Gold Crown Barn Find

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kinda like my standard Gold Crown I set-up: 5" corners, 5 1/2" sides. Plenty challenging for me, and still fun for the family. But, I get the concept of tightening up pockets, it's just not for me. I am more concerned with consistency of pockets around the table, and I have a bit of work to do on mine to get this right.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I kinda like my standard Gold Crown I set-up: 5" corners, 5 1/2" sides. Plenty challenging for me, and still fun for the family. But, I get the concept of tightening up pockets, it's just not for me. I am more concerned with consistency of pockets around the table, and I have a bit of work to do on mine to get this right.

If you can imagine Scott’s old table was 4”. B R U T A L

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow. That's tight.

I thought there was usually a 1/2" difference from corner to side; are the sizes you mention the "standard" diff for the tighter pockets?

I think you are right, 1/2" difference is standard. Not sure why this is not the case here.

On a side note: I will not make a side pocket tighter than 4 3/4" because any tighter just limits shots you can actually make in the side = changes the game to much.

Just my $0.02.

Trent from Toledo

The 1/2" thing doesn't work when you start tightening up the corners. In my instance, that would mean 4.625" side pockets which would be equivalent to having a 9' bar box. No thanks. Given the corners are tighter, 4.875" is a good compromise for the side pockets. As pocket pointed out, my old table had 4" pockets and 4 7/8" sides and it played great; tight but fair. I think the Gold Crown with its deeper shelf will play about the same at 4.125", 4.875"; tight but fair.

To each their own, I suppose. 5" & 5.5" is way too large for me and my family doesn't play. It's just my buddies and I. We can all play a little but give the cushions a fair amount of work too. Consistency is key which is why I hired one of the best mechanics in SoCal to do the work. I'm just looking forward to getting back to hitting balls on a regular basis.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which makes it even more amazing watching him run out 10 ball rack after rack after rack...

…...oh wait, that was that SVB guy, never mind.

LOL

Unreal. He hit 3-4 balls then asked if I wanted to Race to 10. Being hospitable, I gave him the break. Fast forward to rack 6 and my first shot was a kick from jail. Crazy how he could run a five pack on a very tight table he'd never played on before. Insult to injury, he plays a lock down safe when he got out of line with nothing on of line. Guess he respected my game that much...LMAO!

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To each their own, I suppose. 5" & 5.5" is way too large for me and my family doesn't play. It's just my buddies and I. We can all play a little but give the cushions a fair amount of work too. Consistency is key which is why I hired one of the best mechanics in SoCal to do the work. I'm just looking forward to getting back to hitting balls on a regular basis.

I get that. For me, it's a family table, friends and family, many (most?) who aren't "in to" pool, even though some may play occasionally. For my own play, while I am trying to improve in all aspects, I will probably never be good enough to enjoy playing o a table with tight pockets; and I think it would constrain me enjoyment of other aspects of the game, like long shots, cue ball control, and so on. So, while the table is not currently set up to my satisfaction, when it is it will have very consistent 5/5.5" pockets, consistent and correct facings, and good cushions. BTW, I'm amazed my apparently original cushions work so well. I would like to have a way to objectively evaluate them, maybe a durometer tester, or a ball ramp, stimpmeter-like device.

dd1228

Registered
Like I posted previously, I came upon a nice GC1 that a guy had stored in his garage for 30 years and just wanted someone to haul it away. So I got it free. With a little paint and buffing out all the aluminum till it sparkled. I have what looks like a brand new table. And it still has the original cushions and they are very lively. I really lucked out. I'd love to post pictures, but I can't figure out how!

jviss

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Like I posted previously, I came upon a nice GC1 that a guy had stored in his garage for 30 years and just wanted someone to haul it away. So I got it free. With a little paint and buffing out all the aluminum till it sparkled. I have what looks like a brand new table. And it still has the original cushions and they are very lively. I really lucked out. I'd love to post pictures, but I can't figure out how!

Lucky you! I'd love to see the pics. If you have a cloud location for the pics, you can paste a link after clicking on the pic icon. If you need help with this, send me a private message and I will help you.

pocket

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've taken to calling it my Gold Crown I parts kit.

Rexus was kind enough to come over this weekend and help me attach the skirts to the aprons.

Progress I suppose. But the waiting is killing me.

IMG_2438.jpg

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I've taken to calling it my Gold Crown I parts kit.

Rexus was kind enough to come over this weekend and help me attach the skirts to the aprons.

Progress I suppose. But the waiting is killing me.

View attachment 538964
You really should cut down the length of those extruded aluminum moulding hanger brackets, into 2 pieces per section, 3 pieces on the head rail skirt. Then they're much easier to mount as Brunswick found out and made the same change as well.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You really should cut down the length of those extruded aluminum moulding hanger brackets, into 2 pieces per section, 3 pieces on the head rail skirt. Then they're much easier to mount as Brunswick found out and made the same change as well.

Pocket, I'll bring my Sawzall over with a fresh blade. We should be able to knock it out without taking them off the aprons. We can use one of the scrap pieces to replace the one you painted.

dlvh

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Did you 2 fellows ever get these tables up and running yet? If so, I'd like to see the pictures, or read of how the process is going.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rumor is the rail work is being done this week so we should start assembly sometime next week. Hopefully...

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rumor is the rail work is being done this week so we should start assembly sometime next week. Hopefully...

I just saw this thread and read thru the whole thing. I wanted to jump to the end to see the finished table, but I didn't. Now the suspense is killing me! Lol!

Anyway, you guys are doing a great job on these Gold Crowns. Seeing three GC 1's near full restoration at the same time is fun!

I have a GC1 snooker that is mostly finished. The rail work is done, it's converted to a pool table. The frame is painted and set up, I just need to level it, put the bed cloth and rails on. I have not painted the aprons yet, I do have the paint already though. Mine is tangerine.

Keep up the good work!

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just saw this thread and read thru the whole thing. I wanted to jump to the end to see the finished table, but I didn't. Now the suspense is killing me! Lol!

Anyway, you guys are doing a great job on these Gold Crowns. Seeing three GC 1's near full restoration at the same time is fun!

I have a GC1 snooker that is mostly finished. The rail work is done, it's converted to a pool table. The frame is painted and set up, I just need to level it, put the bed cloth and rails on. I have not painted the aprons yet, I do have the paint already though. Mine is tangerine.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks, man! It's been a journey for sure. I can't wait for the day when we can post finished pics. Coming soon!

The ProRailbird

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The suspense is killing you??? Walk a mile in my shoes brother!

I am, I totally understand what you are going through!

My house & table are in Montana, but I'm stuck in Cali at least until spring.

It's a 5x10 GC1 The rails are done, I have every piece I need to finish it. It's a great Montana winter project, but I'm stuck in Cali ! Lol !

Keep up the good work! You are doing a great job!!