Gold Crown 1 Nameplate Question

dodgerfan711

Hey everyone, I just bought a Gold Crown 1 and had it installed. The nameplate is missing, but the guy I bought it from had purchased a replacement from Classic Billiards. Oddly the original nameplate left behind some kind of hardened resin residue. Have you guys seen this before or have any ideas on cleaning it up so the new one will sit right in there? I was hesitant to put any sort of heat gun to it since the top rail laminate is obviously right there. My next thought was to try to chisel it out, but one slip and theres a big scratch in the cloth or the top rail.

Im having a hard time getting a picture of it to post. Keeps saying the file is too big. Trying to figure out how to resize it on an iphone 14.

Thanks in advance!

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey everyone, I just bought a Gold Crown 1 and had it installed. The nameplate is missing, but the guy I bought it from had purchased a replacement from Classic Billiards. Oddly the original nameplate left behind some kind of hardened resin residue. Have you guys seen this before or have any ideas on cleaning it up so the new one will sit right in there? I was hesitant to put any sort of heat gun to it since the top rail laminate is obviously right there. My next thought was to try to chisel it out, but one slip and theres a big scratch in the cloth or the top rail.

Im having a hard time getting a picture of it to post. Keeps saying the file is too big. Trying to figure out how to resize it on an iphone 14.

Thanks in advance!
I wouldn’t think it would be a problem if you have the correct tools and skills. If not and you truly care about your table as it sounds like you do, hire someone who does, as it sounds like a simple job for someone who has those skills.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks in advance!
Your table probably had the plastic nameplate originally as those left behind what you are describing when they were removed. If you have a router, you can route it out. If you go with a replacement metal nameplate, you'll have to remove the rail from the table to drill the holes in the rail to mount it.

dodgerfan711

Thanks for the replies guys. I do a lot of woodworking for a side gig, so I actually do have a router and feel pretty comfortable doing it myself. Don’t know why I didn’t think about using a router lol. Thanks again!

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks in advance!
Try taking a screenshot of the pic. The screenshot is usually a smaller file.

dodgerfan711

Your table probably had the plastic nameplate originally as those left behind what you are describing when they were removed. If you have a router, you can route it out. If you go with a replacement metal nameplate, you'll have to remove the rail from the table to drill the holes in the rail to mount it.
Try taking a screenshot of the pic. The screenshot is usually a smaller file.
Finally figured it out. Thanks guys! I think the router option is probably the best way to go

Attachments

• FEF93E9A-98D4-4E42-BDDF-9E1A810A91F1.jpeg
    FEF93E9A-98D4-4E42-BDDF-9E1A810A91F1.jpeg
    411.6 KB · Views: 63

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally figured it out. Thanks guys! I think the router option is probably the best way to go
It definitely had the plastic nameplate originally. Brunswick changed to the metal nameplate after a year or two into the Gold Crown I run due to the plastic being prone to cracking. As i mentioned earlier, if you are going to go with a metal nameplate, you'll have to remove the rails to drill the mounting holes and mount it. I do not believe anyone is reproducing the plastic nameplate.

Where are you located?

dodgerfan711

It definitely had the plastic nameplate originally. Brunswick changed to the metal nameplate after a year or two into the Gold Crown I run due to the plastic being prone to cracking. As i mentioned earlier, if you are going to go with a metal nameplate, you'll have to remove the rails to drill the mounting holes and mount it. I do not believe anyone is reproducing the plastic nameplate.

Where are you located?
Thanks for the info Rexus! Im very curious about the history of the table. Would be a safe bet, since it had the plastic nameplate, that it was made in the ‘61-‘63 range?

Im in the Columbus, OH area. The gentleman I bought the table from got a replacement nameplate from Ken at Classic Billiards, but it doesnt have mounting like you describe. It looks like it would mount a two part epoxy maybe?

Attachments

• 3E778115-4D52-4775-A3F4-9C8C16E19E8D.jpeg
    3E778115-4D52-4775-A3F4-9C8C16E19E8D.jpeg
    291.3 KB · Views: 51
  • E614D8EC-66AF-4BED-9090-8B7EA2E77B08.jpeg
    E614D8EC-66AF-4BED-9090-8B7EA2E77B08.jpeg
    262 KB · Views: 46

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info Rexus! Im very curious about the history of the table. Would be a safe bet, since it had the plastic nameplate, that it was made in the ‘61-‘63 range?

Im in the Columbus, OH area. The gentleman I bought the table from got a replacement nameplate from Ken at Classic Billiards, but it doesnt have mounting like you describe. It looks like it would mount a two part epoxy maybe?
Yes, '61-'63 would be the correct time frame for a plastic nameplate table. I've never seen Classic's repop nameplate up close. Thanks for sharing. It looks like they didn't do a faithful reproduction. Originals had threaded mounting bosses that protruded about 1" from the bottom that accepted screws from under the rail to mount it in place. Looks like you'll have to glue that one in place.

dodgerfan711

Yes, '61-'63 would be the correct time frame for a plastic nameplate table. I've never seen Classic's repop nameplate up close. Thanks for sharing. It looks like they didn't do a faithful reproduction. Originals had threaded mounting bosses that protruded about 1" from the bottom that accepted screws from under the rail to mount it in place. Looks like you'll have to glue that one in place.
No problem, the reproduction does look really nice imo, but I cant say i have ever seen an original to compare it to. Will be nice to get it on the table. The way the nameplate area looks now really bugs me LOL.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No problem, the reproduction does look really nice imo, but I cant say i have ever seen an original to compare it to. Will be nice to get it on the table. The way the nameplate area looks now really bugs me LOL.
It will most definitely be an improvement!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I restored my table I went through the painstaking process of repainting my original. Originally, they were painted a shade of pink but I was unable to find the correct shade so I went with Rose Gold. As a glutton for punishment, I did two more of these. One for my Gold Crown Cue Rack Restoration and one for a buddy who was restoring his table the same time I was.

Before:
48593142252_ab59331e2c_z.jpg

After:
48733358377_c0582fb23b_c.jpg

dodgerfan711

When I restored my table I went through the painstaking process of repainting my original. Originally, they were painted a shade of pink but I was unable to find the correct shade so I went with Rose Gold. As a glutton for punishment, I did two more of these. One for my Gold Crown Cue Rack Restoration and one for a buddy who was restoring his table the same time I was.

Before:
48593142252_ab59331e2c_z.jpg

After:
48733358377_c0582fb23b_c.jpg
Wow that looks amazing! I love the attention to detail and painting the crown inside the B gold. Do you have pics of the cue rack you did?

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow that looks amazing! I love the attention to detail and painting the crown inside the B gold. Do you have pics of the cue rack you did?
Here's a thread with some short video clips of all my Gold Crown related projects.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The man at Classic Billiards is full of useful information. He can help you with the small restoration information.

dodgerfan711

Here's a thread with some short video clips of all my Gold Crown related projects.

Absolutely amazing work!!

The man at Classic Billiards is full of useful information. He can help you with the small restoration information.
Thanks for the tip! Since it was purchased from him, Ill reach to him.

Mine is a little dirty but not bad for over 50 years of service.

View attachment 695318

Looks great! You can definitely tell the small differences between an original and the aftermarket one i have.