '60's, who was originally from Pennsylvania, then later moved out to California and opened up a pool hall in the Los Angeles area. George was a childhood friend of Mosconi's. Mosconi would come and do exhibitions in George's pool hall...

if anyone out there can help me with this, it is greatly appreciated. thanks guys....I'm looking for my teacher's teacher :)

crav'in action

Registered
I knew George Brundt from Bradenton, Fl. that played the tour for quite a few years. He passed away a couple of years ago, I'm sorry to say.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
thekid77 said:
Any old schoolers out there ever heard of him? The gentleman that taught me the fundamentals said he learned from a man named George Brandt in the late '60's, who was originally from Pennsylvania, then later moved out to California and opened up a pool hall in the Los Angeles area. George was a childhood friend of Mosconi's. Mosconi would come and do exhibitions in George's pool hall...

if anyone out there can help me with this, it is greatly appreciated. thanks guys....I'm looking for my teacher's teacher :)

I knew George Brandt. I believe he was a bodyguard and driver for several Hollywood Celebs. He may have owned the pool room on Pico Blvd. I'm not certain but I used to see him in there and Ye Billiard Den and Celebrity Billiards. He was friends with Fred Whalen as well and would help him at his big tourneys in the early 70's.

I know he liked to play Straight Pool, but I didn't know him to be a gambler. He and Willie were buddies. He stayed close to his side when Willie was in town.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
crav'in action said:
I knew George Brundt from Bradenton, Fl. that played the tour for quite a few years. He passed away a couple of years ago, I'm sorry to say.
The first time I ever saw Earl go completely off was playing George Brundt from Florida. They had booked the race to 11 that George wouln't nine. EVERYONE bet on it. When George hit nine to nine on a miss from Earl, the place erupted. AND SO DID EARL.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
crawfish said:
The first time I ever saw Earl go completely off was playing George Brundt from Florida. They had booked the race to 11 that George wouln't nine. EVERYONE bet on it. When George hit nine to nine on a miss from Earl, the place erupted. AND SO DID EARL.

George Brunt was a helluva player in case anyone didn't know. He would bet it up with ANYONE! Like so many others, he got fed up with the small money in pool and became a poker player many years ago. He made himself into a top flight Pot Limit player and made beaucoup bucks. He sat for too many hours though and got big as a whale. His heart gave out on him a couple of years ago. A super good guy!

jamesroberts

"Unheralded Amateur"
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
George Brunt was a helluva player in case anyone didn't know. He would bet it up with ANYONE! Like so many others, he got fed up with the small money in pool and became a poker player many years ago. He made himself into a top flight Pot Limit player and made beaucoup bucks. He sat for too many hours though and got big as a whale. His heart gave out on him a couple of years ago. A super good guy!

sorry to hear this... i remember he used to play in the weekly tournament at tr's place in tampa....he was really really great guy, I was like 10 or 11 at the time and i would draw him every week..... he would always let me win a game or 2

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hows the spelling

I remember George brundt who played billiards and pool. this was in the 70's at a place in Rockford Ill. When bob Mecc. was selling cues with trquise for 500. Jimmey reid was there, Willie Munson, Jimmy Rempe, Mike Sigel, the money games were 4 handed. And their women handled the cash! mark

HollyWood

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hows the spelling

I remember George brundt who played billiards and pool. this was in the 70's at a place in Rockford Ill. When bob Mecc. was selling cues with trquise for 500. Jimmey reid was there, Willie Munson, Jimmy Rempe, Mike Sigel, the money games were 4 handed. And their women handled the cash! mark