Goal Setting

Blackjack

Illuminati Blacksmack
Silver Member
Excerpt from “The Growling Point”

Goals Setting

It’s one thing to want to be the best, and it is something completely different when you sit down and write out a pattern of attack and figure out how you are going to get there. Developing skills for competition and killer instinct is important, but without a map on how we plan to get where we want to go, our attempts can be futile. You can have all of the killer instinct available in the universe, but if you do not have an effective game plan, you’ll be off in the wind like a bullet without a target. If we turn that around, we can have an awesome plan of attack, but if we do not possess the ability or mindset to drive the stake through the heart of our competition, we can be perceived as passive.

Why must we have killer instinct? You need to possess the ability to take out your opponent quickly and effectively, and unmercifully. This can and will be developed slowly. First you need to learn how to win, then you can learn how not to lose. Then we can work on winning at will. By doing this, you can win games, matches and tournaments through simple observation of your opponents. You will learn how to detect weaknesses, and you will learn how to use those weaknesses against your opponent. This is where having an effective game plan comes into use. Phil Capelle and I both agree that many tournaments are not won by the “best” player. Most tournaments are won by the player that had the best game plan displayed the best adaptability to the competition, the equipment, and the surroundings. It might sound complicated, but over a period of time you will develop this into one of your major weapons. By learning these skills, you will not just be "showing up at a tournament" and hoping to play well. You will have a designed pattern of attack, and you will be able to show up and WIN, not just showing up.
As I explained , just showing up is not good enough. Lots of players show up at tournaments, but only a few show up to "WIN". At this link:

www.azbilliards.com

I have an article called "The Purpose of Practice". Read it. In there I explain that when we do not perform well, it is human nature to blame it on something external, such as the table, the rolls, the atmosphere, etc. It is usually always something internal that is the problem, but our egos get in the way and deflect the blame. Developing an effective practice routine is also necessary. Remember that if you have a disciplined practice routine, it will shine through your game. Discipline is a must. Merely tossing the balls out on the table, or just playing nine ball doesn't cut it. Practice can be broken down into four stages. Remember the words
Walt Disney World, or W-D-W. This stands for the following:

Warm-up
Drills
Weaknesses

You should first do warm up exercises where you can evaluate your stance, breathing, bridge, sighting and stroke. From there you can move on to drills, and then you work on weaknesses. During the warm up you can identify weakness areas in each of the categories of sighting, breathing, bridge, stance and stroke. It's one thing to miss a shot, and it is another thing to know why. It is extremely important to know EXACTLY why. This is why drills and warm ups are vitally important. You should practice them every day. As far as weaknesses go, you should work on the things that cost you games and matches in the recent competitions you were in. Those are the weaknesses that need to be turned into strengths. Every day you should add variety to your practices so that you do not get bored with it. Practice is NOT A ROUTINE. Routines end up being abandoned. That is explained in "The Purpose of Practice".

When I take on the responsibility of training a player, I like to go out to dinner and sit down and develop some short term, mid term and long term goals . For me to effectively work with any player, this is vital. If I am to help you get where you want to go, we both need to identify where you are now, where you want to go, and how you plan on getting there. That way we will both be on the same sheet of music. We will then be able to look at avenues of attack, all which will be designed in getting you moving towards the top level of pool. Do I believe that you can do it? That's not important. YOU have to believe that you can do it. As an instructor, if I don’t believe that you have the desire, the talent, and the determination to get where you want to go, I‘ll be honest with you and tell you. It's up to you to make your dream and accomplished fact in your mind. To do this, you need to have clear and concise, achievable goals. For homework, it is suggested that you do the following:
1. Come up with Three (3) short term goals, with the most important one at the top as described below :
(example only)
Short term 1 - Win Local 9 ball tournament
Short term 2 - Defeat player X in tournament X
Short term 3 - Improve my stroke from X to X

This is designed to do #3 first, then move on to number 2, and when that is accomplished (and only when it is accomplished) we move up the ladder to the next short term goal. Place time limits on the goals as well. This is very important. All short term goals should have a time limit of less than 3 - 6 months. We then look at our mid term goals, which have a time period of 6 months to one year. We then have our long term goals which are 1- 3 years. After we complete all of our short term goals, our mid term goals will become our short term goals, and our long term become our mid term goals. Before long, your long term goals of playing on the pro tour will be a short term goal. That is why DEVELOPING properly is very important. I don't want you to get up there and feel as if you have been thrown to the wolves. I want you to be prepared. Ultra-prepared. So come up with three short term, mid term and Long term goals. That is your homework. Also, for each goal, I want you to write a few pages about what price you would pay if you did not achieve that goal. After you do that, I want you write a few pages about what you would gain by achieving that goal. Do this for each goal. When you have done that, I want you to write a short action plan on how you plan to achieve each goal. The more specific you are in this area, the easier it will be to get out there and tackle the objective. Be clear, be specific. If you are vague in your approach, your efforts will come off as being half-assed, and to quote Fast Eddie Felson "If you go into this thing half-assed it won't be good for anybody, take the plunge Vincent...."

Also, something that is very important..... Keep a copy of these goals where you can see them every day. Don’t write them in a notebook and forget about them. Write about achieving them every day. Keep a notebook, a journal that chronicles your progress every single day. Being the best does not happen by accident. It's hard work. Work hard at it. The best way to keep your dreams alive and string is to keep them in front of you. Have those goals hanging on your bathroom mirror. They should be the first thing you think of in the morning and the last thing you think about at night. Keep them as your highest priority. When you get together with your coach/instructor, you can look at the goals and devise a plan of attack, and work towards getting them off the ground....but don’t wait for me or anyone else to jump start your motivation. Your goals should be challenging, yet realistic. Start achieving some short term goals now. I cannot design your goals, they are yours. Goals are dreams with a deadline. They are your goals, not mine. My goal as an instructor is simple, and that is to train you to reach your true full potential as a player. That's not easy either. It will be lots of work. You're going to hit bumps in the road and you will get discouraged. Most that will be self imposed, and it is my job to keep you motivated and keep you focused on the ultimate prize. Now be good and go do your homework.

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sage advice for the player that wants to topple Effren before he retires! You might respond, "If you want to get better, you have to spend time in the wood shed." Your post definitely brings to light what a player must be willing to do if he/she wants to really improve. Recreation players need not apply.

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Blackjack said:
Excerpt from “The Growling Point”

Goals Setting

Then we can work on winning at will. By doing this, you can win games, matches and tournaments through simple observation of your opponents. You will learn how to detect weaknesses, and you will learn how to use those weaknesses against your opponent. This is where having an effective game plan comes into use. Phil Capelle and I both agree that many tournaments are not won by the “best” player. Most tournaments are won by the player that had the best game plan displayed the best adaptability to the competition, the equipment, and the surroundings. www.azbilliards.com

As usual, David, there is no way I can absorb all that you say. You are simply out of my league.;)

I like the part you stated above. I beat someone in the last playoff in APA who was way better than me. I was lucky to size up his weakness (at least his weakness for that night) and placed the balls where he had to shoot his weakness over and over.

Also, since my defensive game is strong, I kept him getting out of them. This and also I have beaten other players who are used to playing a fast paced game to play a much slower game/match.

People disagreed with me. They said 'play the table, not the opponent'. This did not make sense to me because in other sports like football, they look at videos of their upcoming opponents so they will know their strengths and weaknesses. They can play to not let a certain player get a hold of the ball etc or get them off their pace.

At my level, the players I might conceivable play sl2-sl4, I watch this way. Higher level players, I watch to learn from them.

Since your post was about goal setting:

I practice my weaknesses the most, the shots I am weaker at.
Work a little on shape so that I can get better on that.

My general goal is by september to be a better shooter, be decent at shape, simple banks and to in general be better at pool.

I would like to be the equivalent of a skill level 4 by end of august and the equivalent of a sl 5 by sometime in 2004.

The reason I say equivalent is because sometimes one is shooting above the apa number so do not want to limit myself to the number that apa has put on me.

Drills- ball speed, cue ball control, and working on the easy to moderate difficulty shots on the table.

I guess it would be better to write all that stuff down but I have Target and Fargo to help me evaluate that.
Also the drills, 50%, then improve to 80% etc, which is my goal, 80% on all moderate level shots and easy banks

Laura

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laura,

What level of play does an S4 or S5 play at? Obviously you don't know what USPPA ratings mean and I don't know what (is it APA?) the rating system you're using means. Let me explain as best I can about the USSPA system:

25 and under - someone just starting out
35 to 50 - someone who can make 3 to 5 balls in a row
55 to 75 - you can run 5 to 7 balls fairly consistently, and know some safeties.
80 to 100 - if the 9-ball rack is open and no clusters or significant problems, you're supposed to run the rack
100 plus - you just keep getting better and better. The average pro is probably a 165 plus. The top pros are probably around 200, I guess (the air is pretty thin air up there so I'm not really sure).

Can you give me a brief description of your rating scheme? Thanks, Rick

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rickw said:
Laura,

What level of play does an S4 or S5 play at? Obviously you don't know what USPPA ratings mean and I don't know what (is it APA?) the rating system you're using means. Let me explain as best I can about the USSPA system:

25 and under - someone just starting out
35 to 50 - someone who can make 3 to 5 balls in a row
55 to 75 - you can run 5 to 7 balls fairly consistently, and know some safeties.
80 to 100 - if the 9-ball rack is open and no clusters or significant problems, you're supposed to run the rack
100 plus - you just keep getting better and better. The average pro is probably a 165 plus. The top pros are probably around 200, I guess (the air is pretty thin air up there so I'm not really sure).

Can you give me a brief description of your rating scheme? Thanks, Rick

Perhaps someone can do this better. a sl2 is just starting out. A sl3 can run three balls but not necessarily with consistency, knows almost no shape and almost no safes.
sl4 can fairly consistently run three balls. Ocasionally run 5 balls, knows some safety and some shape.
sl5 can run 5 balls and can run out but not consistently. They are getting decent at shape and safety but I have seen the safety skills vary from one player to the next.
sl6 can run out, very decent on shape and decent on shape.
sl7 highest level in apa, runs out quite a bit, very good on safety and shape.

This is just my opinion from our pool league, I do not know what it is nationwide.

I am still listed with apa as sl2. It is based on winning lost percentage and innings.Once a person has 20 matches, they essentially average the best ten. I have played 18 matches. I lost a bunch of my earlier games and my innings are high because I play safe a lot.

It is weird with apa. I am at a break for going sl3 based on the above. If my team were to want to keep me a sl2 until the playoffs, all they would have to do is not play me or play me against sl5-sl7, which even with the handicap advantage, I probably would not beat.

That is one reason I do not base my goals on sl of apa. It does give me experience with competing, which is good, regardless of how I am rated.

I can run three balls but do not do this with consistency. I do shape only a little bit and good at safety.

Lots to learn much more than I know.

Laura

Rickw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Laura,

At least you understand you have a long way to go. The good news is, you'll have a lot of fun getting to that pot of gold. Learning is so much fun in pool. When you do get better, you feel like you're on top of the world until someone comes along and knocks you down again. Some people you play even with now, you'll leave in the dust, some will leave you behind. You just have to keep your head down and keep trying. Never close your mind to new ideas either.

Handicapping in pool is really hard. One of the most frustrating things to deal with are the people who sandbag! They're in for the short haul. They don't see the big picture. They're only really hurting themselves and pissing other people off while they're doing it.

Here's to hoping you improve rapidly!!

Rick

Bluewolf

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks Rick!!!! Pool is by far the hardest game I ever played. Gosh I was good in Karate after two years. Pool is sure harder, but the challenge is fun.

Laura