Gold crown 5 metal pocket fittings

antinul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just had my GC5 reinstalled after having to put it in storage for almost 3 years. I replaced the original rails with tournament rails and I'm pleased with the tighter pockets. What irks me is that (most of) the metal pocket fittings aren't flush with the rails, and are somewhat varied in how much they stick out. I've attached a couple pics. The first two are the same pocket from each side and the second two are a different pocket from each side. This was installed by a reputable company, and I think I should ask for them to come fix this. My question is: what is the fit supposed to be? I think they are supposed to be flush, at least that's what I seem to remember from the old rails 3 years ago.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 291
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 286
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 287
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 283

A-1 billiards

FELT WRIGHT
Silver Member
The earlier Gold Crown 5 rails had some variation in the recess depth of the poplar rail relative to the height of the formica.

The fix is very straightforward, remove the rails and castings and carefully sand the bare wood under the casting down the required amount to flush the casting. Take small amounts of wood off with each pass and dry fit the loose casting until you have the desired flush fit.

One word of caution, use a sharp utility knife to follow the edge between the bare wood and the formica rail cap. One slip with your sander and you'll permanently damage the formica. The edge (between the rail and formica) should be done with a sharp chisel after scoring with a utility knife. The main area can be done with a Mikita inch and half belt sander.

Take your time and you can flush the castings perfectly with the height of the finished rail.

Jay

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I would definitely have them come back and do something about that. Those are such gorgeous tables and the pockets not fitting right takes a lot away from the clean look. I would love to have a GCV to go with my GCII.

antinul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This was absolutely the problem. Thanks!

The earlier Gold Crown 5 rails had some variation in the recess depth of the poplar rail relative to the height of the formica.

The fix is very straightforward, remove the rails and castings and carefully sand the bare wood under the casting down the required amount to flush the casting. Take small amounts of wood off with each pass and dry fit the loose casting until you have the desired flush fit.

One word of caution, use a sharp utility knife to follow the edge between the bare wood and the formica rail cap. One slip with your sander and you'll permanently damage the formica. The edge (between the rail and formica) should be done with a sharp chisel after scoring with a utility knife. The main area can be done with a Mikita inch and half belt sander.

Take your time and you can flush the castings perfectly with the height of the finished rail.

Jay