Go fund me for Dr. Dave.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watching this video makes me sad. Here we have the good Dr. showing off all his cool gear. Now, sadly in the background he has his stereo. We see the Doc has been around college students far too long. No speaker stands, no shelves for his receiver. I'm not the most tech savvy so maybe someone else can help set it up. He's retired now and probably just getting those S.S. checks😂
Should we help him out?

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
Sometimes you just find speakers that you like. I have some that sure aren't lookers, but they do sound great for pool.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 old sansui floor speakers with 15", 8", 6.5", and horn tweeters from '81ish collecting dust. Pioneer sx1250 for power. Shame I haven't got the basement set up yet😞 Dave you need some boom!

Banger

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Compared to me, Dr. Dave is choppin' high cotton. I don't have a "stereo" of any type in my pool room. Or anywhere in the house, for that matter. I guess maybe I could use my phone, but I don't have any music on it.

"No bar, no pinball machines, no bowling alleys, no music, just pool... nothing else. This is Banger's mister."

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don’t think he is old enough to be drawing SS. He’s obviously taking good care of himself…as for the speakers, well I think his priorities are in the right place.

You guys reminded me that I need to get my vintage Pioneer equipment serviced and get my old JBL L-100s out here in the pool room. Right now I’m just using a little Bose box, it’s okay, but not good by any stretch.

Edit: Dr. Dave what is your secret to good health? I’m going to guess that you are a runner, or cyclist? You are doing great, whatever it is.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
I have my vintage 1969 KLH Model 5's propped up on individual IKEA Kallax boxes in my homeroom - cheap "floor stands" but get the job done (and double as storage to boot). Powered by a Pioneer SX 828 and Technics SL 1700.

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Dumb luck find on Craigslist. I bought both the Pioneer and KLH's for $50. The tweeters on the KLH's weren't working at the time, so I popped them open and they're stamped 1969. A simple recap on the crossover got everything working fine. That's my one and only "got this for a steal" story. Everything else (cues, stereos, vintage guitars / amps / effects) I feel like I pay 20% premium lol.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looking at the very fuzzy shaped logo on the speaker, I am guessing it's an AR, Acoustic Research speaker, pretty good brand. What one would expect of a geek that likes to research equipment :)

There is also what looks like a cigar box on top of the speaker, we should make sure he is getting the right quality cigar as well! Dr Dave, what's in the house?

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looking at the very fuzzy shaped logo on the speaker, I am guessing it's an AR, Acoustic Research speaker, pretty good brand. What one would expect of a geek that likes to research equipment :)

There is also what looks like a cigar box on top of the speaker, we should make sure he is getting the right quality cigar as well! Dr Dave, what's in the house?
Happiness was a pair of AR3a

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have 2 old sansui floor speakers with 15", 8", 6.5", and horn tweeters from '81ish collecting dust. Pioneer sx1250 for power. Shame I haven't got the basement set up yet😞 Dave you need some boom!
Those Pioneer SX1250 receivers are awesome. They bring more now on eBay than they did back when they were new.